Motherboard sound

Barton

So my Fiancé just got a desktop PC because a coworker needled her a little bit about using a laptop for her home office (she is a software developer).  She bought the PC on craigslist and it's a mid-range gaming PC with a ASUS Crossfire V Formula - Z motherboard, 8GB RAM, GTX660 2GB video card, and a pair of SSD all running Windows 10.  Everything seemed fine and dandy until we tried to use the audio jacks for her headset.  Plugging the headset into the front jacks did nothing, and plugging them into the rear did nothing either.  I looked into the sound settings and could only find audio for the HDMI connections. No options for anything else.  I checked the device manager and could only see the NVIDIA audio for the graphics card.  I checked the BIOS and couldn't see any options for audio.  I checked drivers and got nowhere.  I downloaded RealTek audio software and nothing changes.  I even plugged in my bluetooth headset from my PC to see what would happen and it doesn't even get recognized.  Thinking we may have to buy a dedicated soundcard?  I told her to e-mail ASUS about it but considering the MOBO is from 2012 and the last update to the BIOS was 2014 I'm not sure what kind of support she will be able to get.  Any ideas?

18 hours ago, Barton said:

coworker needled her a little bit about using a laptop for her home office (she is a software developer).

I am software developer and use laptop in home office and in office... no need to pretend "I need a new pc for work" I just tell my wife I need a new gaming pc :D

On 11/8/2020 at 4:40 PM, Snaggle said:

USB sound card works great! If everything else works and it’s that old just plug in a USB sound cart and be done with it

I was contemplating a PCIe soundcard since there are a couple of unused slots.

On 11/9/2020 at 2:53 AM, Pfeil said:

I am software developer and use laptop in home office and in office... no need to pretend "I need a new pc for work" I just tell my wife I need a new gaming pc :D

Oh this wasn't for "me" in a round-a-bout way.  I have my gaming PC.  It was just a PC we found online for $300.  Could hardly argue with the price.

On 11/9/2020 at 8:03 AM, Labroisse said:

Are you sure the BIOS didn't have option to disable/enable onboard audio?  That would be unusual.  Perhaps note the BIOS manufacturer/version number and google onboard audio for that BIOS.

As far as I know I checked every menu and option of the BIOS and I found nothing for onboard audio.  I checked the BIOS version and there is only one version newer than what it has.  I may end up trying to uninstall the graphics card, delete the drivers, and then try to see if I can get everything working through the mobo before reinstalling the graphics card because right now the HDMI ports are the only thing recognized as audio outputs.