DCG 3.48 Open Beta Test

Lowengrin

The initial link was a cut and paste, but I fixed it pretty quick (but someone must have been quicker!)

I don't generally update the "About/Version" except when I make an official update...but I suppose I could make an exception given how long it's been.

I'll have another look at the carrier issue.  My couple tests worked fine but I never did try it with a generic CV. 

Thanks Lo, filename probably corrected since then, my download is il2dcg348beta9.zip. Exe timestamp 2014.04.17 20:42, but "About/Version" still reads "January 2012". Would be great to have it updated.

However, I encounter the same problem as before. UN Coral Sea 1942 with stock template etc files still doesn't put me on USSCVGeneric. "Named" Lexington squads correctly deploy on Lexington, just like the Japanese ones. 

I just had a quick test and I have no problem getting the player's USN VF 11 squadron to start on a carrier.  Are you sure you unchecked the DGEN replace mode and rechecked it before you started testing?

:wacko:  :(  :o

No, I haven't... This time VF-11 worked correctly, it deployed on Lexington. However, no squad deployed on USSCVGeneric ("Yorktown"), and some squads deployed on Townsville_Airfield, including VB_3A ("Yorktown"):

[uSN_VF_11A0]

Planes 16/16-0+3
  Skill 1
  Class air.F4F3
  Active True  Any Pilot Type
  1default.bmp
  USS Lexington
  Radio
[uSN_VF_3B1]
  Planes 16/16-0+3
  Skill 1
  Class air.F4F3
  Active False Any Pilot Type
  1default.bmp
  USS Lexington
  Radio
[iJN_C_Shokaku_FS0]
  Planes 16/16-0+4
  Skill 2
  Class air.A6M2_21
  1default.bmp
  Shokaku
  Radio
[iJN_C_Shokaku_FS1]
  Planes 16/16-0+4
  Skill 2
  Class air.A6M2_21
  1default.bmp
  Shokaku
  Radio
[iJN_C_Zuikaku_FS0]
  Planes 16/16-0+4
  Skill 3
  Class air.A6M2_21
  1default.bmp
  Zuikaku
  Radio
[iJN_C_Zuikaku_FS1]
  Planes 16/16-0+4
  Skill 2
  Class air.A6M2_21
  1default.bmp
  Zuikaku
  Radio
[uSN_VF_42A0]
  Planes 16/16-0+3
  Skill 1
  Class air.F4F3
  1default.bmp
  Townsville_Airfield
  Radio
[uSN_VF_42A1]
  Planes 16/16-0+3
  Skill 1
  Class air.F4F3
  1default.bmp
  Townsville_Airfield
  Radio
[uSN_VB_2B0]
  Planes 16/16-0+3
  Skill 1
  Class air.SBD3
  1default.bmp
  USS Lexington
  Radio
[iJN_C_Shokaku_FS_VB0]
  Planes 16/16-0+4
  Skill 2
  Class air.D3A1
  1default.bmp
  Shokaku
  Radio
[uSN_VB_2B1]
  Planes 16/16-0+3
  Skill 1
  Class air.SBD3
  1default.bmp
  USS Lexington
  Radio
[iJN_C_Shokaku_FS_VT0]
  Planes 16/16-0+4
  Skill 1
  Class air.B5N2
  1vp_bof.bmp
  Shokaku
  Radio
[iJN_C_Zuikaku_FS_VB0]
  Planes 16/16-0+4
  Skill 2
  Class air.D3A1
  1default.bmp
  Zuikaku
  Radio
[iJN_C_Zuikaku_FS_VT0]
  Planes 16/16-0+4
  Skill 2
  Class air.B5N2
  1vp_bof.bmp
  Zuikaku
  Radio
[uSN_VB_3A0]
  Planes 16/16-0+3
  Skill 1
  Class air.SBD3
  1default.bmp
  Townsville_Airfield
  Radio
[uSN_VB_3A1]
  Planes 16/16-0+3
  Skill 1
  Class air.SBD3
  1default.bmp
  Townsville_Airfield
  Radio

BTW, Happy Easter  :ph34r:

Did some toying around last night with DCG and carrier ops for a custom Ironclad operation rework campaign.  Indeed, I found that I could get dcg to recognize carrier basing by using the MoveSquad parameter in the timeline.dcg; however, when dcg generates the mission, the takeoff line for the given squad is messed up.  Thus, causing immediate explosion of aircraft or others to sea dive with wings folded.  I can manually edit the takeoff line to correct the defect and allow correct carrier basing.  

The take from this testing is that with the current beta 9, squads can be correctly based at carriers via the timeline.dcg.  However, the mission generation does not correctly write the takeoff line for carrier takeoff in the .mis file.

~S~

wind

Here is the generated mission line for the possible defect:

[827sq00_Way]
TAKEOFF 935.91 207042.11  NORMFLY 938.00 207045.00 4000.0 241.00 820sq00 1 &0

when it should be?

[827sq00_Way]
  TAKEOFF 110653.00 237945.00 0 0 1_Chief 0 &1

There is also no landing route noted in the generated mission.

In the timetable, I included the following:

19420503 MoveSquad 827sq0 HMS_Illustrious

Squad 827 is defined in the base mission file.

Hi Paul, just let you know I am aswell following this topic with highest interests. I was aswell still not able to get the allied planes take off from carriers in our still existing Multiplayer Campaign. Hope you can fix the issue, which got imho introduced by 4.12. Let me know if u need any help in detailed testing.

Keep up the fantastic work...still suprised how long DCG survives the time, I think I got first contact with it in 2006 - great peace of code! :)

Hi Paul, just let you know I am aswell following this topic with highest interests. I was aswell still not able to get the allied planes take off from carriers in our still existing Multiplayer Campaign. Hope you can fix the issue, which got imho introduced by 4.12. Let me know if u need any help in detailed testing.

Keep up the fantastic work...still suprised how long DCG survives the time, I think I got first contact with it in 2006 - great peace of code! :)

Indeed, DCG is literally the best offline campaign option out there for driving something with consequence mission to mission.  Additionally, it has a solid online niche for both Coop and event campaigns such as GS.   Without DCG evolving with IL2 (which is also an amazing achievement for how long the sim has been around), it simply would not be the same without it.  DGEN though good, is not DCG.

All in all, yes great to see DCG alive, and evolving with IL2.  Once the carrier bug is solved, that will be excellent as I look forward to time on the carrier deck again.  Though in the mean time, train/tank busting in central Europe right now is a nice way to pass some time when offline and at the sticks!

Hats off to Paul for keeping it alive!  :)

~S~

wind

• 2 weeks later...

I hope to have some time tomorrow to have a look at the issue (again). 

2006 is nothing.   :P   I think I started this back in 2001 as a way to embarrass Maddox into making their own dynamic campaign generator.  It was never meant to be anything more than a demo.  :wacko:

I did some testing today and except for bug reported by WindWeapon (which I haven't replicated), I can't find anything wrong with DCG and carrier takeoffs.  They worked perfectly fine in the off-line campaign...but a funny thing happened when I tried to fly the same campaigns in online coop mode...all planes started airborne.  :wacko:

I'm a bit confused by it all.

Dear Lo, as to offline missions, player squad seems to be okay now, but some allied AI squads are still allocated to Townsville Airfield. Good old Coral See scenario:

[uSN_VF_10A0]
  Planes 16/16-0+3
  Skill 1
  Class air.F4F3
  Active True  Any Pilot Type
  1default.bmp
  USS Lexington
  Radio
[uSN_VF_42A0]
  Planes 16/16-0+3
  Skill 1
  Class air.F4F3
  1default.bmp
  Townsville_Airfield
  Radio
[uSN_VF_42A1]
  Planes 16/16-0+3
  Skill 1
  Class air.F4F3
  1default.bmp
  Townsville_Airfield
  Radio
[uSN_VB_3A0]
  Planes 16/16-0+3
  Skill 1
  Class air.SBD3
  1default.bmp
  Townsville_Airfield
  Radio
[uSN_VB_3A1]
  Planes 16/16-0+3
  Skill 1
  Class air.SBD3
  1default.bmp
  Townsville_Airfield
  Radio

Is it possible the carrier spawn issue could be tied to a mod such as SAS engine mod or other?  I am not sure if a given mod may affect mission generation relative to DCG. 

Edit:  not issue.  I tried stock DCG in HSFX 7 and stock 4.12.2 and in all cases, airstarts only with flights based out of offmap airfields.

hope a cure is found soon!  LS just released an updated Carrier Operations DCG campaign and looking fwd to carrier ops in campaign.

~S~

wind

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not convinced DCG is the issue when it comes to spawning on aircraft carriers...Sniperton has a specific example with squadrons being relocated to land bases, but my testing of online missions shows that they are all spawning in the air - even missions I make from scratch in the FMB.

• 1 month later...

Playing beta 10, Russian manchuria Campaign. Everything works great so far. I was wondering if it would be possible to include a hidden landing target for when the option "Primary Targets" is on? It would reward the player for landing his crate.

PS: Excellent work on the DCG so far, keep it up. A wonderful program!

EDIT: I played a mission today in Manchuria Campaign. For some reason the ground attack mission pointed me to my own vehicles. After I shot two of them, I realised I shot friendlies, but got a mission complete for this!?

Also, the Japanese are based only in the upper left corner of the map. I expected they would be in the lower right considering the geography and the fact Russia invaded Manchuko from land...

Any thoughts?