Leaked IL-2: BoS Video

Britchot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1j0LFPNVko

Not sure if you've seen this yet but it looks promising. It was mentioned that they have modeled ground effect and the lighting for the cockpits are quite stunning. I was talking to USMC_Trev yesterday and I have come to the decision of what leaves IL-2: 1946 in the past for me, lack of cockpit shadows and 3D, 6DoF cockpits. Although I find them highly entertaining, I can live without clickable cockpits. Even CloD winds up being only a few quick switches then on to my HOTAS and the Su-25T in DCS: World is a blast to fly.

So all I need are dynamic cockpit shadows and 3D cockpits. Well, shadows, 3D, and rendered trees that you can see from the side.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if it will effect your vulnerability to enemy fire. Like' date=' say, ducking down behind your armor plate while being shot at. Wonder if the pilot's hit boxes move.[/quote']

That would be an interesting concept to implement, though I doubt it. Reminds me too much of circle-strafing in World of Warcraft or bunny hopping in FPS games. I could see pilots constantly bobbing their heads to avoid the head-shot.

A quick search on RoF forums found an unanswered thread with that very question. It's easy to test on the ground with a buddy and a pistol' date=' though.

[/quote']

It definitely works with an aircraft like the Sopwith Dolphin, where your head is horribly exposed due to the open gap in the wing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopwith_Dolphin

People have even mapped a 'Duck your head" button in event of a roll over.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.net/topic/168-developer-diary/#entry13594

Here's something that concerns me with their multiplayer....

With global stats on or off, you'll be using only the planes and mods that you've obtained by purchasing the game or have unlocked by playing the Historical campaign (game SKUs and pricing will be described later)

You unlock planes and mods by finishing campaign missions and/or attaining awards. To me it looks like you have to fly the single player campaign in order to have all the content. It's sort of like the Battlefield FPS or Call of Duty, as far as I understand it, except you can't just get these awards via multiplayer. I hope I misunderstand their intent, it's not a deal breaker but man, flying SP over and over to unlock the 109G-6 would make me a bit sad.

Here's a new video, too:

I read some more and from Jason he mentioned the armor plate in the 109. You can have a mod where you can remove the plate if you'd like, leaving yourself vulnerable but increasing visibility, but that was only earned through multiplayer. If it's stuff like that, fine. I'm not going to get all up in arms with it, I'll get it, regardless.

Just reading over at the official forums

You will earn mods and skins through the "Historical campaign"

If I read it correctly.

The new video.... the occlusion test...as far as sound goes is too occluded imo.

But I saw some impressive crazing on the canopy