Refly after Disco

Vonrd

There was a question about whether you had to wait 5 min to refly after a disco. Per the ruleset:

"If a pilot discos due to a technical issue, they should immediately check in with their team commander (CO) and ask for a rules clarification. If the CO clears the pilot, he may re-enter the server and refly, as if nothing happened. This is true even if the pilot was in enemy territory.

However, while the pilot is now "okay", the aircraft he was flying is lost, and is deducted from his team's existing totals.

Additionally, all pilots returning from a disco still need to take their 5 minute timeout (as if they landed normally)."

Should we think about waiving the 5 min wait?

Hmmmm... well, as interim commander this past Saturday, I made one of our guys wait the 5 minutes after he disco'd.

I guess my position would be -- "any time you exit a flight, you have a 5 minute wait".  The only exception I'm aware of is if you are killed or captured, you can become a gunner for someone else immediately.  I see the disco more as "ending a flight" rather than death or capture, so I don't have any issues with a 5 min wait...  Additionally, if the guy disco'd, a brief wait might be a good thing, just to see if his connection is settled or not before (potentially) losing another plane if his connection is still spotty.

That said, I don't have any strong feeling about it either way, so I'd be fine with the consensus opinion, provided it's clear and agreeable to all.

Regards,

4 <S!>

+1 to FourSpeed.

The 5 minute wait after a disco was implemented on purpose.  Specifically, it was added to the rules because:

1.) A disco ends a flight, and thus should be treated like a landing or survivable crash.

2.) The 5 minutes are designed to prevent an abuse of a disco.  All pilots need a "cool down" period before re-entering in a new plane.  This is to prevent area spamming.

3.) If you're discoing, the 5 minute wait may help settle your connection.

Was there a specific incident on Saturday that caused concern?  If so, what are the details?

Hi Klaiber,

I'm not aware of any incident, per se.  I did have one pilot tell me he disco'd and ask if it was ok for him to fly again. I asked him the circumstances, and my understanding was that he was over enemy territory, but not actively engaged with any enemy contacts at the time of the disconnect.

At that point I mentioned the 5 minute re-fly timeout and then cleared him to fly again once that time limit was past.

I'm not aware of any issues, problems, or complaints with disco's from Saturday's mission, so I just assumed that Vonrd's question was one of general policy.  If that's a mistaken impression on my part, I hope Vonrd will clarify.

Regards,

4 <S!>

Was there a specific incident on Saturday that caused concern?  If so, what are the details?

There was at least one pilot who didn't wait 5 after disco (may have been another). I'm not going to name names... I'll leave it up to them. I don't think it had any significant affect but it was a rule infraction.

I'll be out of town for a few days. Mom's in hospital with pneumonia.