Questions regarding CarsColumns in DCG.

Moezilla

Hi Lowengrin,

Was just looking through Tailspin's old doc about campaign creation and had a couple of questions about CarsColumns.

Does DCG still only care about columns A-E? How would it treat a CarsColumnF or K?

Is it still true that DCG has a special case for the Japanese Columns (B & C for supply and A for command vs A & B for supply and C for command for Russia/USA/Germany)?

If I added a French/Italian/British CarsColumnA/B/C/D/E would DCG recognise them and use them as with the stock columns?

Thanks for your time,

Moe

Thanks for the answer Lowengrin.

Just to be clear, when you wrote, "they won't be given any special properties", were you referring to columns like GermanCarsColumnF, or were you referring to any other nationality of column like FrenchCarsColumnA? Or both?

In other words, Can DCG recognise the pattern xxxCarsColumnA and use it as a supply column regardless of what xxx is (except Japan)?

I'm looking at updating a few of my old campaigns for use with the CUP mod pack and it would be nice to give the Italians, British and French some historically accurate columns.

Thanks for your time,

Moe

No, each one is hard-coded although if all xxxCarColumnA are similar, I could probably give them a quick fix in the code.  Where it isn't so quick, is translating the car column into static vehicles when they reach the front line.  I should probably make some configuration file so that users could create them as they wish...someday.

That wildcard style for the columns A & B would be great so at least the other countries could get resupply from the columns.

I had a quick look at the stock columns and:

GermanColumnA has 8 soft/unarmed vehicles and 2 armed.
RussianColumnA has 7 soft/unarmed vehicles and 1 armed.

JapanColumnA has 5 soft/unarmed vehicles and 0 armed.
USAColumnA has 7 soft/unarmed vehicles and 1 armed.

GermanColumnB has 7 soft/unarmed and 1 armed

RussianColumnB has 10 soft/unarmed and 0 armed

JapanColumnB has 5 soft/unarmed and 2 armed

USAColumnB has 10 soft/unarmed and 0 armed

GermanColumnC has 2 soft/unarmed and 4 armed

RussianColumnC has 5 soft/unarmed and 1 armed

JapanColumnC has 8 soft/unarmed and 0 armed

USAColumnC has 5 soft/unarmed and 1 armed

I know Japan is a special case because A is command and B&C are supply so:

If new columns were added of type xxxCarsColumnA they should have 8-10 vehicles of which 0,1 or 2 would be armed.

For type xxxCarsColumnB it should be 8-10 vehicles of which 0 or 1 would be armed.

For type xxxCarsColumnC it should be 5-6 vehicles with 0-4 armed.

If it's a quick fix to add the wildcard for columns A & B then that would be an awesome addition for Med/African campaigns and early war stuff with the french, polish, etc.

Thanks for your time,

Moe

No, each one is hard-coded although if all xxxCarColumnA are similar, I could probably give them a quick fix in the code.  Where it isn't so quick, is translating the car column into static vehicles when they reach the front line.  I should probably make some configuration file so that users could create them as they wish...someday.

Lowengrin that would be amazing! As adding columns to Modded IL-2 (CUP), giving campaign makers the ability to use customized supply columns is a great idea.