Interview with Eagle Dynamics (in Russian)

Klaiber

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/97330-dcs-roadmap-unofficial-no-discussion-here/?do=findComment&comment=4766714

Key moments from the just released interview with Eagle Dynamics (in Russian)

- ED is going to make a transport/cargo plane (the devs gave it a thought and decided that it's worth a shot). Details will be announced "in due time". There's a VERY small hint that this could be a WWII era module, but this is just my assumption, so don't quote me on this - ED haven't said anything specific.

AH-64: still on track to be released this year, there shouldn't be any delays. More than 15 SMEs are working on it (for comparison: typical ED module only has 2 or 3 assigned experts). Still, the team prefers real-world documents and data (if available) over the SMEs opinions, especially when they contradict each other.

- At the moment, no 3rd party modules are queued for ED's review/certification. They haven't seen Kiowa or F-15E yet, so have no idea of their current status and quality.

F-4 Phantom is "definitely coming to DCS, and quite soon".

- GCI/AWACS module: on the wishlist, but is kinda challenging. Maybe someday.

VR. This is now a priority task for ED to make it significantly better.

- Updated manual for the Mission Editor will be released this Fall.

- In development: improved infantry models with new animations. Improved infantry' pathfinding logic. "We're actively training our paratroopers right now". All older AI units will get the new models, eventually (inlc. S-3B).

- The World War II Marianas will be released as a standalone map - not as a "time layer" for the current map, as suggested earlier. The map is still in pre-production.

- Users should expect "appropriate vehicles, ships and planes" to be released for the 1944' Marianas.

- The devs are still committed to make the full fidelity MiG-29 once the Black Shark 3 is released.

Dynamic campaign: initial release will be limited to single player. Multiplayer mode will be added later. "We're big fans of Falcon BMS".

- Chizh: the devs are quite satisfied with the controversial R-27ER's FM rework. Another round of fine-tuning in different modes is planned for later, but this could result in a slightly nerfed stats. Same overhaul is planned for the R-77, but it will be much more challenging, because of the missile's grid fins and the lack of unclassified data.

- Several dedicated devs are currently assigned to upgrade all air-to-air missiles to the new flight model. Once done, they'll gonna rework the proximity fuzes.

Update regarding Phantom:

- F-4 Phantom is "definitely coming to DCS, and quite soon".

EDIT: Since this part got a lot of attention (and even accusation of me being a "bad translator" 🤦‍♂️ ), I must clarify that ED haven't specified who's creating the Phantom (ED or a 3rd party). I made a literal translation of Kate's words ("Он будет точно в DCS. Достаточно скоро"), without adding anything from myself.

EDIT #2: This is getting a bit ridiculous. Now people are saying that my translation is bad because it's not the Phantom, but the Corsair that is coming. Guys, seriously. You don't even need to know Russian to clearly hear the word "Phantom". Not "F4U", not "F4D", not "Corsair", not "Su-57".

Here's the literal, word-by-word transcript of that part:

Interviewer: Фантом... / Phantom...
Kate Perederko: Да? / Yes?
I: Перспективы? / Perspectives?
K: Он будет точно в DCS / It will definitely be in DCS.
I: Замечательно! / Wonderful!
K: Достаточно скоро / Soon enough.
I: Волшебно / Fabulous.

Could the interviewer made a mistake? I don't know. Could Kate misspoke or somehow misinterpret the question? I don't know. All I know is that I have correctly translated what was said in the video.

P.S. I have nothing to do with that post on Reddit. The person who made it just stole my translation without asking permission or giving me any credit.

So a Phantom is on the cards, a full-fidelity Fulcrum is coming within a year or two (presumably) and there will be more Pacific Theatre aircraft. Great stuff! I hope they're planning more IJN aircraft than just the Zero (though I'd love to fly an A6M5 Model 52a from a Shokaku-class CV). A Raiden variant perhaps? IIRC the J2M2 Model 11 had its combat debut over the Philippine Sea and the Marianas, so it would make sense to include it... Though unlike the Zero there are no flying examples left anywhere in the world. Modelling it correctly would to be quite difficult.

I'm definitely looking forward to eventual Japanese aircraft.  I would hope that the majority of them would be late War, to keep in synch with the late War European stuff, thus allowing a mix and match.

The A6M5 Model 52a would be perfect, as would a Mitsubishi J2M2 Model 11.  I'd also love a Nakajima Ki-84 Frank.

On 9/5/2021 at 6:47 PM, Klaiber said:

Key moments from the just released interview with Eagle Dynamics (in Russian)

And to stir the pot a bit more. An announcement from Heatblur. 

image.png

So that makes you wonder what this special release for the 28th is?

I have my own ideas but lets see what y'all think. 

3 hours ago, Klaiber said:

I'm definitely looking forward to eventual Japanese aircraft.  I would hope that the majority of them would be late War, to keep in synch with the late War European stuff, thus allowing a mix and match.

Exactly! 

3 hours ago, Klaiber said:

The A6M5 Model 52a would be perfect, as would a Mitsubishi J2M2 Model 11.  I'd also love a Nakajima Ki-84 Frank.

Same here, though the Ki-84's combat debut came a few months after the Marianas campaign. If we stick to the mid-1944 timeline, then the Ki-44 and Ki-61 would be more appropriate, as they were in widespread service in that period. On the IJN side, the N1K1 Shiden (not the more capable N1K2 Shiden-Kai, which became operational in December 1944) would be my preferred option.

57 minutes ago, Yogi said:

It actually makes it easy. Whos to say they are wrong?? 🤣

Fair point. :D