back to Red Baron?

Spartan

Salute!

I'm a member of JG1 from the old RB3D days.  Some of you may remember me, or not.  I was JG1_Franz_J4 back then and participated in several of the FIF tournaments.  I was Karl Allmenroders shadow, lol.  When JG1 migrated to IL-2, I stayed behind and joined a couple of other fading RB squads till Red Baron died all together. 

I played IL-2 some, but it just never held the interest for me that the WWI game had.  I'm sure you guys have probably heard, but Damon Slye has ownership of RB again and has plans on restarting an updated version.  Hearing that brought me to their forums http://www.redbarongame.com/forum/index.php?forums/ .  It looks like the game is still months, or perhaps a year down the road, but I started a thread asking if others would be interested in reforming the WWI version of JG1.  One person has responded so far, although the forums are very slow at the moment. 

I figured you guys were still in operation, so I searched till I found you in order to make you aware of what was going on with the old game and to see if anyone is interested in reestablishing JG1 there before another group grabs the name.  I'm not sure if the squad or any individual pilots are interested in returning to Red Baron, but wanted you to know.  If the squad wants to weigh in, then I'll step aside and let you assume command of the WWI group as well.  If not, then I'll see what I can do with whatever group I can gather there.

S!

Spartan

Hi Spartan,

It's good to speak with you again.

I remember your name (Franz) from way back in the day.  But, I'm not sure if you remember me.  I was a member of Jasta 6 for a long time, under Wolfgang and Graser.  And I was one of the commanders who formed II./JG 1, which is JG1's face within IL-2.

To your question:

JG1 is still the same JG1 that was formed in March of 1992 by Baron von Helton.  The website has changed a bunch of times, and our membership has shifted and grown.  But we still actively are flying flight sims, and have never closed shop.

This year, we celebrate 22 years online, and are very proud to still have a bunch of our old RB3D pilots in our roster: Butzzell, Wurger, Lowengrin, RivRat, Degelow, and others.

Yes, we do actively fly WW2 flight sims, like the various versions of IL-2.  However, this squadron is still very much dedicated to WW1 simming.  Since 2009, JG1 Richthofen has focused on Rise of Flight, which is the spiritual successor to Red Baron 3D.  We were actually beta testers for that game.  And, throughout the 2000s, quite a few of us still flew Red Baron 3D - that is, until the community finally collapsed.

Truthfully, many of us would gladly try out another game created by Damon Slye.

However, you can't call for the "rebirth" or "reformation" of something, like this squadron, that never went away and is still very much operating. :)

If you'd like to re-join JG1 Richthofen, then we'd love to have you as a member.  We practice on Mondays and Wednesdays and have a new Flanders in Flames event starting up in the Spring.

And when the new Red Baron comes out, we can all explore that sim together.

Let me know your thoughts.

~Salut!~

-Klai

Wolfgang? Buttzell, Wurger, Lowingrin, RivRat, Degelow?  Hell yes I remember you guys!  Don't worry, I'm on your side in this.  I was not trying to take JG1's place in the new Red Baron, in fact, when I saw that none of you were involved yet, my plan was to grab the name and hold it till you showed up.  Yes, you may be the original JG1, but not for the new Red Baron game yet without hoisting the flag there.  I didn't want some squatter coming in and claiming the name, potentially leading to an ugly "turf war" later.

I would like to reinlist with JG1, but, at least for the moment, as it's official representative in Red Baron till the game actually starts.  I'll keep the rest of you posted on developments there.  I do have ROF, but haven't flown it for years, but may try it again.  So, with your permission, I'll reassume the JG1 prefix and represent you in RB until such time as you start participating in that community.  It's good to see you folks again!  :)

Salute!

JG1_Spartan

S! Franz,

great to see you are still flying ! 

We plan to explore RB3D reborn when it comes out.

In the mean time you should really give RoF another try. It has gotten very good. there are several online tourneys going on. We have a friendly rivalry with No.42 squad. We do some fun missions and mini tourneys as well as FiF. Bloody April starts in a month!

If you have an original disc and RoF is not installed on your machine, I suggest going to the RoF site and doing the "play now" demo download. it goes much quicker than the original disc. There will probably be a good sized upload of new content.  Your original game key is stil active so all you have to do is log in with your email addy and your password and you will have the full game. Just like RB3D personal paint is important. RoF hosts the paint. That is a lot of downloads to get all the paints. You do not need them to fly but eventually you will want to get them and add your own. RoF is having a sale now so if you need some new planes, they are half price. 

Just let me know what I can do to help you get back into the swing of things.

:)

Wolfgang? Buttzell, Wurger, Lowingrin, RivRat, Degelow?  Hell yes I remember you guys!  Don't worry, I'm on your side in this.  I was not trying to take JG1's place in the new Red Baron, in fact, when I saw that none of you were involved yet, my plan was to grab the name and hold it till you showed up.  Yes, you may be the original JG1, but not for the new Red Baron game yet without hoisting the flag there.  I didn't want some squatter coming in and claiming the name, potentially leading to an ugly "turf war" later.

I would like to reinlist with JG1, but, at least for the moment, as it's official representative in Red Baron till the game actually starts.  I'll keep the rest of you posted on developments there.  I do have ROF, but haven't flown it for years, but may try it again.  So, with your permission, I'll reassume the JG1 prefix and represent you in RB until such time as you start participating in that community.  It's good to see you folks again!  :)

Salute!

JG1_Spartan

Hi Spartan,

I just sent you a PM with our TeamSpeak information.  Stop by anytime.  You're more than welcome.

Additionally, as Butzzell says, we'd be more than happy to help set you up for Rise of Flight.  A lot has changed with the game since 2009, so you may find it very satisfying.  I know that we do.  

Once you're up and running with Rise of Flight, we can then figure out your re-enlistment.

Hope to talk to you more soon!

~Salut!~

-Klai

With RoF being as mature as it is, I don't think there will be any interest in a remake of an old game other than the nostalgia of some old members, trying to recreate the good times they had in RB3D. Been there with Mechwarrior, a lot of players from MW4 that played MW2, talked about the remake of MW2 and it was a dead idea from the start. Other than the few nostalgic players that got stuck in the past, there wasn't any interest from the MW4 community to switch to an old game.