Some questions regarding building a new PC

Balge

Hi Guys,

I just got a nice bonus and a raise and I'm thinking, that now might be a good time to think about building a new PC.
My current Machine ist still sufficient (GTX 1070, 16gb Ram, Ryzen Prozessor => actually don't know what Model that is and can't look it up right now. It was the first smaller consumer model, two HDDs and two 500gb SSDs)
The computer is still sufficient for most stuff but I would like to try out VR and thats not possible with that machine.

My questions would be:
- Ryzen VS Intel: Ryzen is way more cost efficient but Intel still has the best single core performance.
- Would you recomment an RTX 3070 or would it be better to just fork over an additional 700 euro and get an 3080 or the "TI" version?
- What motherboard would you recommend? I'm not up to date with the available Models at the Moment

I could just read up on most of the stuff but I hope to get some input and recommendations  from you guys and here of your experiences with up to date hardware as well as your experience with it.

Thanks a lot!

Balge

Hi Guys, a small Update. I just ordert the parts for the new Machine.
It cost quite a bit more than I planed for at first but I had the money and its for the only "expensive" hobby I have.
I probably wouldn't have gone ahead If my girlfriend didn't encourage me to spend the money on the new machine. Now I'm going to brew a nice cup of tea and try to calm my nerves a bit.

Thanks a lot Klaiber.
I already ordered the Parts so its already too late😅
I actually work in IT but if I have to work with hardware its mostly server stuff. I only really bother with consumer or gaming hardware when I want to upgrade (or when something new and exiting is getting released). For me it was mostly a cost vs. performance decision. I talked about my thoughts concerning cost vs performance with my girlfriend and she encouraged me to get what I wanted as long as I could afford it. We had a pretty heart warming talk where she advised me to not listen to the part of me that is trying to tell me that I'm not worth what I really want.
The more I think about that conversation the more I think that the second big thing I spend money on this year should be an engagement ring. And a VR Headset of course🤣

Hi Guys,

the new PC has arrived and I was  able to test ist out for the first time last Friday.
Because I made my intention to get a new computer quite public I thought I would share my experiences and the performance improvement I got.
With my old rig I used to get 35-45 FPS with some settings on high and most on medium, no SSAA and Forest visibility, Clutter, forest Detail etc. significantly reduced.
With the new Rig and approximatly the same Settings I'm getting around 200 FPS.
Right now I am able to use the highest settings possible and still get 65 FPS (with SSAA set to 2).
The first time in the sim my jaw dropped because of the performance improvement.
The Specs are:
I7 10700K
RTX 3080TI
32 gigs of Ram
1 x 500 GB M2 SSD for the operating system
1 x 1000 GB M2 for all of the sims.
1 x 500 GB SSD I already had for other games
1 x 1000 GB for miscellaneous data
850 Watt Seasonic Prime Powersupply

I think the next step for me is going to look into VR headsets. I guess the new PC should be powerfull enough to comfortably run DCS in VR.
If anybody has any recomondations concerning VR headsets I would be glad to get some suggestions.

23 hours ago, Balge said:

Hi Guys,

the new PC has arrived and I was  able to test ist out for the first time last Friday.
Because I made my intention to get a new computer quite public I thought I would share my experiences and the performance improvement I got.
With my old rig I used to get 35-45 FPS with some settings on high and most on medium, no SSAA and Forest visibility, Clutter, forest Detail etc. significantly reduced.
With the new Rig and approximatly the same Settings I'm getting around 200 FPS.
Right now I am able to use the highest settings possible and still get 65 FPS (with SSAA set to 2).
The first time in the sim my jaw dropped because of the performance improvement.
The Specs are:
I7 10700K
RTX 3080TI
32 gigs of Ram
1 x 500 GB M2 SSD for the operating system
1 x 1000 GB M2 for all of the sims.
1 x 500 GB SSD I already had for other games
1 x 1000 GB for miscellaneous data
850 Watt Seasonic Prime Powersupply

I think the next step for me is going to look into VR headsets. I guess the new PC should be powerfull enough to comfortably run DCS in VR.
If anybody has any recomondations concerning VR headsets I would be glad to get some suggestions.

Balge,

What Motherboard? Remember to enable XMP in the BIOS for the memory.

S!

Kameraden,

Here is what I built as a second system, lucky that my EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW was fine. I haven't really taken a deep dive onto the system that failed, it's old and doesn't owe me anything.

Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh (best case I've ever worked with), replaced the stock fans with Lian Li SL120's and Lian Li Galahad 240 RGB AIO (not in the picture). Tech note, LED reading lights are the bomb for this type of work.

8oHzZ7x.jpg

Seasonic Focus 80+ Gold, GX-850 watt modular PSU

tnbzePF.jpg

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite, with 500GB & 1TB Gigabyte Aorus NVMe Gen 4 M.2 SSD with solid copper heat sinks & Ryzen 7 5800X processor.

Nt7xYmY.jpg

G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3600 32GB RAM

OaLiPjq.jpg

Enabled LED's on the EVGA GTX 1080 TI FTW and programmed it to change based on temperature. Green to 30-60, Orange for 60-70 & Red if it hits 80 degrees.

5GMufQE.jpg

Turns Red when it closes in on 80 degrees.

C0cjKYR.jpg

Need to clean up the wiring and need a better UPS, went with a standup for the second system since it fit and I'm tired of sitting down all the time.

mMC6GPO.jpg

Updated Pit.

yiNL9zm.jpg

S!

So far on my new build  Auros X570 Ultra  MB,   Ryzen 5600 X, 1TB Aorus NVMe Gen 4 M.2 SSD with solid copper heat sinks ( this SSD Screams ! )  64GB corsair  3600,   right now  waiting on a video card.  My 1070TI took a dump,  got a 970 from a J30 guy that had 2 waiting on some kind of price reduction to get a vid card.  I can't justify paying more for the video card than the rest of the system.  Case is a CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO  Lan Box

@Lipfert Thats a really nice looking Build! I alway go with Fractal Define R5 cases. Its a nice case to build with, has dust filters and sound insulation, is understated but still good looking and has no windows. I'm not big on RGB lighting and it has the benefit that I don't have to worry about cable management that much. Plus the pc is integrated in my rig and has its place behind the monitors. So I wouldn't be able to see it anyhow and the lighting might actually be distracting. But I'm really amazed by a good looking build you where able to achieve.

@Wittmann I can really understand your reasoning for not getting a new graphics card. The card was about half of the cost of my build but since I have been planing to upgrade for over a year I decided to just go for it now while cards are actually available from trustworthy distributors.

8 hours ago, Balge said:

@Lipfert Thats a really nice looking Build! I alway go with Fractal Define R5 cases. Its a nice case to build with, has dust filters and sound insulation, is understated but still good looking and has no windows. I'm not big on RGB lighting and it has the benefit that I don't have to worry about cable management that much. Plus the pc is integrated in my rig and has its place behind the monitors. So I wouldn't be able to see it anyhow and the lighting might actually be distracting. But I'm really amazed by a good looking build you where able to achieve.

@Wittmann I can really understand your reasoning for not getting a new graphics card. The card was about half of the cost of my build but since I have been planing to upgrade for over a year I decided to just go for it now while cards are actually available from trustworthy distributors.

Balge I don't normally do RGB, but this build was just for fun and although it looks complicated it was really easy. We are very lucky now, so many great choices of cases and they really are fantastically well thought out.

S!