Just one wish

Chrival

I know that there is probably many wishes but since this thread exits I post mine.

Please, please, would it be possible in the future to add some forgotten squadrons/countries? I know that's it's currently hard coded.

I thing especially to french squadrons for battle of France.

I started a big campaign using the westfront 40 map with DCG 3.46, did the rds, rls, had some headaches to get something working through the Dunkirk pocket of resistance and found that... only "fr01" and "NN" may be used as a unit! What a shame!

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Paul can't help you, the small number of French units is a limitation of the original game.

There's a workaround, however. You can use e.g. Romanian squadrons as if they were French.

1. Use Romanian sqadrons in the FMB when you design your campaign.

2. In the Squadrons.dcg file, there are two columns: the 1st is the game-intern name (as they appear in the FMB), the 2nd is the DCG-intern name (as they appear in briefings). Rename the 2nd to have a French name.

3. Make a backup copy of the Speech/RO folder, and copy the content of your Speech/FR folder into the RO folder. This way all the Romanian units will speak French.

Cheers

I will even try to change the rank/awards from an unused (at least in my campaign) country and see if it works.

Yes, that could be a further enhancement. Still, there's a limitation if you follow my suggestion: the "fake" French squads will have the roundels, insignia and numbers of their original country if you check the "numbers on" option. If you uncheck this, you will have to use "marked" skins, but in this case you won't have numbers on your planes.

Yes I've already thought to that kind of possibles issues or limitation.

Anyway no problem with the flying planes textures since I use some available on the net and they have their own markings.

However an issue exists maybe with the default textures used, for example, with a stationnary aircraft: I tried to change the allpaints dcg file but it seems not to affect the textures as for a stationnary plane and unfortunately I don't know how to change the default for the stock Il2/DBW planes planes.

However an issue exists maybe with the default textures used' date=' for example, with a stationnary aircraft: I tried to change the allpaints dcg file but it seems not to affect the textures as for a stationnary plane and unfortunately I don't know how to change the default for the stock Il2/DBW planes planes. [/quote']

This is again a limitation of the game itself. In the FMB, you can set the nationality for stationary planes, but this setting only affects the markings, not the skin. So if you set, say, a Hawk as French, you will get French markings on a Finnish paint (because it is the deafult skin for that plane). Theoretically, you can change the default skin, but it involves modding, so a bit complicated. Cheers

Ok.

In understand things like this:

- For flying planes, I set a fake nationality, ie romania, and change all the romania folders and files to get the french properties, background, speeches and so on. I also change the squadids file to rename the romanian squadrons and in DCG, I set the desired textures and set "no" to the markings checkbox.

- For stationnary planes, assuming that the default textures are the right one (and it's the case with most of my planes) I set nationality French in FMB in the "campaign".mis file in order to get the french markings.

I think it should work well.

Thanks for the help and advices.

The workaround is fine except for one thing: The pilots names.

I replace the romanians and romanians_ru files with the french names but DCG still pick up some romanians names.

Seems that is hardcoded or something like this or may be I missed one file?

I'm quite sure it's NOT hardcoded. I suppose you're making a 3rd party campaign in a separate folder, don't you? Theoretically, DCG should create pilot names based on a names_ro.dcg (or something like that) file placed in the 3rd party folder. (The "romanians" and "romanians_ru" files are only used by the stock DGEN if I remember correctly.)