PC Is Kaput - Looking for advice

TedsOnMeds

Hey everybody. Going to copy my post submitted to a tech help forum the other day.

PC has been inop for about 2 weeks.

Pc turns on but won't display/boot fully. Monitors turn on but stay black.

Tried 4 different monitors with various cables on all GPu and moBo ports

Vga troubleshoot light on

Brand new 3060ti failed to resolve- issue replicates on original 1070 as well

Pcie power pins all testing good volts

No bad grounds from dmm testing board or PCIE connectors

Pc also will not boot fully/display to any monitor when run off mobo slots/graphics w/ gpu disconnected

CMOS reset failed to resolve

New ram sticks failed to resolve

Here are bulld specs : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Ct4jvn

My best guess is CPU is dead or some sort of motherboard issue?

I'm about ready to just buy a pre-built and swap my memory drives and the new CPU I acquired to test if I'm unable to resolve this weekend 

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated, I simply cannot continue to have an inop PC while In school, especially with parts of my income relying on video editing etc

3 hours ago, Moxy said:

Square one idea.???

New MB/bios battery?, reset the bios (battery install might do it), 1 monitor , will it boot into Bios?

Already attempted this, both battery change and CMOS reset jumper briged to reset Bios.

no change in condition after either. 

PC starts and screen is black but on. Will not boot to bios.

Screenshot_20221028_225839.jpg

Edited by TedsOnMeds
Included procedure followed

I had the same issue a while ago. Had to take it in to a pro. Turned out to be "corrupted BIOS" (said with a Vietnamese accent). Not sure what he did but it fixed it. I now have a different manufacturer's BIOS. It was worth the $250 but I still wish I had the info as to how he determined this. Maybe Google / Yelp IT / Computer repair in your area. Sometimes it's worth it...

Vonrd - thar makes sense, a lot ld the times those issues crol up and vench testing the motherboard would probably be the best bet. I'm assuming it's a board or CPU from how it behaves.

Mox - it doss actually shut down, just starts and won't display. Still a bench test and thumb stick boot may help 

So I woke up this morning and tried resetting the CMOS battery/bios again and this time it would actually flash to bios for me. 

Notably, unplugging my USB hub may have also helper somhow? That is the only other change I made today

Ill have to see what I can do from here. New bios update flash and default settings May help.

Update 1: Bios flash seemed to at least get me to the point the computer will now actually boot in fully. Now to see if I can get to recognize a GPU is the next step. But worst case scenario I at least have a functioning PC again

thanks for all the help everybody!!!

20221029_092902.jpg

20221029_094232.jpg

20221029_095815.jpg

Edited by TedsOnMeds
Update 1

Congrats! Your up and running! (noticed your bios setting in the pic "legacy"???), Anyway, Bios is up, windows is up. So what killed it? (cia virus, capacitor, etc. who knows?)

(I had a situation similar once , mine was "out of the monitors resolution") Hardware stress testing through Windows?

Best of Luck

1 hour ago, Moxy said:

Congrats! Your up and running! (noticed your bios setting in the pic "legacy"???), Anyway, Bios is up, windows is up. So what killed it? (cia virus, capacitor, etc. who knows?)

(I had a situation similar once , mine was "out of the monitors resolution") Hardware stress testing through Windows?

Best of Luck

Still haven't figured out root cause. Just magically started up again after a week of starting but not booting. 

Had everything disconnected the whole time I was trouble shooting. 

Now it works and I have a couple of fresh parts out of it, so no problem I guess ? Successful start with 0 issues this morning too.