From the archive, an ROF sortie

Barton

You did, I heard the impacts on at least 2 separate occasions. :)

Now if that had been me my wings would have come right off in the D.Va.  For example just last Thurs I was flying a D.Va on Wargrounds and took one hit from a SPAD of .005 or .007, something like that.  I was circling over his head at ground level and dropped in for the kill.... wings came right off.  And he gets a kill credit for that.  It even happened to me when I was flying with you and others in FiF, that time you fought all of those N28's.  One hit, turn, wings fall off.

That only seems to happen in MMP; I never lose my wings ever practicing in SP.

If given any choice at all I'll fly a D.III over a D.Va every time.  Same basic performance, damage model way better.

I’ve never liked the D.III.  It’s not as stable and is in fact less maneuverable (slightly). In fact I’ve always wondered why 777 never rectified this.  German pilots gave up their D.Vas for D.IIIs because the Vs were so terrible but in game the V is better in every aspect I can think of.  And the V is the free plane, too!  I’ve never had any problems with the wings being too fragile in any circumstance other than a steep dive or hard pullout.  It all depends on where you get hit.  I shot down a couple Camels before with just a couple rounds to the outer wing and strut area.  Actually one of them was in squadron practice.  I attacked from the high 2 and shot maybe 5 rounds at him and as he turned around to engage me after the merge his wings blew off.  I was pretty surprised by that one. Ever since this kind of experiences in RoF I always aim for the mid to outer wing area on enemy aircraft if I can.  The roundels on the wings make pretty good targets.  

I hear what you're saying and I would absolutely like to love the D.Va more than the D.III in RoF, even though that's historically inaccurate.  But here's an excerpt from a typical D.Va server stats sortie log.  As you can see, the damage was only .005; I mean, he had his overhead Lewis elevated and was firing desperation shots while maneuvering hard below because he knew he was about to die.  Furthermore, I was only at about 1 or 2 hundred meters coming down to him at ground level, so no great dive distance.  That damage was the ONLY damage in the entire log up to that point:

(Pilot name redacted) [SPAD 7.C1 180hp] has damaged (0.005) JG1Luftritter_J4 [Albatros D.Va]

30.05.2019 22:15:35

EDIT: at this point I am coming down and rolling onto his six

JG1Luftritter_J4 [Albatros D.Va] has damaged (0.015)

JG1Luftritter_J4 [Albatros D.Va] has damaged (0.005)

JG1Luftritter_J4 [Albatros D.Va] has damaged (0.972)

JG1Luftritter_J4 [Albatros D.Va] was disabled

30.05.2019 22:15:37

JG1Luftritter_J4 [Albatros D.Va] has wounded (1.0)

30.05.2019 22:15:37

JG1Luftritter_J4 [Albatros D.Va] has died

Anyway I can never love a plane like that when it's happened to me so many times, sometimes ending decent V-lives.  The truth is the enemy rarely shoots me down, it's almost always something like this or AAA, and that's frustrating.  However, it obviously SAID that that person shot me down.  Embarrassing.

As for the handling or maneuvering difference between the D.III and D.Va, take my word for it, given the proper response curve settings it is, for all intents and purposes, zero.  There is just one thing, a minor tendency for the D.III to balk in a nose-up left turn situation; but once you get a good feel for it, along with the response curve settings, you can almost use it as an advantage by rising above the enemy in that left turn....there's a point of balance that it will ride on and almost hover without dropping.  Not like an N17 or anything, but better than a D.Va in that one respect.  It's just a tool in it's arsenal.  All of the other performance parameters of speed and climb are almost identical.  I think mainly what you perceive by flying without curves is that the D.Va does require less less pitch correction (less pitch "trim") to make it fly straight and level hands-off and so just acts more tractable than the D.III when you don't use any corrections....and that one difference does affect every aspect of maneuverability quite heavily when left uncorrected.

In any case this isn't supposed to change your mind because obviously you have no problems making it work outstanding for you.  The fact is it's probably the pitch curve itself that causes my problem.  Although any variation of an S-curve does actually soften elevator response near the center or neutral point, it does catch up and actually accelerates it near the extremes of max up and max down.  I've never had any other plane respond to that the way that the D.Va does, it must be just weak enough at the hairy edge to break it in the wrong circumstances; so it has to be my own fault.  Still, I love the way it flies with curves, so I guess it will just remain a love/hate relationship.

None of this will be a problem or factor in FC and so far I'm doing great even flying a plane like the Dr.I in that sim.  In the mean time, I'll stick with my D.III in RoF, given the opportunity, and hope others will understand why.

S!

😀

I can understand your frustration at this.  If this happened to me as often as it has been happening to you I might feel the same way.  For me the D.Va is so much more stable when full back stick in a hard bank that it makes it much more easy to get an accurate shot.   The D.III wallows in those circumstances and I’ve had more than one fight last much longer than it should have when I couldn’t quite get my guns where I wanted accurately because I was fighting the plane.   For me this is the straw that breaks my will to fly that plane if I have the option to fly the pfalz or D.V.  I’m not saying you’re wrong.  If the D.III works better for you, by all means use it.