WW 1 DCS World Flying Circus (BETA) - MOD

Klaiber

Yeah, you would need to download DCS World Open Beta:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/beta/

And create an account.

You would then have access to the two free aircraft - the TF-51 Mustang and Su-25T.

Then, you would just need to download the mod and install it.  Which should be just a folder drop.

I can't speak to the quality of the mod, but it looks promising.

Here is a livestream using it:

• Klaiber changed the title to WW 1 DCS World Flying Circus (BETA) - MOD

Ironically I never considered the possibility of a DCS WW1 add on. Now confronted with the idea I am truly intrigued with it & hope some developer takes a whole hearted swing at creating a WW1 map (though the Normandy map would do in a pinch) as well as all the aircraft. Having said that I do not think it would likely do well. While I firmly believe DCS is a superior platform its financial model (where you buy each item individually) would likely not be embraced by the WW1 community unless each plane were on the same price scale as say Rise of Flight.  

Eagle Dynamics developing WW1 would be absolutely wonderful. I really think it could shine within that platform.

However, I agree that the DCS community, as a whole, wouldn't embrace it quickly.   WW2 stuff got flak for years for "taking resources away from the *real* aircraft."  Few, if anyone, says that now, but it was a common mantra amongst the jet-jocks about 5 years ago.

14 hours ago, Klaiber said:

it was a common mantra amongst the jet-jocks about 5 years ago.

It still is... Any new module announced that isnt the latest & greatest aircraft gets a fair amount of derision. 

IMO these ultra modern aircraft probably arent the best investment financially speaking for developers. The super complex systems take literally YEARS to develop. Cold War aircraft would be so much quicker for them to crank out. More basic / simple systems means development time is greatly reduced so they can move on to the next project much more quickly instead of them lingering in prerelease state for YEARS. 

WW1 aircraft would be even better. A few simple gauges, detailed visual & flight model & Bobs your Uncle, you got a release ready aircraft. A single developer could crank out the entire WW1 planeset in a few months. Even if they charged a premium for all aircraft I bet there would be no shortage of people jumping on it. 

3 hours ago, Yogi said:

It still is... Any new module announced that isnt the latest & greatest aircraft gets a fair amount of derision. 

Ain't that the truth. 

3 hours ago, Yogi said:

IMO these ultra modern aircraft probably arent the best investment financially speaking for developers. The super complex systems take literally YEARS to develop. Cold War aircraft would be so much quicker for them to crank out. More basic / simple systems means development time is greatly reduced so they can move on to the next project much more quickly instead of them lingering in prerelease state for YEARS. 

WW1 aircraft would be even better. A few simple gauges, detailed visual & flight model & Bobs your Uncle, you got a release ready aircraft. A single developer could crank out the entire WW1 planeset in a few months. Even if they charged a premium for all aircraft I bet there would be no shortage of people jumping on it. 

For me, I love Cold War stuff specifically because it's more analog, with a smattering of old school computer systems thrown in.  It feels "real" to me.  So, I'm completely game for anything ED (or their 3rd-party developers) want to produce of that era or before.  Plus, I think that since many of these older aircraft are no longer in service, most systems (though not all) are declassified.  And thus the overall fidelity of the aircraft can be much more faithfully recreated.  I've always felt that ED should concentrate on this type of stuff, giving us more aircraft from the 1960s and 1970s.

And this translates over to WW1.  I really feel that this in an area where ED can excel.

The points you outline above are right on.  The aircraft of 1916 to 1918 are relatively simple in the cockpit, they don't have weird moving parts on the external models like swing wings or anything like that (unless you're counting wing warping).  There is no raising your gear, so no need for animation there.  I think WW1 aircraft would be much faster to produce with extreme accuracy.

And for the simmer, I don't see WW1 aircraft as being *easy* or *quaint*.  The flight models for many of them, from stall recovery to maneuverability, can be extremely challenging for modern pilots to master.  (I'm looking at you Dr.I and Camel).  And if you think about it, the arms race of 1914 to 1918 is staggering in terms of pace and technological development.  In 1914, they're throwing anchors and flechettes at each other.  By 1918, it's fully modern air combat.