Jump to content

Storm of War DCS server shutdown.


Britchot
 Share

Recommended Posts

I was heart-broken when Browning discontinued the Hi-Power in 2018, but it was a blessing in disguise.  Now there are three manufacturers offering their own versions of this pistol from anywhere between $500 and $1300 (because FN).  SOW was a good server, but if there is a vacuum left behind it will be filled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Barton said:

I was heart-broken when Browning discontinued the Hi-Power in 2018, but it was a blessing in disguise.  Now there are three manufacturers offering their own versions of this pistol from anywhere between $500 and $1300 (because FN).  SOW was a good server, but if there is a vacuum left behind it will be filled.

My Hi-Power is an original made in 1981. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/28/2022 at 5:48 PM, Snaggle said:

My Hi-Power is an original made in 1981. 😁

Mine is a 1993 model made in Belgium.  Was in original Mk. III trim when I bought it.  Previous owner(s) apparently hadn't heard of this thing called "cleaning".  As soon as it was in my hands I took it to the range and tried to put rounds downrange but couldn't make it through a single magazine without at least one failure.  After I took it home, disassembled it, and cleaned two decades worth of grime out of it, it was shooting just fine (with the exception of hammer bite).  I sent it to Robar just before they shut down their firearms operations and had it done over.  Mag safety delete, wider trigger, trigger tune, new sights, new wood grips, SFS hammer system, NP3+ coated all the internals and some accent parts, RoGuard for the frame and slide.  This gun will never go for sale.  If I need money, I'll rob a bank with it before I sell it.

IMG_2215.thumb.JPG.8badc430e910a008d0e814ad38a15c9f.JPGIMG_2213.thumb.JPG.3e98071c14bd826e6e5f5b465ed41574.JPG

 

For those curious about what the SFS system is:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have some collector guns.  I have a 1944 Vintage M1 Garand, an Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine (replica, not original), a Colt WW1 reproduction 1911 (first gun I ever bought), a 1941 Winchester Auto-5 (Winchester took over production of the Auto-5 after the Nazis took the FN factory), and a Winchester 1897 made in 1911.  I had a sporterized springfield 1903 made in 1910 that I sold a while ago.  I also have a couple of AR-15s, a P226 Mk25, and a Dan Wesson Vigil 1911.  I guess you could say I have a thing for guns...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, that certainly beats me.

I have a Chinese clone of a Tokarev TT-33 (I think it's a Norinco and I have barrels and mags for both 7.62x25 as well as 9×19mm Parabellum.) Not very accurate beyond 25 ft. but it's my home defense and I wouldn't think anything beyond that range matters. It rarely fails to chamber (only when I've been lax in cleaning as Barton mentions). It was a trade for services so didn't cost me a thing really. 

Also have a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 ga with skeet and modified barrels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

S!
Well, It is always sad lost a popular WWII server, specialty DCS.
My concern is about the reason, according Phil:
 

Quote

Despite January 2022 being the busiest month ever for the server, our opinion as a team is that DCS WW2 is not a product that is compelling enough for us to continue and we don’t have enough confidence in its development.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Vonrd said:

Well, that certainly beats me.

I have a Chinese clone of a Tokarev TT-33 (I think it's a Norinco and I have barrels and mags for both 7.62x25 as well as 9×19mm Parabellum.) Not very accurate beyond 25 ft. but it's my home defense and I wouldn't think anything beyond that range matters. It rarely fails to chamber (only when I've been lax in cleaning as Barton mentions). It was a trade for services so didn't cost me a thing really. 

Also have a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 ga with skeet and modified barrels.

Can't argue with that!

7 hours ago, Hess said:

S!
Well, It is always sad lost a popular WWII server, specialty DCS.
My concern is about the reason, according Phil:
 

 

Development is slow in DCS because of the intricacies of the aircraft models.  Greater rate of return with the more complex jets especially since DCS has a near monopoly on the modern combat sim (with a couple exceptions).  Good news is that DCS should be around for a while so every new WW2 module will add to the list and hopefully we will have a decent theater soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2022 at 1:05 AM, Barton said:

I was heart-broken when Browning discontinued the Hi-Power in 2018, but it was a blessing in disguise.  Now there are three manufacturers offering their own versions of this pistol from anywhere between $500 and $1300 (because FN).  SOW was a good server, but if there is a vacuum left behind it will be filled.

I like your analogy. Apparently FN saw the gap that they themselves had created and recently announced they would be reintroducing the HP. It appears the new design is little more than an hommage. Funny how a Springfield "clone" is more faithful to the original than a new design from Herstal. They never even mentioned Dieudonné Saive, who turned JMB's early drafts into an actual gun.

While we're at it, I think we should make a strictly non-political gun thread. I'm not an owner yet, but I'm working on that (obtaining a collector's license here in Poland is a bit of a pain in the backside). I'm more of a CZ guy than a Hi-Power devotee, but I can appreciate a fine example like @Barton's.

As for the server itself, I'm surprised they decided to pull the plug when riding high. Doubtless there will be some stiff competition for who comes up with the best replacement. I wonder why they said they no confidence in the development of DCS: WW2. With the Corsair and the Mosquito coming things are starting to look up on that front, at least from an outsider's perspective. Maybe it's time for ED to give us something Soviet for a change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Firefly said:

I like your analogy. Apparently FN saw the gap that they themselves had created and recently announced they would be reintroducing the HP. It appears the new design is little more than an hommage. Funny how a Springfield "clone" is more faithful to the original than a new design from Herstal. They never even mentioned Dieudonné Saive, who turned JMB's early drafts into an actual gun.

While we're at it, I think we should make a strictly non-political gun thread. I'm not an owner yet, but I'm working on that (obtaining a collector's license here in Poland is a bit of a pain in the backside). I'm more of a CZ guy than a Hi-Power devotee, but I can appreciate a fine example like @Barton's.

There are things that are throwbacks to the OG Hi-power that FN did that Springfield did not.  Both have taken the platform and made improvements.  I really can't believe Browning never put in the development to update the Hi-power over the last 30 years of production.  The MK3 was horrendously out-dated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...