DCS: Syria... Performance?

Vogel

Hi folks!

With the Hind just around the corner, I've been once again looking at the Syria map and wondering if I should get it. My concern is that I've noted on the ED forums there are many people, with high spec machines, stating they're getting poor performance and lots of stuttering (even with a RTX 2080 & 32Gb RAM).

I'm running a similar system setup, with an i7 9700K. Developer feedback is non-existent on the ED forums, seemingly they're a non-english speaking team so ED handles communications "when they can". This has lead to more than a few frustrated players dealing with insane RAM usage on just an empty instant action mission, with the map filling up the entirety of their system RAM.

Curious if anyone here has had similar experiences? Hesistant to drop £40 on a map that I might not even use due to poor performance.

Cheers,

Vogel

I've just tried to make a training map on DCS Syria.  And at around 400 units, with no aircraft, I had big stutters.  Caucuses, Persian Gulf, Nevada and Channel Map can handle that with no problem.  So there is definitely a RAM issue.

The only other map I've had this type of problem on is Normandy, which was made by the same 3rd Party company.

I know that they'll fix it eventually.  But for right now, it's pretty hard to use.

Hmmm. I might give it a miss then, not sure. The ED maps can get a bit choppy with lots of units, so I can’t imagine how bad Syria would be. The fact folks with 32Gb of system RAM are struggling is showing some glaring issues in my opinion. It’s still very much an excessive amount of RAM to have for most games, I realise DCS is something of a unique case on the market but ouch...

• 2 weeks later...

I bought Syria last night, spent forever downloading it so didn't really get to play it until today. Holy hell... WOW! After flying on the Caucasus for so many years this is a real step up in fidelity. Frame rates seem to be alright too all things considered, so much low down detail flying the Mi-8 over Damascus and towards the Golan Heights etc was a real treat. The Hind is going to be unreal fun on this map, same goes for any low level work.

I hope somebody does a full IAF paid campaign with voice overs etc, so many historical events you could cover with the IAF's F-16 fleet. Screen_210420_205011.thumb.png.c6f28bb465666ce459796b54dce75441.png

Screen_210421_125244.thumb.png.a525d9aed72143ec75a6c3cfdc7446bd.png

Screen_210421_125458.thumb.png.19d7205aa6194b50b78b39e501d404d2.png

Found a little ad for Ugra Media's Normandy '44 map too xD.

Monday night I was doing some helo flying on Syria (Gazelle). Just to see what it would do to my system I cranked all my settings (except civ traffic & smoke stacks) to max & ran the new clouds at overcast 4.  Flying low level I was delighted with the detail & surprisingly my frames didnt get below 70. 

Admittedly I have a pretty high end system but some of the ppl with performance problems on Syria also have good systems so I really dont know what underlying problem is? 

I flew a VR sortie on Syria, MiG-21 free flight, and it was noticeably improved than pre-2.7.  I've also flown a sortie on max detail in VR (accidentally left on from my screen shots) in the Caucuses and found it to be about as good as my "VR settings" pre-2.7.  There were certainly optimizations made across the board.  I'm glad Syria got a lot of love. 

31 minutes ago, Klaiber said:

Yeah, Syria's performance is much improved.  I still have to do some tests to see if I can use it for a big mission.  But I'm very hopeful!

What kind of scenario did you have in mind? The Golan Heights has some really cool terrain and defensive positions to have a large scale ground force conflict. Would be heaven for CAS/ground strike.