Sign in to follow this  
Etzel

Thread on Aircraft Spotting in the IL2-Forum & Stormbirds.org

Hi Mates,

Just wanted to point out, that the never ending issue of aircraft spotting actually is boiled up again at in the IL2-Forum:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/64680-discussion-on-the-plane-visibility-issue/

So far I did not even read through the Opening Posting of Han, not talking about the 11 Pages of ongoing discussions. But there is also a blog entry by shamrockonefive in his blog: https://stormbirds.blog/2020/08/22/il-2-devs-talk-spotting-in-great-battles/

..and that one I did read through and I agree by 100% with his experience on that topic and on his conclusions.

For me the spotting ability still is the absolute main factor when it comes to a dog fight and I still have severe difficulties on it; thats also one of the main reasons that many times I prefer flying attackers or bombers (especially in WW2); it's absolutely not because I don't like flying fighters, it's simply because searching for ground targets to attack has simply less frustration potential as flying through the air for long time, screening the environment all the time and in the end suddenly find myself stuck in a dogfight with nearly hopeless starting conditions.

Well, during the last month and weeks, when we europe pilots managed to fly more frequently in groups of 2, 3 or sometimes even 4 I definitely see a progress in our spotting skills, but still it's a long long way to go bevore I can call myself a relevant factor during the fights for air superiority!

What I like about shamrocks post is that the reading gave simply gave me a feeling of justification... it's not (at least not only) my own shortcoming but it is a very difficult thing in IL2 and it is a problem for many many other pilots too;  not only for bloody noobs but also for pilots that flying this (and other) sim(s) for years now; thus that blog entry can be shown to any new player who's suffering on that situation too.... 😜

And btw. that spotting issue is one more reason why I hope they put some focus back on FC1: For my taste in WW1 environment that issue is not that crucial, simply because of the much slower planes... Even if someone with perfect VR-Set-Up on the highest setting spots you minutes before you spot him... when he comes in sight to you in most cases you still will have chances to react somehow and compensate the situation.

So I think 1C should see, that FC probably could be the best "starter drug" to the Il2 world: The planes are much more easy to learn than the ones in WW2, less engine management means you need less sophisticated hardware-controlers to still fly them properly, the situation with slower planes makes it easer also for people with not that powerfull hardware.... Nevertheless it is a full realism simulation that in many cases will light the fire of passion for combat simulation ... therefore will in the long term produce also customers for all the other modules...

Salute

Etzel