"Rupp's Skizzenbuch"

WWGeezer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very inspiring stuff. indeed!! Great work my good fellow!!!! I'm glad you are doing this.

I have done something along similar lines where I post up the letters and diary entries written by my piloten persona (only just as they appear when you put them in the forum not all fancy like yours)...I enjoy the writing part. Perhaps you could explain to me how to made my stuff look like a journal entry or hand written letter so I can post up my little works, or would that be bad form stealing your creative juices and all that? 

No bad form, no secrets, happy to share

1. I start with a photograph of an actual journal page, that I made look old with coffee or tea to stain.  I have a copy stand and good lighting, but for a single sheet you could do the same thing with a scanner

2. I scan at 300 dpi ( important for the text font to look nice)

3. I use photoshop elements to put the photo image on a layer and the text on a layer

4. If you know photoshop, there are things you can do to make the text look more like its real, like, make the layer slightly transparent, use a blur filter and I usual add a style layer to make the color of the ink vary.  ( this one requires more instruction, if you are serious about it and you have photoshop elements I can give you more 

Really is a mix of sketching, photography and photoshop, but you can get something pretty nice without going in that deep.

PS ....I really like Luftritter's comment (I don't know what it means but I really like it).

It was a reply to Smolders' question   ;)

It means that the subject in question is far more complicated than the person asking it realizes, and would take years of training to actually accomplish....basically exactly what Klaiber said   :P   Not meant to be derogatory in any way    ^_^

From past communications, I was under the impression that you're a professional graphics designer and/or cartoonist   B)

Understood, I was just teasing a bit.

Hmmm...tired old campaigner Architect... who stumbled into WW1 and WW2 flight sim world.... that opened the trap door into a love of Aviation Military history.... that led to repressed desire to do something artistic...that didn't involve budgets, schedules and errors and omissions insurance.

(unfortunately I somehow I still managed to get myself tied to a schedule )

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Luftritter, a late response to your response.  I am glad you enjoyed the Angel / Devil themes.  They showed up kind of on their own and became important to me. 

When I researched historical soldier's sketchbooks, humor was a big part of the art work you see.  The Blue Max story line was so dark, that it was a relief to add some fun to it.  I started treating it like Spy vs Spy in Mad Magazine ( if you are from the right era you will know what I am talking about).  Sometimes they are very serious and really reinforce the story.  You can only do so much with photos of aircraft and fake newspaper headlines.  Sometimes they hit the theme of the chapter right between the eyes.

The really funny part is after the first couple appearances I realized they were starting to look just like my Sister and Brother-in-law.  Since then I have absolutely used them as the models for the look of them ( as you would expect my brother-in-law thinks its funny, my sister is politely tolerating them.) 

CHAPTER TWELVE – WILI’S LAST SORTIE

http://www.thebluemaxproject.org/ch12-willis-last-sortie/

Rupp gets sent in to clean up another crash site, but this time the tragic death is close to home.   Wili Klugermann and Bruno Stachel return from a successful sortie in a heavy mist.  Stachel gets credited with three more kills, but Wili ends up wrapped around a factory chimney on the edge of town.  Just one of those fluke accidents…..or was it?

The next chapter will be June 8th.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...