Email Address Needed to Sign In ×
Kliegmann

Multiple HDs on Gaming computers

I have a friend that plays Arma, Battlefield and Total War online on his computer.  He has installed separate HDs for each of the games in is gaming computer.  He swears that by doing so his games perform better.  Is there really any benefit to doing such a thing, other than a whole lot of storage space you're never gonna use?

I have a friend that plays Arma, Battlefield and Total War online on his computer.  He has installed separate HDs for each of the games in is gaming computer.  He swears that by doing so his games perform better.  Is there really any benefit to doing such a thing, other than a whole lot of storage space you're never gonna use?

Not really, I have a combination of RAID 0 and SSD's right now but when I redo the OS that will go away and I'll be 100% on SSD's.

S!

Ok, thats what I thought.  He was going on about virtual memory, and fragmentation, and such.  Virtual memory, isn't really a thing anymore and is a left over from like 20 years ago?  I remember doing something like that with my games back in the day, but I'm assuming modern computers dont have such a thing anymore.

They still use page files, but you can't assign that for different games, as it is for the PC.

SSDs now that will make stuff faster, Luft did a whole thread on that... :D

Right, if you have the game on an SSD but your OS is on an HDD with say 8GB's of RAM for DCS. You're bottlenecked and the lack of RAM / Page File usage will slow you down.

If the Game and Page File is on SSD's and you have 32GB's of DDR4 Dual or Quad Channel then the Page File usage will be minimal if at all.

Keep in mind, certain OS versions can only use a specific amount of RAM. 64bit Win 7 Home can use a maximum of 16GB's.

S!

So is virtual memory still a thing then?  The computer using the HDD for temp memory and the vocabulary has changed (page file vs virtual memory)?????

Virtual memory is your physical memory combined with the page file.

The Page File is a Memory image and is addressing, it could store up to twice the Memory allocation. The thing is some applications are better at using memory addressing and can be specific. Technically you can turn it off if you have lot's of RAM.

Some even have leaks, this will cause the RAM to max out that and the addressing will just continue to increase. At some point it goes boom !

S!