Time passage

Pandacat

I just have a little question about time passage in grand campaign. I know grand campaign is made of several mini-campaign maps. Once you graduate from one map, you move on to the next one. However, it seems that the campaign mechanism uses actual game time passage instead of historical time. For example, the battle of midway took place in June 1942 and battle of santa cruz occurred in Oct 1942. However, if you play the DCG campaign and beat Midway on 6/7/1942 then battle of santa cruz immediately starts on 6/8/1942, right after the Midway. Also, if you beat Santa cruz on 6/10/1942, the next map, Tarawa, starts immediately on 6/11/1942, which is almost 1.5yr ahead of historical start date. So if you are good enough, you can probably beat the entire pacific war before the end of 1943. Is there any way that when we start the next campaign map, we start at correct historical date rather than just simply 1 day+? I have the following options checked:

1. Fixed start date/squadrons

2. Primary objectives

The only correct jump that I have found so far between 2 maps is USAAF's Hawaii campaign and New Guinea 1942. After 12/7//1941, you jump to Aug 1942, which is about right historically. USMC one seems messed up too. I just completed Guadalcanal 42 and advanced into Guadalcanal 43, but my current date is still 8/30/1942.

Just another observation. When you select a new plane in squadron panel, your squadron's and your stats all got reset. I first started with F4F-4 in Guadalcanal 42. After I advanced into Guadalcanal 43, I selected F4U-1a. All of a sudden, all my stats are gone and my rank got reduced to gunnery sergeant and my squadron mate's kills got zeroed out as well.

Is there any way that when we start the next campaign map' date=' we start at correct historical date rather than just simply 1 day+?[/quote']

It worked in the past. All maps should start at the date specified in allcampaigns.dcg (25/10/1942 for Santa Cruz in the unmodified DCG install). Check your file for that entry. If everything seems to be OK, report which DCG version you use. Maybe it's a bug, maybe your files are simply messed up.

Is there any way that when we start the next campaign map' date=' we start at correct historical date rather than just simply 1 day+?[/quote']

It worked in the past. All maps should start at the date specified in allcampaigns.dcg (25/10/1942 for Santa Cruz in the unmodified DCG install). Check your file for that entry. If everything seems to be OK, report which DCG version you use. Maybe it's a bug, maybe your files are simply messed up.

I just checked the file. It seems ok. Correct dates are in there. I am currently using 3.47. So I don't know what is causing the problem.

The campaign will advance to the historic dates if you check Fixed Start Date/Squadrons in the DCG menu.

Fixed Start Date/Squadrons: when a campaign advances to a new area/map, if there is a start date given for that campaign, the campaign date will skip ahead to that date if this option is checked. If not, the campaign will advance one week. In addition, if checked, squadrons will transfer to the new campaign only if they are found in that new campaign's template file. If unchecked, no squadrons except the player's squadron will transfer.

Your campaign shouldn't reset. There's a bug...possibly something to do with the log files. :(

I have the option already checked, but still campaign doesn't advance based on historical date. It's always one day+. I didn't alter DCG in any way, except a few minor changes under those panels. Please enlighten me on the log files. Where to look for bugs. I just need my campaign advance correctly for now.

I have the option already checked' date=' but still campaign doesn't advance based on historical date. It's always one day+. I didn't alter DCG in any way, except a few minor changes under those panels. Please enlighten me on the log files. Where to look for bugs. I just need my campaign advance correctly for now.[/quote']

A workaround would be to revert to an older version of DCG where this feature was still working correctly. Among the public betas of 3.47 (build 6ish or the like) there were such versions for sure. I'll check it at my home computer.

Basically you should test all supposed bugs with vanilla Il2 version, means here: 4.12.1

The problem to mods is, everyone can change anything.

We had several issues once with changes to logs, which of course caused errors.

If DCG works fine with a mod - great.

If not I guess we need to live with it, as Paul cant provide support for 3 different mod versions & the vanilla version for DCG of course.

I just have a little question about time passage in grand campaign. I know grand campaign is made of several mini-campaign maps. Once you graduate from one map' date=' you move on to the next one. However, it seems that the campaign mechanism uses actual game time passage instead of historical time. For example, the battle of midway took place in June 1942 and battle of santa cruz occurred in Oct 1942. However, if you play the DCG campaign and beat Midway on 6/7/1942 then battle of santa cruz immediately starts on 6/8/1942, right after the Midway. Also, if you beat Santa cruz on 6/10/1942, the next map, Tarawa, starts immediately on 6/11/1942, which is almost 1.5yr ahead of historical start date. So if you are good enough, you can probably beat the entire pacific war before the end of 1943. Is there any way that when we start the next campaign map, we start at correct historical date rather than just simply 1 day+? [/quote']

So the answer for this is actually a lot easier than it seems. Some campaigns have optional set start dates and some do not.

For example, the Midway campaign is set to start 03/06/1942. But the Santa Cruz one has no start date. You can correct this yourself by adding the "StartDate=DD/MM/YYYY" command in any campaign trigger in the GRANDCAMPAIGN.DCG file. It should always be immediately after the "Map=" command. See below for an example.

[CoralSea to Midway] Red

Campaign=Pacific_Campaign

Map=Midway

StartDate=03/06/1942

BugOutRadius=1

Front=Midway

DeHome=Rabaul

RuHome=Midway_Airfield

DeBase=Rabaul_Airfield

RuBase=Midway_Airfield

Locale1=Eastern_Island

Locale2=Kure_Atoll

Locale3=Kure

Yep. It worked. Thanks. I also noticed that all western european theater battles have dates in grand campaign. Other battles such as eastern european or pacific ones have no dates. It seems the original DCG was designed and tested based on western european theater. I can modify the whole grandcampaign file and send it to for inclusion in the next patch.

Good guess, but you actually have it backwards. The original campaign (for IL-2 Forgotten Battles) is the Eastern European one. The second campaign was the Pacific one. The first one in particular was designed to be completely open with no date restrictions whatsoever - so it was possible to see-saw back and forth across the maps.

The issue with adding dates to all the campaigns is that should, for example, the Russians win the Lvov map in '41, the next map is Berlin. If the date is added to the grand campaign file, then suddenly it's '45. So in general, I only added dates where such issues wouldn't arise.