Thrustmaster Warthog Slew Upgrade

Lipfert

Kameraden,

Never been happy with the slew axis on my Warthog, so I did this today and am happy to report it's well worth it. Going to come in handy for all sorts of functions in the pit, if you've got this throttle I recommend it.

The Mod

ROdVnHV.jpg

Before

6GdJllV.jpg

In progress

ApjKUSu.jpg

Complete

ZOEkIpl.jpg

Where I got it

Delta Sim Website

Good post about the install and configuration

S!

11 hours ago, Klaiber said:

Just ordered one.  Should be here in June sometime. :)

Klaiber,

In the video, he manages to extract the original one with just his finger. I had to use a flat screwdriver on the bottom and loosen it up, minor pressure though (not a concern).

S!

Not sure how old the required firmware is....but I did install the latest that was available at the time I replaced the mainboard.  So it may already be good.  EDIT: I see in the video that the date of the required ver. 23 firmware is 09/10/2013.  So you're almost certainly already good to go.

Looks like you would just need the firmware updater from the website, and that will tell you what you currently have (see the above video).  Apparently you don't need T.A.R.G.E.T. for that aspect.  I would say that if the original slew worked in-game without T.A.R.G.E.T., the new device should work too.

Probably safest to only have the throttle plugged in when you do it (unplug the joystick).  And if updating, use a USB 2.0 port, like Lipfert said.  But there is little chance that any of that is necessary.

16 hours ago, Britchot said:

I had to update mine from 22 to 23, my mini-stick worked just fine.  However, the older firmware didn't recognize the new slew.  How do I know... I didn't update at first.

With 23 dated 2013, you must have originally got it before then....is that the case?  Anyway he'll know soon enough....there's no reason he can't check it right now, why wait?  It's not like the old unit would quit working if updating to 23 turns out to be necessary.

My experience was not as joyful. The one I got had a massive amount of drift in both axes so I had to apply about a 75% dead band for X and Y. Clearly, I got a bad unit. 

As a result, the remaining 25% of physical throw had 100% of the input range, so I had to cut the sensitivity down accordingly. Works fine now, but i had to work to get it to a usable state. 

1 minute ago, Karl Spackler said:

My experience was not as joyful. The one I got had a massive amount of drift in both axes so I had to apply about a 75% dead band for X and Y. Clearly, I got a bad unit. 

As a result, the remaining 25% of physical throw had 100% of the input range, so I had to cut the sensitivity down accordingly. Works fine now, but i had to work to get it to a usable state. 

Did you request a replacement from Delta?