Down hard, it seems

IRFC Hawkeye

3 hours ago, loopy said:

Sounds similiar to what happened to my Wharthog throttle

I did remember that, Loopy.... but honestly I had thought that it was your joystick, and not your throttle.

I've had both the Warthog throttle and joystick apart, and they seem quite well designed inside, and you wouldn't think that problem would ever happen.

Of course when you look at how the Virpil is designed, you would never think it would fail, either.  There seems to be plenty of room for that cable to flex; and nothing is tied down which might restrict movement, or concentrate it on one specific area of the cable.

I think if they ever dug into the root of the problem, they might find that if they used a cable with wires that had more strands of a finer diameter, it would flex easier and for many more cycles.

2 hours ago, Ludwig said:

If Virpil would ever offer that cord in a 20" or 24" length I would be pleased to buy it.  It took me several tries to get my connected and stay connected within the tube. 

Well your's is a T-50, so who knows how it's different inside the base.... could be a lot different, and a lot better.  But extensions or not, all T-50's are the same from the base of the neck on down.... extensions have no bearing on that.  What you're talking about is just the cable extensions that simply lengthen the reach of the plug coming from the grip, which goes through the tube extensions.  Whether you have a bunch of them, or none of them, the same exact problem could happen inside the base unit, since it all comes down to the wires that go through the parts that move. To clarify, the short cable shown in my case is inside the chassis of the base unit. The top of it is the female socket on the base, where the grip screws on to, and travels through the moving gimbal assembly to the internal circuit board.

Honestly, it might never be a problem on the T-50.  The root of it may very well have a lot to do with the fact that the WarBRD base has more degrees of movement than the T-50.  That's because the WarBRD is made to be shorter, for desktop use, while the T-50 is meant to be used with extensions.  Less degrees of movement equals less flexing of the cable, all other things being equal.  So hopefully you'll never have to worry about this problem.

If I were you, and I had all of those shorter cables connected together, each with a top and bottom plug on it, I would take one apart and lengthen it to the appropriate full length using some bulk cable, and eliminate all of those connections.  However I think you told me once that it was more complicated than that, so I won't pretend it would be easy, if even possible.

Hey Mike,

That would be the correct solution.... unless Virpil was to do the right thing and make one long cable for us that use a full length floor mounted stick.  I can't describe how wonderful that is.... it really put me back in the cockpit of some old planes.... all you need are the smells and funny feeling you get from worn out springs to make it all real.  I will leave it alone though...  the one thing I learned is never wake a sleeping baby... so as long as it is happy, I am happy. I know you have fought that thing from day one....  sure sorry to hear that the battle continues...

I just bought a new machine dedicated for the flight sims so I hope to be back in FC and DCS and BOS in the near future.  I love CLOD it is just too much fun and really good practice 24 hours a day,  so once I am setup again with buttons etc, I hope I can get into those three.   I actually have some days off this week... what a shock... we are so short handed at work...  they just keep shoveling money at the young guys to quit us and go fly for them they can't turn it down which leaves us sucking vapors at a time when they are turning out more new jets than ever before. We are booked solid for the entire next year. OH well....    look forward to getting in some old style practice with you as we managed to do so many years ago old friend. 

LL

11 hours ago, Ludwig said:

the one thing I learned is never wake a sleeping baby

Just another variation of if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Damned good policy to follow.

Looking forward to your intensely professional and scientific approach to flying and destroying stuff, once again, buddy.

S!