Rules questions FIF Fall 2021

Vonrd

I see these in the "Primary Target" category (basically the same for Entente):

1. Destroy Entente train [target of opportunity]
  2. Destroy On-Road Entente Convoy [target of opportunity]

Since these are listed as Primary targets, are they only to be attacked by Bombers? 

HI Vonrd, 

Good question.  From the Rules:

On 1/12/2020 at 3:08 PM, Klaiber said:

Bombing and Specialized Aircraft Rules:

Within the IL-2 Sturmovik: Flying Circus game, every aircraft that can carry a bomb may use it on any target found on the server.  In other words, if you can carry a bomb, you can use it.  This is not just limited to two-seaters and includes scout aircraft.

This is a departure from past events, where only designated bombers could attack specific targets.

So, you can strafe them or bomb them with anything.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have a question regarding the no-parachutes on Entente aircraft within the dead-is-dead style of our tourney. Say we bailed clean out of an aircraft and are in freefall. Are Entente pilots allowed to finish mission and thus preserve their lives or are they expected to die with honor? I feel like we should have a consensus on this before our next session and I probably should have asked this before Saturday's session. 

I saw the initial discussion about that - you posted in the FIF Discord - and thought it was a really interesting question. I ruminated on it for a bit and came up with a personal conclusion that may not be specifically addressed/is a gray area in the rules.

1.) We're trying to "Simulate" an actual combat - Entente pilots bailing was a death sentence IRL.
2.) There will be 4 missions, two of which the enemy team will also have to deal with the same issue.
3.) I am personally against chute-killing both in real life and in the simulator, so it won't "Be even" if we take it into our own hands that way, like I've seen some suggest on the FiF comments on Discord.

Personally I'm at the point where I can accept dying assuming the other team accepts us using the chute when we swap to the Central Powers side. We'll have to see how it plays out but the way the rules are worded I believe leaving to save the pilot would be a punishable exploitation of an in-game mechanic. 

11 hours ago, TedsOnMeds said:

3.) I am personally against chute-killing both in real life and in the simulator, so it won't "Be even" if we take it into our own hands that way, like I've seen some suggest on the FiF comments on Discord.

To be clear... I'm not condoning chute shooting, nor suggesting it, but I will understand it in a DID campaign. l expect that there will be "war crimes" committed by both sides. ;)

I think that the simplest thing (especially since the chutes exist only for one side) is to "Just Say No" to 'chute shooting. When it happens, it turns into a heated debate that has no solution. I really hope that it doesn't become an issue.

I will probably refrain from bailing out once we switch to German side.

In general I have no issue that only German Side has the chutes available, as we are anyhow switching sides... So every team has the chance to use this advantage in their session in the respective strategy for each side...

The only question I have: When you bail out on enemy side and end the mission while hanging on the parachute, will the system recognice you "captured" anyhow?

Well, I think that is the case when I remember such situations from WW2 scenarios correctly, but I am not totally sure, so maybe someone can confirm this?

Another side note: Theoretically I would like the idea to extend the re-flight penalty after bailing out at least to 10 minutes, just to consider the additional time you would need from the plane to the ground when hanging on the chute. But practically I think that rule would simply not be executable with reasonable efforts.

What also shall not be forgotten in that topic: In FiF the planes are not replennished during the mission, so if you bail out you loose your plane, thus meaning there is anyhow allways an incentive to fight as long as possible to make it back to an active field for repairing and saving the planing....

7 hours ago, Etzel said:

The only question I have: When you bail out on enemy side and end the mission while hanging on the parachute, will the system recognice you "captured" anyhow?

It should.  At least, it's supposed to.

7 hours ago, Etzel said:

Another side note: Theoretically I would like the idea to extend the re-flight penalty after bailing out at least to 10 minutes, just to consider the additional time you would need from the plane to the ground when hanging on the chute. But practically I think that rule would simply not be executable with reasonable efforts.

Right now, the refly times are "honor rules."  Meaning, the server can't enforce them.  People are supposed to police themselves and their teammates.  So, it would be hard to enforce a 5 minute refly for landing/crashing/disco and a 10 minute refly for bailing.  However, if we could enforce it, what you're proposing is what Butzzell and I would probably want.

We've tried adding in a server-controlled refly system to automatically handle things, and it works.  However, doing so would eliminate the possibility of dead pilots acting as gunners, as it would autokick them when they entered a slot. :(

Honestly, IL-2 needs to work on this and make these server-side controls more robust.

7 hours ago, Etzel said:

What also shall not be forgotten in that topic: In FiF the planes are not replennished during the mission, so if you bail out you loose your plane, thus meaning there is anyhow allways an incentive to fight as long as possible to make it back to an active field for repairing and saving the planing....

That's a good point.  Attrition is a real thing in FIF.

6 hours ago, Klaiber said:

Honestly, IL-2 needs to work on this and make these server-side controls more robust.

As I said already after the mission: I really appreciate the efforts 1GCS is investing in the game at all, but the fact they invest recources in "features" like "new models for british paratroopers" instead of implementing such server configuration options or the possibility to log mission types like recons, cargo delivery missions or partrooper droping is still not comprehensible to me.... 🙄