Approaching Days of Rememberance

Hett

As October moves into November and we move toward Flanders in Flames with growing excitement I am reminded, almost by the turning of the leaves of the time that occurs each year as they begin wither and fall. We take to the skies to do virtual combat seeking the glory of victory, for medals and honor, for fun because it is something we adore and are impassioned to experience. As we do though, it is always important to recall the actual combatants of the era, why they fought, what they were expected to do for "King and Country". As some of you probably gathered I am always researching, always reading, and often I feel like I am just playing catchup with all you veterans. But I often come across things I like to share.

The cenataph in my town is quite interesting, we have several of them and a captured German gun nearby, but the words inscribed on the monument are inspirational to me at this time.

They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old,

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them.

-Binyon

Recently I have been reading over this site which some of you may enjoy. WARNING Some content may be realisticly gruesome.

The Heritage of the Great War