Question about adding a ground column

Pandacat

I was trying to add a ground column. But I got an error message "Illegal access..." Is there anyway that I can delete this column?

A)

Have you tried to add it mid-campaign via DCG's interface on the Ground Unit Editor panel? If yes' date=' ignore the message, and you're done IIRC.

Anyway, you may want to have a look at the columns.dcg file (il2path/missions/campaigns/[countrycode']/[yourcampaignname]). If you find the unit there as "Chief_## ... ...)", delete it.

B)

Be more specific, please ;)

Basically, it was the normandy campaign under DCG. All my missions were successful, but the ground forces are still being pushed back by Germans. So I was trying to beef up Allied forces with a tank column. So I went to the ground unit editor to add a new column. Suddenly I got that error message popping up "Access violation, blah blah blah" with a bunch of memory address things. I went back into the campaign, it kept crashing. Not only that, I was trying to start a different campaign. It crashed again. So basically since I did this in the middle of the campaign, the campaign is corrupted now, correct? So if I just delete the whole corrupted campaign, would this issue go away?

You mean, your campaign is visible and selectable in Pilot Career in Il-2, but crashes when you try to load it? If you can see it listed, then you can also delete it, if you wish. But maybe the problem is elsewhere.

Uncheck and re-check "Replace Dgen" in DCG's "Mode" menu. If found unchecked, this may have been your problem. Anyway, look for the DGen.exe in Il-2 folder. It should be around 1,79 MB, while "Replace Dgen" should be in a checked state.

Now you can try to select "Restore Last Mission" in the "Edit" menu in DCG.

Hope it helps.

BTW, when mid-campaign and Il-2 running, you should never fiddle with units other than from the DEBRIEF interface, BEFORE you hit "Accept". Even safer is, though, to add new units via timetable commands effective from the next turn.

You mean' date=' your campaign is visible and selectable in Pilot Career in Il-2, but crashes when you try to load it? [/quote']

Yeah, that's what happened. I'll double check the files. If all you said fails, should I uninstall DCG and reinstall it? Or should I uninstall the whole game and reinstall everything from scratch?

DCG (as was the original DGen) is an independent application generating mission files for the game. DON'T uninstall/reinstall the game. It's OK, you can fly QMB missions and static missions, don't you? If the game crashes, it's because it tries to read corrupted or missing mission files. If everything fails what I suggested, simply reinstall DCG.

Edit: Err, which DCG version do you use? 3.47 should be OK, but 3.48 beta 4 and 5 were buggish.

Brute force tactics would be to paste something like this into timetable.dcg:

[Normandy44]

194406XX NewColumn 60_Chief Armor.4-M4A2_76W_US 1 @Blank $US_Tnk1 ~L

194406XX NewColumn 61_Chief Armor.4-M4A2_76W_US 1 @Blank $US_Tnk2 ~L

194406XX NewColumn 62_Chief Armor.4-M4A2_76W_US 1 @Blank $US_Tnk3 ~L

194406XX NewColumn 63_Chief Armor.4-M4A2_76W_US 1 @Blank $US_Tnk4 ~L

194406XX NewColumn 64_Chief Armor.4-M4A2_76W_US 1 @Blank $US_Tnk5 ~L

XX should be changed to next mission day.

[Normandy44]

Yep, that would work.

[Normandy44]

I don't see [Normandy44] in timetable.dcg. I only saw Newguinea42, Norway44, Riga41,Marenth line43 etc.

But you play the Normandy44 campaign' date=' don't you? If yes, just paste it together with the header [Normandy44'], and it will be there from then on :)

Yeah, that's the strange part. There is no [Normandy44] header in that file. I thought I was mistaken, but I checked it line by line, no such header and somehow my campaign mission still runs fine. Also, another question. Say the new columns that I added got eliminated on the battlefield by panzers, do I need go back to add more or the column once added will auto replenish and come back to the battlefield.

But you play the Normandy44 campaign' date=' don't you? If yes, just paste it together with the header [Normandy44'], and it will be there from then on :)

Yeah, that's the strange part. There is no [Normandy44] header in that file. I thought I was mistaken, but I checked it line by line, no such header and somehow my campaign mission still runs fine. Also, another question. Say the new columns that I added got eliminated on the battlefield by panzers, do I need go back to add more or the column once added will auto replenish and come back to the battlefield.

They'll come back. They'll be 'reborn' at your supply depot (dunno exactly where) and will march to the front.

As to the header, yes, it's not there YET, but if YOU copy and paste the section above (TOGETHER with its header) into the file, then it WILL BE there (because YOU put it there), and DCG will use it next time it generates a mission. Just change the dates according to the date of the next (or next-next) mission date.

• 4 weeks later...

Just another twist to this post.  What about deleting a column?  What would be the best to delete a column from order of battle? 

Another question, I have been playing USN grand camp starting from Tulagi.  Everything works fine up to Tarawa subcampaign.  As usual, I deactivate static guns and add new allied column.  I and my squadron defeated Japanese air (there are only 2 squadrons, one bomber and one fighter).  However, the camp can't seem to be won.  Allied columns seem to march from the beachhead to a location near the airfield, but stop there.  All Japanese ground columns have been blasted away.  There seems to be no more opposition anywhere, air, ground, sea or static.  But the allied forces just wont advance to capture the field and end the campaign.  I have flown 30+ cap missions because there is no opposition anyway to fire upon.  Is there anyway that I can force the camp to end?

If in the middle of a campaign, just delete it's entire line from the columns.dcg file.  If you haven't started the campaign, delete it from the template mission.

To end the campaign, run DCG, open the Ground War Editor panel and set the last airfield the Japanese have to "Allied" allegiance.  It should end it on the next generated mission.