Sign in to follow this  
Barton

Bodenplatte nearly unplayable

Yeah, I did look that up.

It is time for me to try harder to narrow things down.  I only have 2 games.... Great Battles and RoF; but I need to fly RoF long enough to ensure it never crashes.  I also need to determine with greater confidence that it doesn't crash in other areas or maps within Great Battles.

I thank you and Baron for your diligent attention.  I hope to soon have a much better idea of what's going on.

👍

20 hours ago, Labroisse said:

NVM, I saw you said you tried this earlier.

As you see, it initially DID find some corrupt files and stuff....probably minor and unrelated, though.  Once it had corrected what it found, and I had installed the Visual C++ 2015/2017/2019, I ran it again; and it came up clean.

You might try uninstalling the the 2015-2019 Visual C++ and reinstalling them using the Visual C++ executables that are inside the game's redistribution folder.  That should have occurred when you reinstalled the game, but perhaps they didn't install then because you already had a newer version installed.

Anyway, worth a try since sometimes games can be finicky if the correct version of the VCC package isn't installed.

Huh, I didn't know that those installation files resided within the game files; how convenient.  Thanks!

I did learn a couple of things. One, the problem is only associated with Great Battles; it does not occur with RoF, or any other normal program. So I don't believe it's associated with hardware at all.  Two, it is associated with Great Battles in general, not just FC. Three, it is not limited to the Arras map, or any specific map; or any specific plane.

I am trying to isolate what is different about my rig from most other people's, and have come up with this: one, I use G-sync. Two, I run at a higher than normal resolution: 3440 x 1440. Three, my version of Windows 10 may be newer than most: ver. 1903.

I really thought I had it yesterday....I disabled G-sync on my monitor/Nvidia CP/game, and set everything to run at a standard 60Hz refresh rate. I flew around for over an hour and had just convinced myself that the problem was fixed; I was down to about 5 minutes of fuel, and on my final landing approach.... then pfffft! Back to desktop.  Frustrating.

I will try what Labroisse suggested; and if that doesn't work, I will try running the game in a compatibility mode.  Then I may go so far as to do the Windows "reset this computer" thing, but I think to be worthwhile, you really need to clear all your programs in that process, so that the registry gets a clean start. But I will lose some expensive programs that I can't replace, if I did that.

I'm even considering just building a new computer and starting again from scratch.  Sadly, it's beginning to look like I'll be defunct for FiF / FC, before it even starts.

My main concern is why is it showing 1066 MHz, when it should be 2133?  This memory is actually supposed to be capable of 3000 MHz.  I wonder is it throttled for some reason.  I need to look into that in the BIOS, it always said 2133 before.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding the information as presented by CPUz for memory.

I have Memtest86 and need to run those tests, but you have to create a bootable flash drive to do it.

Validation.jpgMemory.jpg

Memory-1.jpg

Well I got the answer to that indicated memory speed.  That speed shown above is the clock speed, not the processing speed (pretty misleading). Notice that if you double it, you get 2133 MHz, which is the standard speed it is currently running at.

Spent yesterday running Memtest86 from a bootable drive (very time consuming).  It is a very thorough process (11 tests done 4 times in sequence). It takes hours even with 16 GB and a fast processor.  I got zero errors. Definitely no problem there.

After that I ran the stress test built into CPU-z.  100% CPU usage at top speed (3.7 GHz) on all 6 cores, for 2 hours straight.  No individual core temp ever got over 42 deg C; in fact that is only 2 or 3 deg C over the idle temperatures.  No crashes obviously, but stable at 100% the whole time too.  This CPU is fine.  I might do another test today using Prime95, but don't expect any problems.

I'm going to stress test the GPU today using a program associated with MSI Afterburner.  If everything comes out good with that, I may wipe my whole operating system and start over.