DCS info needed....

J5_Ice Age

Hey Ice, I think I got the autopilot figured out on the MI-8 if you want to go over it next time we fly together.

Yes, definitely.  I fooled around with the yaw channel the other day, and see that it is supposed to automatically provide the correct anti-torque once you release the pedals on a particular heading, but I didn't find it too accurate, and also didn't like that it also appeared to actually be trimming the pedals, something that didn't go away when user-pedal force was re-applied, so that inevitably you wind up fighting the autopilot in the yaw axis.  Strange system indeed!  My general flying of the aircraft appears to be better than I thought it would be at this point, but flying the aircraft and tuning the radios at the same time is sure as heck problematic, so I guess I'm going to have to use the finer points of the autopilot whether I like it or not (no convenient co-pilot "cheat" like in the UH-1 that I'm aware of).  I haven't attempted to actually hoist any cargo and the pylon logic of the bomb dropping system is still mysterious, and many other things, so all the knowledge that more experienced pilots can impart to me is definitely welcome.

Yes, definitely.  I fooled around with the yaw channel the other day, and see that it is supposed to automatically provide the correct anti-torque once you release the pedals on a particular heading, but I didn't find it too accurate, and also didn't like that it also appeared to actually be trimming the pedals, something that didn't go away when user-pedal force was re-applied, so that inevitably you wind up fighting the autopilot in the yaw axis.  Strange system indeed!  My general flying of the aircraft appears to be better than I thought it would be at this point, but flying the aircraft and tuning the radios at the same time is sure as heck problematic, so I guess I'm going to have to use the finer points of the autopilot whether I like it or not (no convenient co-pilot "cheat" like in the UH-1 that I'm aware of).  I haven't attempted to actually hoist any cargo and the pylon logic of the bomb dropping system is still mysterious, and many other things, so all the knowledge that more experienced pilots can impart to me is definitely welcome.

The trick is to be re-trimming as you make adjustments. The thing I do (and I don't really know if it's a legit technique) is hold down trim as I make my maneuver, heading change, whatever, and when I'm done and the helicopter is doing what I like, I release trim. Keep an eye on those little green lights. When it's time to be super dynamic I neutralize the trim and fly it by hand, no trim at all. You, know, like a helicopter. 

Trev, that's how I fly the Ka-50 too if not using flight director mode: when I want to maneuver, I hold down the trimmer button, then when I'm done, I release it to trim to my new positioning. It's a lot less jarring and a lot less work than constantly tapping the trimmer to keep things stable.

I'll add that it's a valid technique on the Blackshark. I don't know how the Mi-8 works, but the autopilot/trimmer system on the Blackshark uses whatever heading you release the trimmer at, to trim yaw and try to keep you at that heading, so if you dont hold the button down (disengaging the system) you'll be fighting against the system while maneuvering.

I would like to fly helicopters with you guys the next time you are inclined to do so. 

I'm a little confused about how the AP uses the trim system, and I'm even more confused about what the "AI Engineer" does with the Autopilot when you command him to adjust it.  My best results flying this helicopter are obtained by not using the autopilot altitude or heading channels at all, nor trimming. 

I'm conscientiously avoiding actually flying the KA-50 for now, on the theory that it will make me lazy in the flying of normal helicopters.  After flying the non-coaxial helicopters, it almost feels like I'm cheating!  In the meantime, I continue to study it's avionics and systems.

(I should have been a pilot in real life.  I love this stuff.)