This is a double post, one here where I can easily find it, and one on Discord just for informational purposes.

I went on the open server yesterday. I tried to get a JU 88 off one of the fields but couldn't see which way the R/W ran. Ended up not able to get off the ground because I wasn't on the R/W. It was an A/F that seemed to have concrete on the apron and a grass field for the R/W.  I looked at the map at the other A/F and noticed it appeared to be of the same configuration, half grass, half concrete. I would ask, for the sake of the 88, which has a very limited field of view in the pilot's seat that more markers be in place to assist in getting on the R/W proper. Just a thought.

@Butzzell will have to comment on the map making aspects of this.

However, we'll see about adding map layouts of the airbases to the Map post.  This should help people orient themselves when they spawn in, and hopefully locate the best runways for take-off.

For the Ju 88 on the TIF map, take-off is difficult due to the relatively short concrete runways.  In JG1, we've been taking as little fuel as possible (as you don't need a ton of such a small map), and we've been careful about selecting our ordinance.  We've also taxied off the concrete runway, way into the grass.  Starting our take-off from out there has significantly helped.

But, as I said, I'll see about creating some airbase layouts. :)

Finding the runway was no problem for me in VR. I flew Axis and from both airfields Handorf and Susseldorf (?). I can’t back you (Target) up in this case. I noticed that the A/C spawn along side of the runway. When numeral A/C spawn at the same time you end up away from the beginning of the runway. In case of a heavy loaded Ju88 you have to go on the runway to avoid new spawning A/C and taxi to the left to the beginning of the runway and turn back again for the max take off length. Probably the same on Allied airfields. 

No, there was me and one other that spawned, the windsock was across from me and if nothing is different in this server this usually marks the end of the R/W. I didn't notice any fires like in other servers, but this I know is a marker placed by the map writer. Not necessarily something that is found on every server.  I moved to the sock and aligned the wind on my nose but was still off the R/W and, not able to distinguish between mowed and unmowed grass, or I should say, I still didn't see the mowed area marking the R/W, I tried to T/O, results being predictable.

Is the end of the R/W marked with a fire and I just missed it? Or is the sock not a good indicator of the R/W, I thought I was running the right course for the R/W configuration as shown on the map.

That detailed map is very nice indeed.

1 hour ago, TWC_Target said:

Is the end of the R/W marked with a fire and I just missed it? Or is the sock not a good indicator of the R/W, I thought I was running the right course for the R/W configuration as shown on the map.

I don't believe there is any runway fire.  And the windsock can be misleading.

We'll talk and see if there is something that can be done.

Back in 2015 HR_zal put together a couple of collections of maps in pdf format. I don't think anyone has done similar for the later maps... pity.

Stalingrad

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3emIgfIMJ_mY2E5WkZrNmhjemc/view

Velikie Luki

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3emIgfIMJ_maG15YzI1T0FkckU/view

I think that we could make screenshots from the air or from the mission builder but the simplest thing is just to zoom all the way in on the in game map while you're warming up on the ramp and you can see the airfield lay out. Just use the compass to orient yourself.