FiF Spring Campaign

Salute to the Flight Sim Community.

Normally we would be offering Flanders in Flames Spring Campaign. Unfortunately we are not going forward with FiF at this time. The recent changes to the DM have created a huge disparity in plane survivability. 

We have made a commitment to FC as being the next generation WW I flight sim but do not want to put forward an event based on a sim with obvious problems. The developers are aware of the situation and are actively seeking a solution to the DM problem. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. At that time we will re-evaluate.

Thank you for your support and understanding.

The planeset is borked even without the DM changes.  I cannot stand that they gave the Entente the Brisfit as their two-seater.  They have all the speed advantage so flying German is frustrating because every encounter where they run, it's like, okay let them go.

At least in FiF we get to play both sides, Bloody April was...fun but somewhat *special* for Alb jockeys. 

Honestly let's just play some RoF, it is still a beautiful game IMO, it runs well, and the planesets are dynamic.  I miss it.  That FiF we did with early planes over eastern England was fun as hell.  I miss the Handley-Page and Gothas.  I mean, I can still load it up and fly single player but the events were so great.   Some people have expressed that the flight model is better in FC, and I would say to that, "Marginally."

Sticking with FC seems just too limiting.  We're going to be doing the same thing over and over and over instead of having larger maps and more choices in every respect.  I may be in a minority here, but this is how I feel. 

1 hour ago, EmerlistDavjack said:

The planeset is borked even without the DM changes.  I cannot stand that they gave the Entente the Brisfit as their two-seater.  They have all the speed advantage so flying German is frustrating because every encounter where they run, it's like, okay let them go.

At least in FiF we get to play both sides, Bloody April was...fun but somewhat *special* for Alb jockeys. 

Honestly let's just play some RoF, it is still a beautiful game IMO, it runs well, and the planesets are dynamic.  I miss it.  That FiF we did with early planes over eastern England was fun as hell.  I miss the Handley-Page and Gothas.  I mean, I can still load it up and fly single player but the events were so great.   Some people have expressed that the flight model is better in FC, and I would say to that, "Marginally."

Sticking with FC seems just too limiting.  We're going to be doing the same thing over and over and over instead of having larger maps and more choices in every respect.  I may be in a minority here, but this is how I feel. 

I'd certainly be down for RoF but I think the dedicated VR guys won't participate.

2 hours ago, EmerlistDavjack said:

At least in FiF we get to play both sides, Bloody April was...fun but somewhat *special* for Alb jockeys

:lol::lol::lol:  You, my friend, have a very strange idea of "fun" ...

Kidding aside, I agree with you. I'd be up for an informal ROF run.  Butzzell once talked to me about an idea he had. Recall when we were kids and we'd chose up teams for a ballgame or something?  Who would be open for a semi-organized "pick up" game in ROF?  Maybe run it for a week or 2.

Vonrd is right though, many guys won't participate,( some don't even have it installed anymore), but if enough are willing and able, why not?

Of course, I'm putting this out there without even considering Butz and the work that could be involved.......

*edit* Just to be clear, I did have fun in BA even if it was *special*   One thing I enjoyed most was getting to fly with some of you guys that I usually don't.

I think the VR crowd is relatively small still, but it would be sad if people uninstalled RoF. 

The thing about events is that it isn't like a nightly server game, I would say that ~80% of us are in Squadrons, and we can pack a 70 player server if people show up.  It's the Squadrons and the organization that keeps this WWI gameplay alive.  If JG1, J5, 103rd (or whatever they are now) 1 PL, J99 etc etc say that we are doing RoF for a run, I think (or hope) that most flyers would be interested.  That's my thoughts on the matter.  If we can roll 30 vs 30 in FC with mostly Squadrons, we can  get 20 vs 20 for RoF, and that's enough for me. 

Maybe one of the draws for an RoF event would be that we can do Early War.  So we can do events between events, sometimes we fly FC for late war (bullshit planesets), and sometimes we fly other eras (and good planesets).  I'm sure some people miss the challenge of using a single gun in a wonky aircraft.  Makes me want to hop in an FE2 right now...

12 hours ago, EmerlistDavjack said:

They have all the speed advantage so flying German is frustrating because every encounter where they run, it's like, okay let them go.

You have short memory 😀

I remember clearly chasing Breguets, Bristols and RE8 with Albs and not able to catch them in ROF.

No wonder you cant catch Bristol if you have the 2 slowest aircraft in planeset. I have no such problem with DVII or DVIIF.

6 hours ago, Kliegmann said:

Nope, uninstalled ROF, and not interested in flying it anymore

Same here. If was great but can't compare to FC. 

As stated elsewhere I'm up for it, but I'm pretty sure filling a server is a fantasy.  All that's needed is the server and simple mission(s), and especially an advertised time and place.

Doesn't have to be JG1 either, J5 obviously has some great resources too.

On 5/11/2020 at 6:06 PM, J5_Gamecock said:

Recall when we were kids and we'd chose up teams for a ballgame or something?  Who would be open for a semi-organized "pick up" game in ROF?

Vonrd is right though, many guys won't participate,( some don't even have it installed anymore), but if enough are willing and able, why not?

I uninstalled it so I wouldn't get picked last.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest patch for Flying Circus may not be perfect but is felt to be a step in the right direction. We would like to go ahead with a shortened version of Flanders in Flames 2020 Spring campaign. This will be a "Dry Run" on 30, May followed by just four weeks of combat, June 6th, 13th, 20th and 27th. Each team will  have two weeks as Entente and two weeks as Central.  Planes will be Dolphin, SE5a, Bristol, Alb DVa, Pfalz D3, Fokker D7 vanilla - no f- and Halb CL 2.

While Flying Circus allows for many more "Live" targets, we found that in the last campaign that the large number of bombing targets removed the need to do many of the specialty missions. For this campaign we will return to a map with numbered targets. The game will announce which of the targets is "Live" for this session.

Machine guns still line the trenches on each side but have been removed from targets. Targets have one flak gun except for factories which have two. 

No trains. Entente has three ships that are stationary and must be found. Central has three ships moving on rivers.

Each side has three on road vehicle convoys. Last vehicle is a flak gun.

Because of soggy ground the Spy mission and the General capture mission have been removed.

The Prisoner Rescue mission is back. The time for the ambulance to go from the prison to the airfield has been reduced. Mission works exactly as in RoF. Landing at the enemy airfield to pick up the prisoner will not be seen as a capture by the game.  The Prisoner now mentions an area that must be searched for a target. This is similar to the Spy and general Capture missions of the past. When Landing at a friendly base the Prisoner mission activates a Reserve Unit target.

The Trench attack mission is still triggered by completing the Trench Map recon. The Trench attack mission has been changed. It has been moved closer to the middle of the mud. It represents a weakness in the Central front lines.  It is now a broken city. There are several broken cities on the map with tracers all around them. You will have to make sure you are at the correct position. There are 7 Central MG posts next to buildings and 9 Entente MG posts around the city in a semi circle.  The MG posts on both sides have a circle of crates around them for easier spotting so that you know you are at the correct target. Entente must destroy all 7 Central posts and Central must destroy all 9 Entente MG posts. The first team to complete their mission blocks the other team from completing the mission.  Success 1, Failure 0.  This is a change from our normal scoring system.

Updated maps and info will be posted shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

S! All

The present FiF is almost a completely new file. Thanks to the many people that have been testing it, most of the bugs and glitches have been found.

A couple of changes from the past.

A trench attack plane is not necessary. Any plane can attack the MGs when the trench attack mission pops up.

The altitude for the HQ recon is  above 2 km and below 4 km. There are only three locations. There is no way to know which one is active. You must fly directly over the building. About 10 seconds later you will get a message to make a second pass.