Starting a "fortnightly" Twitch stream! :)

WQ85l9f.jpg

Salute gents!

In recent discussions on the ROF forums, a few people have suggested that live streaming would be a good way to promote ROF...so I am now pleased to present "JG1_Hotlead's Three-Ring Circus!"

Every other Sunday evening, I take my younger brother (Furious Flea) and younger cousin (Cloaked Careful) onto NFF for 45-60 minutes and we almost always end up having a blast. We've talked, and we've decided to start streaming our fortnightly adventures on Twitch! biggrin.png I've been working at test streaming and getting my Twitch channel set up the way I want it. You can see it here:
https://www.twitch.tv/jg1_hotlead

The astute observer will observe that I "borrowed" certain concepts from JG1_Britchot's professional-looking channel, like the topic cards in my bio. Why try to improve on something that looks great already? :P BTW, his channel is really worth a look if you are interested in Elite Dangerous. You can see it here:
https://www.twitch.tv/britchot

We will officially start streaming tomorrow at 7pm Central. (We usually fly on alternate Sundays around 5pm, but since this upcoming Sunday is Easter Sunday, our schedule will be a little off. ;) ) If you can't make it, no worries! Our broadcasts are archived for 14 days in our "videos" tab.

If you would like to be alerted when we go live on Twitch, feel free to give us a "follow" there!

Salute! icon_e_salute.gif
- HotleadColdfeet

PS: While we are on the subject of Twitch streaming for ROF, here are two streamers (past and present) who have some really good content:

1) Hellbender. Although he's been inactive for a while now, his highlights are a riot to watch! Thanks for putting these out there, Bender! smile.png
https://www.twitch.tv/hbndr/videos/all

2) Warhawk1947. For a while now, he's been livestreaming a permadeath singleplayer campaign in PWCG. His current pilot serves in the Eastern Front and has 47 missions flown with 20 air victories. Worth a watch when he's online! https://www.twitch.tv/warhawk1947

Looks very nice, Hotlead, followed.  Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery and I'll take it ;)

Although it's almost all been Elite Dangerous since I started, I will also stream CloD (now that I know how) and BoS whenever I'm flying public servers.  I've learned some neat tricks with splash pages for those times I step away from JG4_Karaya's OBS Tutorial.  I need to set hotkeys to mute the audio as well as throw up notifications that I'm temporarily away from the keyboard instead of cutting off the stream all together.  

I'll keep an eye out for you and your Circus if I'm not actively flying!

Looks very nice, Hotlead, followed.  Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery and I'll take it ;)

Although it's almost all been Elite Dangerous since I started, I will also stream CloD (now that I know how) and BoS whenever I'm flying public servers.  I've learned some neat tricks with splash pages for those times I step away from JG4_Karaya's OBS Tutorial.  I need to set hotkeys to mute the audio as well as throw up notifications that I'm temporarily away from the keyboard instead of cutting off the stream all together.  

I'll keep an eye out for you and your Circus if I'm not actively flying!

Britchot,

Highlights of your Elite Dangerous missions would be appreciated, still plan to get it when it goes on sale.

S!

Thanks guys! :)

Regarding our schedule, I forgot that next Sunday is Easter Sunday. We won't be able to stream then. Therefore, we are going to try for tomorrow night (Tuesday) at 7pm. I've also updated the original post and will update my Twitch page when I get home. ;)

I've been avoiding replaying any videos due to copyright issues for the music I keep on the background. However, I'll go twitch no-rights music for the next undermining trip with Klaiber and Trev so I can store it. I guess I'll have to figured out how to do that first, though ;)

If there's looping Command and Conquer-like music that would be siiiiick braaahhh LOL

Thanks for the kind words guys! :)

We did our first live stream this evening. You can see it here as an archived video. What are your guys' thoughts on it as far as production goes? I could tell I needed to fiddle with a few settings as my microphone would sometimes cut off the beginning of my words. Also, I think the loading screen might have lasted a little too long before the stream actually started. Would you guys also like to see a webcam on me in my streams or would you prefer not to?

Anyway, we had a blast today. We should be flying again on April 30th. :D

I haven't had the chance to watch your clip yet but I know I've got plans for a webcam, simply because I want to be able to interact with my viewers more. I feel the chat alone is not enough. I'll be adding it after my trip, I believe. However, I may take part of my rig with me (sans flight controls) and start that early. Hotel internet dependent.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! We flew again this evening. You can see the video archived here

Although we did our customary foolin' around, Cloaked Careful and myself had some more "professional" flights where we sought to improve our communication and utilize team tactics. Flea however, really could care less I think. His main focus is about is bringing the most damage to the enemy - the more outlandish the weapon used, the better! Survival is, ah...secondary. We're still working on him lol. laugh.png

I also worked to up the game volume so it would be easier to hear their voices. We should be flying again on May 14th! smile.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys!

We flew again last Sunday. Unfortunately, Cloaked Careful's joystick conked out and he was unable to fly. :( We hope to have him airborne once more by our next streaming date. 

Anyway, you can see our May 14th stream here:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/143649567

We will be flying again on May 28th! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! We flew again this afternoon! Cloaked Careful found an extra joystick, so he was back in business! :D We had a blast, but the highlight for me was a 15 minute dogfight with a very competent N.17 pilot. 

You can find both halves of our May 28 stream here: 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/147892592

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/147900347

Here also is the highlight of the dogfight I had:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/147937900

We will be flying again on June 11th! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hey guys! We streamed again last Sunday! 

As always, we had a blast. Of note this time, Furious Flea managed to get 2 air to air kills with wing-mounted rockets! (Especially noteworthy since he didn't kill himself in the process both times... icon_lol.gif ) You can see our archived stream here:

We will be flying again on July 9th! 

Also, if any of you are interested, my brother Shaw (who goes by "BigBadPenguin" online) and I will be doing a test stream of Star Wars Battlefront this upcoming Sunday, at the same time as my usual broadcasts. Should be fun!  icon_e_biggrin.gif

Salute all!

Flea, Careful, and myself flew ROF again this evening. This might be one of my favorite streams yet! Nieuports, Handley Pages, and a surprise guest in the last few minutes - this stream has it all! You can watch the archived broadcast here:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/157910159

We will be flying again on July 23rd! Also, Shaw and I might try streaming again this upcoming Sunday. We are currently looking at going through a co-op campaign in ARMA III. Fun times ahead...

Wow Hotlead, you are so amazing in your 2-seaters, jumping to all positions and accurately hitting anybody who's anywhere near you!  I have no idea how you change so fast, you're in and you're firing almost instantly.  Seems like any time I get into a turret the gun is always cock-eyed and even jams itself trying to turn the opposite way I am, the whole time the enemy is firing.  Not to mention wounding and oiled engines seem to have almost no effect on you.

I don't think I've seen anybody do what you do as well as you do that trick.  There were guys like Bender/Darling who were great together, but they never did it solo anywhere near as well as you, as far as I know.

After you guys shut down, I kept flying my Camel, and in a while BH_Dudley showed up and we teamed up.  Later after the server had rotated, Butzzell came on and we all had a lot of fun for quite a while, and I switched to Dr1.  I saw Ricky Recon on the server also, although he wasn't on our TS channel.  We all had some great battles!

Big JG1 salute!  You are impressive!   :lol:

Thanks Luft! I'm glad you, Dudley, Butzell, and R.Recon had a good time! :D

Here's my process for self-gunning if it helps:

1) I have a button mapped on my joystick that toggles "switch combat post" or something like that. Pressing it once will take me to the nearest gunner position. Pressing it again will take me to the next, and so on until it takes me back to the cockpit. 

2) Before taking off (or just after) I cycle through all my gunner positions. At each one, I hit "T" for "take control" and "R" for "reload." That way, whenever I switch to take control of a gun, it'll be locked, loaded, and able to be controlled immediately. 

3) The basic key combo for "nestle to gunsight" is "Shift + T" I believe. However, that was simply a pain to hit every time I took control of a gun. So, I remapped it to the "Y" key. I don't think it has any use in the game and it is conveniently right next to the "T" for "take control" key. So, whenever I need to gun, I hit my joystick button, press the "Y" key, and I am nestled to gunsight and ready to shoot very quickly. 

4) Flying while gunning: I use my feet on the rudder pedals to make minor adjustments while shooting. Also, I rest my left hand on the joystick and use minor movements to keep my plane steady. I try not to do really spicy maneuvers while gunning, so that I can aim better. However, if both my clips run out, then I shake things up by suddenly snap rolling my plane or something like that. By the time the surprised bandit is able to reposition on me, usually my guns have reloaded and I can go at him again. Number one rule: If you think you are in danger of crashing GET OUT OF THE TURRET AND GET BACK IN THE COCKPIT TO FLY THE PLANE!!! :lol: There is no good way to really fly the plane from a turret while gunning. While in the gunner's seat, the best you can do is sort of "guide" your plane like I described above. Fly from the cockpit to get a good position, and then switch to the gunner to take the shots you've opened up. Rinse and repeat until somebody's dead. :P

Great tips!  I had no idea you could "Take Control"  ahead of time!

If you do that, does the AI gunner still have the ability to act, or must you do all the rear (or front) gunnery?

On my gaming keyboard, I have keys that I can record macros.  I made one that takes me into the position, takes control, and nestles to gun sight.  However, it doesn't work reliably.  Also, it can somehow get out of sync so that it doesn't do the same thing when going out and back in.  So it's not really a good solution....I like your ideas, but mainly wondering about the AI still working.  Although it's not to be trusted most of the time, I find that when set on long range, it makes an infallible warning device for incoming attackers that you wouldn't normally see, or see in time.  Like that time Weiss warned us of incoming Eindeckers when we were flying our F.E.2b's!   ;)