FiF XXIII tentative plane set

Butzzell

S! All

This announcement is being made because of the present sale.  People may want to pick up a few planes while they are on sale.

FiF XXIII will be in England. This is the Channel map and yes, it will be all in England. The Thames Estuary is used as No Man's Land.

This is a large map. Because of that we will be using some of the faster planes.

Entente:    SPAD 13, Sopwith Camel, DH4, HP400

Central: PD12, Maybe Fokker D7f, Fokker Dr.1, DFW,Gotha.

Perfect plane set for me to fly, Camel and Dr.I are gonna be my machines. Just need that skin to be put up in a pack dang it!

Gotta get the channel map but I can't spend any cash atm, maybe then.

Make sure to bring a lifejacket, (or will there be no flying over the channel? I hope there will be!)

Also, W12?

The Channel map is one of the items on sale -- with the 60% off, the sale price for the map is only $3.59!

Saw that, but what will the order of planes be? P12, Dr.I, D7F? Spad 13, Sopwith? Also SE5a maybe Use the Sopwiths for direct, and the SE5a's for energy fighting maybe hmm?

Still not thinking about buying any two seaters, but that F2A still peaks my interest.

I like the regular D.VII, most people hate it but it can be tuned up to be quite decent, and it has excellent firepower, but against something like an S.E.5a it is at a severe disadvantage in almost every respect, which is nothing like it should be.  The D.VIII is buggy, it is well known that the engine will kill itself without any help from you above certain altitudes; at low altitudes it can be a lot of fun but the engine fragility surpasses every other (already fragile) German plane engine. The devs are never going to fix it, and that's just plain sad, so basically it's like a non-plane in the game.

What they did to the Dr.I and Camel is also a crime, they can still be the kings of the heap in low-level furballs but as for any other uses, they have little value anymore, even though at one time they were my favorite planes.  If you put people in a position where they are forced to fly them, you are going to see a lot of pilots getting killed or eliminated in them; very few pilots have the expertise to stay alive in one.  Maybe it would be a good idea to have a poll to see how many pilots would actually want to fly either one of them.  Back before they changed them there was a channel map scenario FiF, and few enough people flew them then.  Is it time to redo that whole thing again??  Personally I hate the channel map scenario; if you are in a German plane then any damage you might take over the water guarantees you are done for the night.  You could be 5 yards from gliding into the beach, and not make it.  I guess what goes around comes around, though, since we are flying both sides now.

I like the regular D.VII, most people hate it but it can be tuned up to be quite decent, and it has excellent firepower, but against something like an S.E.5a it is at a severe disadvantage in almost every respect, which is nothing like it should be.  The D.VIII is buggy, it is well known that the engine will kill itself without any help from you above certain altitudes; at low altitudes it can be a lot of fun but the engine fragility surpasses every other (already fragile) German plane engine. The devs are never going to fix it, and that's just plain sad, so basically it's like a non-plane in the game.

What they did to the Dr.I and Camel is also a crime, they can still be the kings of the heap in low-level furballs but as for any other uses, they have little value anymore, even though at one time they were my favorite planes.  If you put people in a position where they are forced to fly them, you are going to see a lot of pilots getting killed or eliminated in them; very few pilots have the expertise to stay alive in one.  Maybe it would be a good idea to have a poll to see how many pilots would actually want to fly either one of them.  Back before they changed them there was a channel map scenario FiF, and few enough people flew them then.  Is it time to redo that whole thing again??  Personally I hate the channel map scenario; if you are in a German plane then any damage you might take over the water guarantees you are done for the night.  You could be 5 yards from gliding into the beach, and not make it.  I guess what goes around comes around, though, since we are flying both sides now.

1. I think the fragility sucks, but I also appreciate it in the learning curve. I like a challenge, but not a ludicrous one.

2. I agree that the Camel and Dr.I are really difficult to fly but I also appreciate the skill level. The Camel was notorious in real life of being a bull with wings. Dr.I I heard it was easy but I haven't read much. My interest in the Dr.I has been of late, unlike the Camel.

3. Butzzell said it was all over England, no channel. I think airstarts over the channel would've been cool, future FIF maybe hmm?

Pay attention to what is said.  Plane sets are not chosen on a whim.  A lot of discussion goes into picking them.  The plane set is not up for debate and if not for the sale you would not be told this for awhile yet.  Butzzell said the DVII was a maybe.  That means that one plane is the only one about which an absolute firm decision has not been made.  This last FiF is proof enough that the designers of FiF try to work with as many planes and locations as they can.  So sooner or later your pet plane will likely be represented.  It's not nice to those who work so hard to bring us this event to start arguing over what we think aught to be, when they release details of what is to come.  The planes and location have been determined.  It's up to us to determine how were going to use what we've been given.  That is part of the fun of FiF especially now that we fly both sides.  It's a shame some people still look at an FiF setup and determine they will not take part in certain elements.  You don't really know what you can do with what is unfamiliar and seeming inferior until you have set your mind and made an effort to overcome obstacles instead of use them as an excuse.  (And right now I'm going to forget I'm better at applying these principals to a game than I am in real life.)   So deep six the aircraft debate and move forward on preparing to fly them.

As to the location, we've used it before.  It was great!  Just a little bit different plane list this time.  For those like me that have trouble with the map on the public servers, you should know that Butzzell does a good job of making it run smoothly.  He uses a good set of tweaks that work well.

And for those concerned about the Germans having a place to land, don't be.  England was happy to loan the use of some of it's land to Germany for this campaign in exchange for Germany promising to lose two World Wars.  Actually there were some other considerations acquiesced to by both sides but that's all hush hush and not to be discussed by the lower classes that will actually be doing the fighting.

Pay attention to what is said.  Plane sets are not chosen on a whim.  A lot of discussion goes into picking them.  The plane set is not up for debate and if not for the sale you would not be told this for awhile yet.  Butzzell said the DVII was a maybe.  That means that one plane is the only one about which an absolute firm decision has not been made.  This last FiF is proof enough that the designers of FiF try to work with as many planes and locations as they can.  So sooner or later your pet plane will likely be represented.  It's not nice to those who work so hard to bring us this event to start arguing over what we think aught to be, when they release details of what is to come.  The planes and location have been determined.  It's up to us to determine how were going to use what we've been given.  That is part of the fun of FiF especially now that we fly both sides.  It's a shame some people still look at an FiF setup and determine they will not take part in certain elements.  You don't really know what you can do with what is unfamiliar and seeming inferior until you have set your mind and made an effort to overcome obstacles instead of use them as an excuse.  (And right now I'm going to forget I'm better at applying these principals to a game than I am in real life.)   So deep six the aircraft debate and move forward on preparing to fly them.

Perhaps you should pay attention to what is said. The title of the thread is Tentative plane set! As far as I know this is yet to be determined (unless I missed a meeting... I was absent last Monday). I take offense at the tone of your...typing. To imply that I (or the others who also put in their opinions) in any way are dissing Butzzel and Stubby is off the hook. So "deep six" the attitude.

Perhaps you should pay attention to what is said. The title of the thread is Tentative plane set! As far as I know this is yet to be determined (unless I missed a meeting... I was absent last Monday). I take offense at the tone of your...typing. To imply that I (or the others who also put in their opinions) in any way are dissing Butzzel and Stubby is off the hook. So "deep six" the attitude.

Oh I did pay attention.  The word "Maybe" is used in the list for one plane.  Thus one plane is Tentatively included in the list.  This list wasn't put up for discussion, but to inform so people could take advantage of the sale.  The entire tone of the original post is informative.  Well I do know of a meeting you missed recently, but I don't see how your attendance at a meeting bears any relationship to this thread.  When somebody spends a lot of time and thought developing something, and then presents it, and people thoughtlessly jump all over it, and get carried away with making changes, that is going to frustrate the developer.  So while it was not intentional, there actually was, as you put it, a dissing of Butzzell and Stubby.  I'm guessing they just shrug it off, but it really doesn't need to be happening.

I've been around Butzzell enough to know that when he is seeking opinions he asks for them.  Plus this forum would never be the place to make decisions like that.  It's way too big of a committee to get anything done.

One thing that fails to register in my mind, is the wisdom of announcing certain planes so people can take advantage of a sale, and be prepared for an event, when there is a lack of certainty about using them.  Would that not precipitate an undesirable reaction?  Rather, wisdom would seem to dictate that any uncertainties be put forward as such.

Give some thought to the possibility that perhaps the offense was oversensitiveness to what was simply an attempt to corral a discussion that was pointlessly running away.  And while corralling the errant discussion, point it in a direction of thought more beneficial.

I've been around Butzzell enough to know that when he is seeking opinions he asks for them. Plus this forum would never be the place to make decisions like that. It's way too big of a committee to get anything done.

There is absolutely no reason people can't discuss the plane-set, and give their own wish list. As long as the feedback is constructive, it's good information that can be used to create better scenarios.

Regardless, Butzzell can speak for himself. And I don't like the tone of this thread.

This thread is locked.