AMD vs Nvidia GPU

Etzel

Hi guys, short question:

As my plans for buying a new PC system becoming more concrete now I want to raise a question again, that was for sure discussed here & at several other places, nevertheless I'd like to know the actual opinion-landscape of my JG1 mates here (esp. those who fly the IL2 BoX series):

AMD Radeon or NVIDIA for GPU => What are your preferences and why?

I am a Nvidia guy mainly because I have always been one & have never had a problem with it. Running an RTX 2080 TI right now but will be upgrading to a 3080 in the near future. 

You asked about BoX specifically. In the interest of transparency after the last IL2 upgrade I can no longer get BoX to load. It crashes on boot but I am reasonably confident that has nothing to do with my GPU. 

~S~ Etzel

Just recently switched to nvida from AMD! (the differences are very visually subtle)

There are few shaders with in BoX that my AMD didn't  process as intended (didnt realize till the switch)

(correctable with a Vulcan wrapper, or reshade, but that's another story)

The 1st 2 things I noticed immediately  after the switch, was a luma? glow (aircraft on fire) , that was not visible on my AMD.

Also the rendering of the GUI map...the tone-aility was slightly more readable.

Another big factor for myself  from AMD to Nvida, was aircraft render. Nvida seems to be more constant through out distance (still pranged)

compared to my AMD I think this is due to the glow.

Im not a fan boy, but I like AMD better, But my game seems to work visually better on Nvida. (at least on my system)

Proof for the 1st time since they started creating "Fair" visibility lol... I can actually see. (for what it worth)

But here's the kicker, they change stuff (including shaders) every update...and without knowing their "reference system"

"Who knows what this game should look like!"

Hope this helps, good luck

Moxy

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 6:12 AM, Yogi said:

I am a Nvidia guy mainly because I have always been one & have never had a problem with it. Running an RTX 2080 TI right now but will be upgrading to a 3080 in the near future. 

You asked about BoX specifically. In the interest of transparency after the last IL2 upgrade I can no longer get BoX to load. It crashes on boot but I am reasonably confident that has nothing to do with my GPU. 

Yogi,  see the post I just put up in tech support thread about tweak II  or msi afterburner utility.  Apparently,  something in 4.506, last patch makes it so you can't run the game, at least in my case, if either of these programs are running

~S~

Guys try turning "exclusive" off (zero), in the Start up config. Exclusive give the game override capability

might work

[KEY = input]
    exclusive = 0  <--------------
    input_map = "input.map"
    mouse_plane_control = 0
    old_trackir = 0
    turrets_angle_limit = 0.00000
    turrets_dc = 1

Mox