Bodenplatte nearly unplayable

Barton

I got it worked out a bit.  Apparently I had to re-learn that in IL-2 BoX lower graphics settings don't necessarily mean better performance, like in just about every other game I've ever encountered.  Still have some stuttering and some anti-aliasing artifacts to straighten out but for the most part it's fixed.  Went on Combat Box and had 60FPS with some stuttering but good enough to get 3 kills with the G-14 w/ Mk108.  Would have had better accuracy but I missed my first burst at the Spit IX I was chasing but nearly 30% is still pretty good.  Then again shooting that P-47 from less than 100m probably helped.  That Mk. 108 really makes you feel like Gallagher 

That has got me thinking.  I wonder if there is any processor I could upgrade to from my Haswell 6-core?  I think it is a socket 2011 newer version though, but not sure, not home to check it right now.  That socket is very good, but I don't think it was ever very widespread, so it would be pretty limiting I imagine.

• 3 weeks later...

On a related note for the O.P. in this thread, FC in multiplayer has become unplayable for me, though not in the sense of actual game performance, which was actually very good; but by reason of CTD's/DTD's.

Ever since the most recent update, I've been unable to finish any sortie that I've started on the J5 server.  Whether I crash 5 minutes into a sortie or over an hour in, I've crashed 100% of the time.

At first I thought it was only on the J5 server, but after seeing that it can occur well after an hour into a sortie, I am by no means sure of that; and I don't really have the desire to fly for over an hour on different servers, to say nothing of how the other BoX games perform.  I rarely if ever fly those.

The one thing that I could think of to do was clear out my "Missions" folder for multiplayer; but after initially seeming successful, that too eventually failed.

So I took the drastic step yesterday of uninstalling my entire game and re-downloading it; and since I have all of the series except the newest pre-order of BoN, it was nearly 20 GB.

I did back up my skins, snapviews and input folders, and printed out almost all of my previous game settings.  However my original installation had a bunch of obsolete game controllers recorded in it, so I've decided to re-enter all of those bindings from scratch to get a cleaner installation.

First thing I noticed was a change in the directory name of "..../IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Moscow" to "..../IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles".  The uninstall actually left a remnant of the first one in that location, so I just manually removed it.

Some of the settings in the game launcher and in the main game are slightly different, in a very few places; I don't really know what significance that has. At least I am fairly confident that I have the most current of all the game files, DirectX and Runtime components.

We will see if I can get back to reliable operation and be able to fly with you guys again, without crashing.  Fingers crossed!

So the reinstall didn't work!  🤪 

But after many patient sorties flown with many thanks to @loopy.... Brano @Baron and Sipi @Pfeil came to my rescue.  Together we went through every graphics setting in the game, and then every setting in the Nvidia Control Panel. Many changes were made in both places, and especially in the game they were actually increased.  With that number of changes it is hard to pin down exactly what caused the apparent resolution, which I am still only very cautiously beginning to believe.

My sincere thanks to all three of them for helping me overcome this unexpected obstacle!  Flying is fun again, and I hope to continue finding you all online.

S!  👍

@Pfeil, @Baron,

Just for information purposes, here is an error log for a typical IL2 crash that I was getting, from the Windows Event viewer:

FC-CTD.jpg

Maybe it gives you or somebody an idea as to why the crashes occurred.

As for flying with you guys: I would very much like to continue; and I usually get on our JG1 TS channel at about 3:00 pm EST, which is 8:00 pm for Loopy, and I guess 9:00 pm for you guys?  But I can get on much earlier any time, if it is better for you fellows.  I know you fly WWII on some days.  I'm interested in FC mostly right now; so if there are certain days that you dedicate to that, please let me know.

S!

Unfortunately, I just had another CTD; and it occurred while I was playing a Quick Mission in single player:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          12/4/2019 2:03:11 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      MSI-X99S
Description:
Faulting application name: Il-2.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x5ddc197a
Faulting module name: VCRUNTIME140.dll, version: 14.15.26706.0, time stamp: 0x5b3efc77
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000000c2ae
Faulting process id: 0x48c4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5aad1dc0c4920
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\bin\game\Il-2.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\VCRUNTIME140.dll
Report Id: aec0881a-e8e9-46c7-bf68-10d1e76e53f3
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-12-04T19:03:11.852647700Z" />
    <EventRecordID>2411</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>MSI-X99S</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Il-2.exe</Data>
    <Data>1.0.0.1</Data>
    <Data>5ddc197a</Data>
    <Data>VCRUNTIME140.dll</Data>
    <Data>14.15.26706.0</Data>
    <Data>5b3efc77</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>000000000000c2ae</Data>
    <Data>48c4</Data>
    <Data>01d5aad1dc0c4920</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\bin\game\Il-2.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\VCRUNTIME140.dll</Data>
    <Data>aec0881a-e8e9-46c7-bf68-10d1e76e53f3</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

😥

33 minutes ago, Klaiber said:

Have you tried running the exe as an Administrator?

Also, have you tried posting on the IL-2 boards?

Well, it used to be set to Run as Administrator, but probably after the re-install, it got changed back to normal.  I just set it to run that way always.  However, it was crashing before I reinstalled it, and it was set to run as administrator then.

I have just now posted in that thread, all of the above info:    https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/21111-finding-the-cause-of-a-random-crash-issue-special-thread-1/?do=findComment&comment=864206

What I have not tried yet is causing the program to run in any special "compatibility mode".  I know this is necessary for RoF; but I haven't needed to do that for Great Battles before now; so not sure if that's necessary to try.  Win 10 64-bit, ver. 1903.

4 hours ago, Baron said:

Thats look like Antivirus problems or with GC. Try download older driver to nVidia.

No anti-virus installed except native Windows Defender, which has been disabled and I still have crashes.

Please recommend a stable earlier driver version, such as what you are using now.  My current nVidia driver version is 441.20

Strangely enough, after some more testing, this is beginning to look like it's associated with the Arras map.  So far I've never crashed on the Lapino summer map.

9 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Hi Luftritter

That DLL is part of Visual C++ 2015 Runtime.

It is possible that some other game did a overwrite.

Try to download it again and reinstall

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

This is what I have on my computer now:

VC.jpg

Also I am not sure which D/L is correct from the link you provided:

Redist.jpg

It is also confusing since the D/L's refer to "Visual Studio", and I'm not sure that's the same thing as "Redistributable". 

Also, is not that part of the original process of downloading the game? (Great Battles)?  Which I just did a couple of days ago.  I could be wrong, but it seemed like the installation routine installed DirectX and (possibly?) MS Visual C++.  However, for that latter one, it just said that newer files were already installed, and that no files would be installed.

If you look at the dates in that first picture, you see that all of the latest versions were either installed or updated on 11/4/19.  I certainly didn't do that!  I'm thinking that must have been part of a Windows Update???

In any case, I am unsure exactly what to do; would installing MS Visual C++ 2019 pre-empt all of the other versions? (see the message "for example" under the links in the second picture).

For now I have done nothing, since I don't want to accidentally screw anything up.

Actually I installed both the x86 and x64 versions (links 1 and 2 of the "updates").  I think that's necessary if you have a 64-bit operating system (Great Battles is a 32-bit game).  Anyhow, this is what I have now:

programs.jpg

Interesting how the new 2015-2019 versions seem to have replaced the older 2017 versions.  That could be a good thing.  Hopefully I have a new .dll and it won't crash again.  If it does, at least it should now identify a different version of that dll, and we'll know that it isn't the actual driver causing the crash.

I also ran a scan:

C:\WINDOWS\System32>sfc /scannow

I actually did it before I got the new drivers; and it found some corrupted operating system and/or registry files and corrected them.  Don't know if they were related at all.

Anyway, should be good for another try.

Thanks!

Game crash a few minutes ago while running QMB on Arras map.  This time, difference in that there were many error message screens.  However, each time I took a screen shot, another one appeared after it....so there was no way to get them all.  Basically it was saying that the program could not perform some function that it was being asked to do.

I have to say I think the current Great Battles release is bugged.  It is probably in a way that very few realize, since how many actually have G-sync?  That has got to have something to do with it.  And, I still haven't had a crash, except on the Arras map.  That could be a coincidence, or it may be very significant.

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Error

Date:          12/5/2019 5:29:23 PM

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      MSI-X99S

Description:

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.18362.387, time stamp: 0x8e064b77

Faulting module name: dwmcore.dll, version: 10.0.18362.387, time stamp: 0x6906a3c8

Exception code: 0xc00001ad

Fault offset: 0x000000000015c12a

Faulting process id: 0x4b4

Faulting application start time: 0x01d5aba43294a08d

Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwm.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwmcore.dll

Report Id: ea76357b-afd8-4e4f-9371-c39c90c25452

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-12-05T22:29:23.076266100Z" />

<EventRecordID>2695</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>MSI-X99S</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>dwm.exe</Data>

<Data>10.0.18362.387</Data>

<Data>8e064b77</Data>

<Data>dwmcore.dll</Data>

<Data>10.0.18362.387</Data>

<Data>6906a3c8</Data>

<Data>c00001ad</Data>

<Data>000000000015c12a</Data>

<Data>4b4</Data>

<Data>01d5aba43294a08d</Data>

<Data>C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwm.exe</Data>

<Data>C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwmcore.dll</Data>

<Data>ea76357b-afd8-4e4f-9371-c39c90c25452</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Yeah, I did look that up.

It is time for me to try harder to narrow things down.  I only have 2 games.... Great Battles and RoF; but I need to fly RoF long enough to ensure it never crashes.  I also need to determine with greater confidence that it doesn't crash in other areas or maps within Great Battles.

I thank you and Baron for your diligent attention.  I hope to soon have a much better idea of what's going on.

👍