352nd VFG Group Session

Did something a little different with my most recent video. I did not live stream it, not quite that handy yet, but I did record one of our 352nd VFG group sessions and I uploaded that recording later that night. Took just shy of 1 hour and 49 minutes to record the flight and then just a paltry 10 hours to upload it to YouTube...

The video includes our TeamSpeak chatter.

Group Session March 12, 2023
352nd Virtual Fighter Group - Full mission video of March 12, 2023
Video Source:

https://youtu.be/axv4dZi9OeE

I know this is a fairly long video so here are what I consider the highlights.

• 0:00 Engine Startup
  • 5:00 Outside View lining up to takeoff
  • 6:05 Takeoff Roll
  • 35:00 Loss of Engine Power / Disorientation in a Cloud (Minute: 35:00 - 40:30)
  • 55:00 Target Area (Minute: 55:00 - 64:00)
  • 1:04:30 Mission Results screen (Minute: 64:30)
  • 1:06:00 Egress Rendezvous Area (Minute: 66:00 - 73:00)
  • 1:42:00 Group Landing (Minute: 102:00 - Video end)

Wheels

Hey @wheelsup_cavu,

Great video!  Thanks for posting it.

Very nice attack runs, btw.

Btw: JG1 is about to start a campaign with the SCG squadron.  Also included are Jasta 30, SIA, some Advance and Secure tankers, the Wing Walkers, and others.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/83337-new-dynamic-war-pvp-campaign-unit-vs-unit/

If you're interested, it should be a lot of fun.

JG1 is Axis.  SCG is Allied.

10 hours ago, wheelsup_cavu said:

Thanks for the heads up on the campaign. I will pass it along to the rest of the group. 😎

Wheels

Hello @wheelsup_cavu

I am here on behalf of SCG. I am the organizer of the upper mentioned event and would like to extend and invite to your squadron to participate as Allied force to SCG. SCG will be participating as Allies and could use numbers, since their equipment will be mostly inferior to the AXIS ground forces. In the air, things will be much more equal, but once again it seems that our north American air wing may not be able to provide enough support, dur to the fact that they are more used with AXIS planes than Allied. So any support that you may offer will be of great help to SCG I am sure and will provide more competitive campaign so people will actually experience more challenging scenarios.

I am not sure how much have you been told, but this will be real time strategic campaign. It is a bit complicated to put it into a few words here, so if you wish to know more, I will need some sort of Discord channel or Team speak, where I can come and explain it into detail. There is also a rule book that I have uploaded to this message that will give you more or less an idea of the scope of the event.

HITMAN_3

Rule Book.pdf

Forgot to run a track so I will not be able to watch from different perspectives at a later date. Oops.

Had a pretty successful quick mission with this one. Didn't figure that I would have time to get to the main target area before we quit the warmup session and start the regular session so I decided to mess around a bit. Can't complain, I flew through a hangar at around 300 mph and a couple of JU-88's decided to come to the airfield to give me a target to shoot at too !!

Group Warmup Session March 19, 2023
352nd Virtual Fighter Group - Full mission video of March 12, 2023
Video Source:

https://youtu.be/73t8Txkf-hc

Wheels

On 3/19/2023 at 8:58 PM, Klaiber said:

@wheelsup_cavu, the hangar fly through at 1:35 is awesome!

It's great watching it in the mirror on your canopy bow.

That is definitely a unique perspective. I never even thought to look in the mirror. Even when watching the video I was looking straight ahead and judging my altitude.

10 hours ago, HITMAN_3 said:

@wheelsup_cavu Oscar joined our Discord last night and left me a message, but he then immediately left the channel. Do you know why is that? Are we going to communicate through the forum page here in case you decide to participate in the event or you have something else in mind?

I am not sure why Oscar popped in and out so quickly unless he left to join our normal group Session?

I am still not certain how the discussions are going to be conducted although I am fairly certain it will be discussed via TeamSpeak or Discord.

Wheels

13 hours ago, wheelsup_cavu said:

That is definitely a unique perspective. I never even thought to look in the mirror. Even when watching the video I was looking straight ahead and judging my altitude.

I am not sure why Oscar popped in and out so quickly unless he left to join our normal group Session?

I am still not certain how the discussions are going to be conducted although I am fairly certain it will be discussed via TeamSpeak or Discord.

Wheels

Very well. I am available on work days after 1900 German time - if you are meeting in Europe or more or less through the weekends. Of course you can ping me if you wish me to join some of those discussions and offer more in depth look into the campaign.

• 3 weeks later...

***Campaign update TEST 2:*** AXIS forces have suffered once more heavy casualties, but they have achieve a significant Victory too. 18th Allied Heavy armored division was overrun and 17th have also suffered loses. So the over all Allied loss was over 250 vehicles (Shermans and Churchills). The Doetinchem access bridge was captured also, so now the remaining 17th Allied Division will have to pull additional 7 km back, freeing some room from AXIS divisions to advance. Tactically the battle was AXIS victory, but on the losses front, it can be argued who won. The Allies have generally much more equipment to waste where the germans need to be careful with the special equipment. The way to the enemy capital is long. Only time will tell in the live version of the campaign. Same goes for the air forces on both sides. The equipment there is more balanced, but still in low numbers.

**What is next: ** Each side have now about a week left to finish preparations and send me their divisions placements if they have not already. After that I will send them back the intel reports for the enemy divisions and they will have one more week to readjust their tactics if needed. But in that once week, they no longer have the right to change positions of their divisions  on the map. Tentative start for the campaign is 22nd this month. The strategic map will go live on 22nd, meaning that all movement will begin then. After that, we are waiting for attack orders on either side, which will trigger a PVP events.

• 1 month later...

I had one of my best sorties in quite some time. Also had a not so great sortie too. 😉

352nd Virtual Fighter Group
Full mission video of May 07, 2023

I fly two sorties in this mission. At one point there were over 50 aircraft in the air which caused some server issues. It was one of the most action packed missions we have flown in quite some time.

Timestamps:
00:00 - Engine Startup
05:30 - Outside View line up for takeoff
11:20 - Takeoff roll
25:00 - At French Coast near Calais
28:00 - Bandits sighted
36:00 - Heading Home (heavily damaged)
39:00 - At French Coast near Calais
43:50 - Victory #1 is confirmed
48:15 - Jumped near Canterbury
1:00:00 - Sortie #2
1:14:00 - Inland Near Calais
1:20:00 - In Target area again
1:24:35 - Victory #2 is confirmed
1:26:15 - Victory #3 is confirmed
1:28:50 - Victory #4 is confirmed
1:33:45 - Victory #5 is confirmed
1:39:15 - Victory #6 is confirmed

Wheels

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I do not always fly Allied. 😉

Combat Landing in a Ju-52

We are in a campaign with another group and in order to capture an airfield it requires ground forces to drive next to a monument on that airfield and then have a cargo plane, Ju-52 for Axis and a C-47 for Allied, land on the airfield and taxi close to the hangars. Once next to the hangars you need to unload* the cargo safely before the airfield is finally captured. Landing and then ground looping next to the hangars is the fastest way I have found to accomplish this task.

When working as a team the ground forces and aircraft can capture a **non contested** airfield rather quickly and well before enemy forces can react to it.

Wheels

*There is no cargo unloading animation. The time it takes to unload can be guestimated after I ground loop by watch the cargo door on the Ju-52 open and then close.

• 2 weeks later...

Strafing Pass

Ground view of my strafing pass on parked aircraft. I am the second aircraft attacking the parked aircraft. I took out 5 of them with rockets and guns. 352nd Duckman was the first plane through and he took out 6 of them with guns only. I took out the first 4 of the 5 that were lined up at the beginning of the flight line on my next pass and 352nd_Crater got the last one which was the single at the end of the line in this video a little bit after my second pass.

352ndVFG group session on Sunday September 10, 2023.

Wheels

• 1 month later...

Here are a couple quick ones.

Scramble Mission October 22, 2023

Three Fw-190's are attacking our base. I takeoff and bag two of them before landing. 352nd_Oscar got the other one.

Bender still thinks he shot down my second victim. 😇

Circus Tank

One of the funny glitches that can happen in IL-2 Great Battles. I hit an invisible object in my tank and it causes me to leap into the air.

Wheels

• 2 months later...

Furball over Bonninghardt

Video Source: https://youtu.be/9TGpi6KOwSg

Video was taken from the Group Session of January 14, 2024. The Mission was flown on the Rheinland map.
Rheinland map @ IL-2 Mission Planner (Revived): https://serverror.github.io/IL2-Mission-Planner/#rheinland

Several of us were engaged with Bf-109’s and Fw-190s over and near the city of Bonninghardt in Grid 1421. As for my success during the mission let me sum it up by saying “Sometimes you are the windshield other times you are the bug…" 😵‍💫

Wheels