OpenXR Settings for il-2 Sturmovik

Lipfert

Kameraden,

With so many options, I wanted to actually record what I'm seeing in game. This is a test using OpenXR with XSplit and Twitch. Starting with il-2 first. Settings for all are WIP.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1519512972

S!

Note: After looking at this, I might have to record and upload. Have a busy one today, but I'll try later in the weekend. What I can say in game is that it's smooth.

Hi Lipfert,

thanks for sharing the video stream. 

I´ve set the sharpening in OpenXR toolkit to 70% meanwhile, because at 100% it appeared too grainy to me, too hard edged, but that´s just personal taste ...

As you get between 60 and 70 FPS, have you tried to deactivate shadows and set MSAA to 0 to reach 90FPS? Maybe also reducing visible range to 120 instead 150.
Video streams of VR can´t mirror how image quality is perceived in VR, but for me it makes a big difference if IL-2 is running at 90FPS compared to 60 - 70FPS - the feel of speed and fluidness at 90FPS is much more enjoyable to me. Not quite observable instantly, like shadows on or off, but definitely on the longterm of flying in the sim.

There is also a setting in the Nvidia driver, which is always overlooked:

2133439034_nvidiasetting.thumb.JPG.99a02d590bd3e89d8dbc0258f115bf2a.JPG 

It´s in this page shown above and must be named in english something like dynamic range:

dynamic_full.JPG.b029c322cbbf4af02db4aeb76a221256.JPG

By default it is set to ´limited´. Setting it to ´full´ has got a big impact on how the colors appear. After each installation of a new Nvidia driver, I have to set it to "full" manually.

The downside of this setting to full is visible for example at night time flying in the light of the moon, which casts different shades, of which are visible separated of each other. Don´t know how to describe in better words - I´m sure there is a special word for this effect. I can live with that, as I don´t fly at night time in the sim 🙂

Lipfert

On 7/1/2022 at 1:12 PM, Lipfert said:

Kameraden,

With so many options, I wanted to actually record what I'm seeing in game. This is a test using OpenXR with XSplit and Twitch. Starting with il-2 first. Settings for all are WIP.

S!

Note: After looking at this, I might have to record and upload. Have a busy one today, but I'll try later in the weekend. What I can say in game is that it's smooth.

I'm trying your settings now.   So far I seem to be getting very similar framerates in WWI aircraft, but I do see some small stuttering particularly in the horizon when rolling back and forth on the deck.    It also occurs at times when making tight turns over a city at rooftop level.   The funny thing is it does not always appear to be connected to framerate.   I may go back to MSAAx4 as I hate jaggies.

Kameraden,

S!

Thank you! I just tried your exact settings (except I put the visible range down to 130) settings and went from about 40-45 fps to 55-60. I left shadows on your settings because in WW1 especially that can be a big help locating airplanes.

10 hours ago, Gus said:

Hi Lipfert,

thanks for sharing the video stream. 

I´ve set the sharpening in OpenXR toolkit to 70% meanwhile, because at 100% it appeared too grainy to me, too hard edged, but that´s just personal taste ...

As you get between 60 and 70 FPS, have you tried to deactivate shadows and set MSAA to 0 to reach 90FPS? Maybe also reducing visible range to 120 instead 150.
Video streams of VR can´t mirror how image quality is perceived in VR, but for me it makes a big difference if IL-2 is running at 90FPS compared to 60 - 70FPS - the feel of speed and fluidness at 90FPS is much more enjoyable to me. Not quite observable instantly, like shadows on or off, but definitely on the longterm of flying in the sim.

There is also a setting in the Nvidia driver, which is always overlooked:

2133439034_nvidiasetting.thumb.JPG.99a02d590bd3e89d8dbc0258f115bf2a.JPG 

It´s in this page shown above and must be named in english something like dynamic range:

dynamic_full.JPG.b029c322cbbf4af02db4aeb76a221256.JPG

By default it is set to ´limited´. Setting it to ´full´ has got a big impact on how the colors appear. After each installation of a new Nvidia driver, I have to set it to "full" manually.

The downside of this setting to full is visible for example at night time flying in the light of the moon, which casts different shades, of which are visible separated of each other. Don´t know how to describe in better words - I´m sure there is a special word for this effect. I can live with that, as I don´t fly at night time in the sim 🙂

I don't know how to get this exact screen open for the driver. I opened nvidia control pad but I don't see it there.

11 hours ago, Flyboy said:

I don't know how to get this exact screen open for the driver. I opened nvidia control pad but I don't see it there.

Right click desktop, select NVIDIA Control Panel > Select a Task.... > Display > Change Resolution > #3 Apply the following settings.

S!

1 hour ago, Lipfert said:

Right click desktop, select NVIDIA Control Panel > Select a Task.... > Display > Change Resolution > #3 Apply the following settings.

I don't have a Display option. Under the Select a Task... the only options are:

3D settings 

-Adjust image settings with preview

-Manage 3D settings

-Configure Surround, PhysX

Developer

-Mange GPU Performance Counters

37 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

I don't have a Display option. Under the Select a Task... the only options are:

3D settings 

-Adjust image settings with preview

-Manage 3D settings

-Configure Surround, PhysX

Developer

-Mange GPU Performance Counters

... that´s weird - the Nvidia driver options never appeared any other to me for decades. Maybe it´s kind of reduced default driver for a Notebook on your side. This one option does make colors look more vivid to me in VR, but before starting to worry too much, I would just ignore this option - it´s by far not a must have or something. Maybe downloading manually the newest full Nvidia driver and installing it would bring us on the same page of the Nvidia driver setting; maybe it´s only an option somewhere to check for bringing up all options of the Nvidia driver, who knows ...

If spending time with fiddling with the options, I would go first for finding a satisfying balance between graphics fidelity and performance in VR.

Here´s a small overview on the difference demands/ gains of performance by the graphics options in IL-2:

405829939_Performanceimpactofeverygraphicsoption-ManualsTutorialsGuidesandTips-IL-2SturmovikF.thumb.jpg.ade01a1b8c4810ca2b5370f2b815735e.jpg  

it´s a download from the IL-2 forums.

Kameraden,

S!

Kameraden,

Version 2 settings.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1521411754

S!

• Lipfert changed the title to OpenXR Settings for il-2 Sturmovik