Luftritter

Feedback on forum mobile version

I hope this will not be taken as nitpicking, but now might be the time to submit some feedback concerning the new forum mobile version as compared to the old one.

Navigation: instead of showing a path with which you can jump directly to a forum section, the return button only shows the previous section and keeps going back only one section at a time in a serial fashion.  If you're deep in a sub-forum, it can take as many as 4 back navigations (and page loads) to get back to the home section.

Initial view: when you go to any section, your view starts at the top (original post). The old mobile version used to start at the bottom (most recent post). When you have some very long posts and sometimes people then quoting those entire posts, it can seem like you have to scroll a mile to get to the part of the thread that you actually need to see.  That can be a pain when looking at multiple threads.

Log-in: with the old mobile version, if I told it to remember me, if I loaded the forum I'd automatically be logged in. Now it seems that I have to sign in every time, regardless.

This last one relates to the full version of the forum. Line spacing: you hit the return button when composing a post, and it automatically double spaces.  I can't figure out any way to make it single space if I use the return button, like when I'm making a list of something. It does single space when you just let it start a new line by typing to the end, but there are times when you need to do it manually. It's a lot easier to simply hit the return twice if it's a single space, than to have it double space every time and not have any way to delete one of the line spaces.

Apologies if any or all of this stuff has some way to be configured by individual users and I'm just too ignorant to figure it out.

Thanks!

Hi Luft,

Thanks for the feedback!  I've moved this to the public section so @Gustavo can see it.

I don't think there is a lot you can do about the overall aesthetics.  That's just what IP.Board 4.3.5 looks like now, both on your phone and in your computer browser.

There may be some way to personally customize certain aspects of it.  However, I'm not an expert on this, so I'm not sure.

My feelings are that IP.Board has generally taken away some of the past flexibility in order to provide more power with regards to posting options.

Line spacing: you hit the return button when composing a post, and it automatically double spaces.  I can't figure out any way to make it single space if I use the return button, like when I'm making a list of something. It does single space when you just let it start a new line by typing to the end, but there are times when you need to do it manually. It's a lot easier to simply hit the return twice if it's a single space, than to have it double space every time and not have any way to delete one of the line spaces.

The newer versions of IP.Board have pushed aside BBCode:

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/417407-ips-40-the-current-state-of-bbcode-and-its-future-is-bbcode-officially-abandoned/

In the old forum, you could hit the symbol in the upper left and see the pure BBCode.  Now, when you hit Source (upper left) you get HTML.  This was done intentionally, as HTML was considered to be more robust.

Because all of our posts are now HTML, each Return / Enter creates a new paragraph.

<p>
	Because all of our posts are now HTML, each Return / Enter creates a new paragraph.
</p>

This is what is creating the double spaces.

As someone who learned to type on a typewriter, and enjoys having complete control over what I'm writing and how I'm writing it, this was off-putting at first.  However, I'm getting used to it.

If you try to edit out the <p></p>, it's super time consuming, and will just throw all your text on one line.  Not helpful.

All I can say is that this is by design:

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/406717-line-spacing/

Perhaps Gustavo can add some more thoughts.

1 hour ago, Luftritter said:

Log-in: with the old mobile version, if I told it to remember me, if I loaded the forum I'd automatically be logged in. Now it seems that I have to sign in every time, regardless.

Hey @Luftritter,

Regarding this issue, I have been logged on since day one, and all I did was click the "Remember me" during sign-in.
There shouldnt be a difference between mobile or desktop in this matter. This needs further testing but it seems that would be a big oversight of the IPboard development team. Maybe your browser is not saving cookies properly or you have some kind of adblock installed (just a thought, dont get me wrong).

This last one relates to the full version of the forum. Line spacing: you hit the return button when composing a post, and it automatically double spaces.  I can't figure out any way to make it single space if I use the return button, like when I'm making a list of something. It does single space when you just let it start a new line by typing to the end, but there are times when you need to do it manually. It's a lot easier to simply hit the return twice if it's a single space, than to have it double space every time and not have any way to delete one of the line spaces.

Yeah, the recent forum uses HTML so... The rules are:

ENTER = Paragraph (<P> tag)
SHIFT+ENTER = single line break (<BR> tag)

Again this is by design and I cant do anything about it :/

Initial view: when you go to any section, your view starts at the top (original post). The old mobile version used to start at the bottom (most recent post). When you have some very long posts and sometimes people then quoting those entire posts, it can seem like you have to scroll a mile to get to the part of the thread that you actually need to see.  That can be a pain when looking at multiple threads.

There's a lot of complains in this regard in the IPboard forums. Sadly, right now theres no way to define that option via the settings, you do get the option depending on where you click. Check my attached image. clicking on the topic name, takes you to the first unread comment, clicking on the date takes you to the most recent comment.

Again this might be possible to change in the forum templates to make it less cryptic. Ill see what I can do!

Navigation: instead of showing a path with which you can jump directly to a forum section, the return button only shows the previous section and keeps going back only one section at a time in a serial fashion.  If you're deep in a sub-forum, it can take as many as 4 back navigations (and page loads) to get back to the home section.

I'll see what I can do, as this requires changing the forum pages templates.

2019-05-29_15-24-08.png

Forgive me for sharing a screenshot of the Desktop version, but on mobile is the same. Clicking on the topic name, takes you to the latest unread comment, while clicking on the "Date" to the right (where it mentions 1 day ago, 3 mins ago) takes you to the latest reply.

@Luftritter, regarding the paragraph issue, there was actually a option on the Forum Admin Settings that could be changed, which I did,  and now pressing Enter takes you to the next line instead of creating a new paragraph. @Klaiber if you dont want it this way, please let me know. (I actually prefer it this way and I'm happy that they provide an option)

2019-05-29_15-38-32.png

Aha! Thanks for the tips!  Shift+Enter!  Click on the date!  Cool!  I just need to get into the swing of using this stuff!

Us old guys liked the old GUIs where everything you needed or wanted to do was always right in front of your face.  I notice newer development from younger people have a lot of stuff hidden because it's all meant to be used on touch screens or phones.

Thanks again!

Disregard my previous comment... I had to revert to the old setting because... (way to go IPBOARD team!) if I change it now, it applies to all conversations, even the old one, and it was making the forum ultraweird as all line breaks were removed!)

2019-05-29_15-44-37.png

Update on the "remember me" function not working.  First I should have clarified that I'm using Google Chrome for my browser.  Gustavo was correct in that it had something to do with cookies.  I found a specific answer here:  Remember Me doesn't work

Now it still needs to be tested since I can't delete the file because my browser is open right now.  But I will edit this if I find that it does work.

21 hours ago, Britchot said:

To go all the way back to home, I’ve been scrolling to the top and clicking on the Jagdgeschwader 1 banner.

Good find with the line spaces, though I have already become accustomed to it. 

This brings up another request, especially if the forum templates are going to be changed in any way.  Forums that I've been on that have the navigation options (for example, that JG1 banner) both at the top AND the bottom of threads are especially convenient.  Again, eliminates excessive scrolling.  Just something to consider, if it's at all a possibility.

Thanks!

On 5/30/2019 at 1:32 PM, Luftritter said:

This brings up another request, especially if the forum templates are going to be changed in any way.  Forums that I've been on that have the navigation options (for example, that JG1 banner) both at the top AND the bottom of threads are especially convenient.  Again, eliminates excessive scrolling.  Just something to consider, if it's at all a possibility.

Thanks!

Hi @Luftritter,

Thats actually a must-have feature, the allmighty "Scroll to top button" that used to exist on 3.x and then IPTeam decided that it was not worth it on 4.x (why, noone knows..).

So I went ahead and made my own implementation of it, as you can see on the forum and on the attached screenshot, there is now a button that you can push that will take you back to the top of the thread. 

IOS users can double click the top status bar and has the same effect. (I think)

If theres any feedback regarding it, please let me know!

2019-06-04_14-57-36.png

On 5/30/2019 at 1:27 PM, Luftritter said:

Update on the "remember me" function not working.  First I should have clarified that I'm using Google Chrome for my browser.  Gustavo was correct in that it had something to do with cookies.  I found a specific answer here:  Remember Me doesn't work

Now it still needs to be tested since I can't delete the file because my browser is open right now.  But I will edit this if I find that it does work.

Regarding the cookies, you can do it from within the browser.

If you want to delete cookies of a particular website (forum.jg1.org for example) you can go to this internal chrome URL (you need to copy/paste this link because as a security measure chrome wont let you click it): 

chrome://settings/content/cookies

And there, you can "Show all cookies / websites"  and find the forum url and click on the trashcan to delete only the cookies for that site.

Bear in mind this will log you off and you'll need to re-login.

Hope this helps!

Whoa, that's scroll-back feature is nice!  Not exactly what I expected since I didn't know you couldn't do what was done in the past by having a navigation path at the top and bottom of every thread. However, this allows you to return to the top even from the middle of long threads.

The only drawback I can see is some people might not like having a part of the screen covered up. IMHO the benefit far outweighs the minor distraction.  It will be interesting to see what everybody else has to say about it.

Thanks again for your awesome work!  Great job!  👍👍

1 hour ago, Gustavo said:

So I went ahead and made my own implementation of it, as you can see on the forum and on the attached screenshot, there is now a button that you can push that will take you back to the top of the thread. 

IOS users can double click the top status bar and has the same effect. (I think)

If theres any feedback regarding it, please let me know!

2019-06-04_14-57-36.png

Thank you so much for this @Gustavo!  This is a fantastic addition.  Hopefully this didn't require too much of your time.  If there was any funds involved, please let Brit and I know.

To my shame I only discoverd some days ago that I can have a mobile version with even a link on my start page. Super. Now I can keep up with the JG1 even when I have a mandatory rest.

Thanks to the wizards who made this possible.

NB not smart to use when sleepy, I dropped my rugged CAT  phone on head.

☠️