New Computer

Kliegmann

Started looking at new computers last night.  Mine's 5+ years old and starting to show its age (I bought Total War Warhammer, and can just barely run it).  After looking at several prices, comparisons and benchmarks, it looks like I'm staying with the AMDs.  So the one I'm staring very hard at is an AMD FX 6300 3.5 ghz 6-core with a GTX 1050 Ti for around $700.  I could do without all the LED bs, I'm sure that added another $30-$50 to the price tag, but oh well.  (Seems to be a 30-50 frame machine (30's on BF 1)  Couldn't find any benchmarks on this rig with P3D v3, which beside ROF and BoX is the sim I fly the most).  Really in the benchmarks the only thing that really put this machine to shame was the I7 OC to 4.2 giving BF1 upwards of 60 fps. (but for $3k it wont give 60 fps in my house).  This will be the first time in about 15 years that I'm stepping away from Radion Graphics cards, so kinda unsure about the GTX 1050 Ti

Any "x50" or "xx50" series Nvidia GPU is pretty low. The throughput capability is always a lot less due to less bus width, fewer cores, slower clock speeds, etc. The 80 series has always been the best standard GPU, not including the ultra high limited series like your 90/95's, TI's, Titans, etc. Obviously the 80's and all the others are super expensive, even prohibitive for many. The 70 series is normally considered a best buy because there is a steep price drop compared to an 80 card, with performance that is nearly indistinguishable from the 80, especially at 1080p resolutions or less.

Another consideration is that Radeon is made by AMD, and might therefore be more compatible, if you're definitely going with AMD. Motherboards supporting AMDs will support Crossfire, while those supporting Intel will be made for SLI. Single GPU, there won't be any problem... and it's entirely possible your MB will support either. Just something to consider.

Thanks.  After reading I started to look into other cards and realized that I hadn't really taken a hard look at the different processors, completely missed the Ryzen 5.  Still trying to learn about the Turbo settings and what they are, if it comes stock on the cores and is an automatic thing or if its akin to OC.  But, the Ryzen 5 1500X is 3.5 ghz, going up to 4.0 turbo???  I found 2 prebuild Ryzen 5's, one with a 1050TI for $870, the other with a 1060 for $1080.

The turbo thing is pretty much standard on all processors now. The processor automatically adjusts it's speed based on it's processing load. It's able to increase it's speed by increasing it's internal voltage and other parameters. It's far better than having the processor run at high speed all the time, because it keeps the heat load low the majority of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a couple of questions that I cant find any real answers to.  The computer comes with 120gb of SSD.  From what I have read and my understanding, SSD is primarily used for the computer's sleep mode, so when you restart the computer, it loads what was in memory immediately as long as you have not turned off the computer.  Now, I read somewhere else that someone installed their P3D sim onto their SSD so they get better frame rates.  Is it even possible to install to the SSD partition, and if so, wouldn't it just default back to the regular HD at that point?

S!

You will want the windows files on the SSD so that it boots faster. It will be dramatic.

I have a 500 gig ssd. All my system and files only come to 300 gig. Game loading times go much faster. Many people still use terabyte hard drives to store non critical files like music and movies.

I have 2 ssd drives one for OS other for games. I also have 2 sata drives for long term storage.

Ssd drives make OS load times much less and game access very quick no spinning disks of traditional hard drives.

Luft can provide more "tech" details bottom line faster!

I went to all SSD... they're relatively cheap. I do back-ups on a external HD. From what I understand, if an SSD takes a dump there are no ways to recover data whereas tech Gurus (and the Government) can recover at least some data from a spinner (HD). 

No need to recover data from Vonrd's HD.  NSA already has it.   Kinda my fault. I told the Dept. of Energy that Vonrd and myself were thinking of building Geothermal power plants across the country. I Inquired about government grants for alternative energy. Apparently people at Haliburton got scared and told the NSA we were a threat to the nation.   Sorry.