Lt. Burath Fw-190 questions

Vonrd

It appears to be gloss or close to it. Would you be OK with a gloss rendition? It also appears that the fuselage cross was overpainted. I assume RLM 75 gray.

Also, I've read some people think that the background of the Demon was actually sky blue. (I prefer the yellow though). Can you confirm the color?

Burath questions.jpg

PgMUuJQ.jpg

Looking at how clean the overall machine is.... sure that is glossy and is faster..... eeeeewwwww...... speed..... I have some time off....  (yay) I will look in the library (it is almost accessible now) and see if I have anything on this machine.  I have read some fascinating articles about researchers studying black/white images and determining the colors from them and WOW what a science that is. I NEVER see what they are talking about, a totally different universe. 

18 hours ago, Vonrd said:

Also, I've read some people think that the background of the Demon was actually sky blue.

In older books, you'll see the emblem shown as a pink demon emerging from clouds against a blue background.

However, this has been shown to be wrong.

In Luftwaffe Gallery #4, by Erich Mombeek, page 27 reads: 

"It has long been assumed that the devil appeared against a blue sky background on these emblems, although a recently published colour photo indicates that the fires of hell have in fact turned the 'sky' a deep yellow red colour."

18 hours ago, Vonrd said:

t appears to be gloss or close to it. Would you be OK with a gloss rendition? It also appears that the fuselage cross was overpainted. I assume RLM 75 gray.

@Vonrd, check this private link:

https://forum.jg1.org/topic/3778-jg-1-oesau-emblems-and-markings/?do=findComment&comment=31579

There is a mock-up of that aircraft there. :D

This is what it says:

Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A-4 coded '<I' (WNr. 581) of Stab I./JG 1, flown by Lt. Eberhard Burath, Gruppenadjutant, Deelen, April 1941.

"This Fw 190 A-4 displays the devil in the clouds emblem of IV./JG 1 that was retained by the unit after it was renamed I./JG 1.  The Geschwader emblem, a Maltese cross overlaid with the sign of the hunter, appears beneath the cockpit.  The black and white cowl stripes also indicate that this machine belonged to the Stab of I. Gruppe.

The IV. Gruppe disc aft of the Balkenkreuz has recently been over-painted, most probably during early April when the unit was designated and Lt. Eberhard Burath was appointed Gruppenadjutant.  As one of the few pilots of the former IV./JG 1 to survive the war, Burath willingly assisted several authors with research into his former unit."