Now here's an idea...

Flyboy

I got to train Andy Allen a 3 time shuttle pilot in his new jet and when he came back for recurrent a year later this came up.

Fly a Starfighter – F-104 Flight Training is Now Available to Licensed, Qualified Pilots, at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida

He lived almost across the street from the place in Florida. Then, it was $20,000 for 4, 1 hour training flights. I asked him if he flew the 104 and Edwards and he said no... but of course he always wanted to do so. I asked him, "Is this something we need to go do?" and he pulled on his chin and said.... yeah, I will go do that with you! We were getting set to schedule and the damn pandemic thing came along and they shut down.  NOW... it is $40,000   they doubled the cost. He came through a couple of months ago and we talked about it again and said nah....  too much dough this time. 

10 hours ago, Jaus said:

There was an outfit called Sky Warriors about 20 years ago that flew T-34s which I thought would be very cool.   As I recall, before I could get to Atlanta to do it, a tragic accident shut them down.

Is that the accident where the wing came off during maneuvers? Two pilots from our company were sent to do upset training they were to take back for our sim training and sadly one of them was in the airplane maneuvering when the wing came off.

There was more than one of those accidents when this became popular. Too much PC stick time and the "instructors" were low time CFIs that didn't keep control on their student and they hauled back and bent or broke the airplane. There is an F-4 in Houston owned privately by 4 captains (AA + SWA) and they let Steve Ritchie fly their jet and he bent it. It isn't hard to do. 

Duke Cunningham was part of one of the southern California groups that started up back in the 80's I think it was Air Combat.  They had some guys here in DFW that took an actual cockpit section from an F-4 and and I think an A-4 and made a crude gimbal to hold it so it would rock back and forth (roll) about 10° and pitch (jerk) about 5° and they put a screen in front of with a rear projection and put up pictures of Russian planes. This was essentially the most expensive version of the fiberglass horsie outside a Woolworths you ever saw. I don't remember the cost but it was way over priced. They put the guys in a nomex flight suit and gave them a helmet. Nothing worked, I think the F-4 they could light up the instrument panel and that was about it. They would take a picture of them (pre digital photography) and assign them a "callsign" and a briefing and de-briefing... the whole experience. Sheeeesh. 

This was also when US Navy fighters was about the most sophisticated PC flight sim available. "Dave and Busters" in Detroit had a commercial group that setup a 9 computer LAN with USNfighters on it and it was on free-for-all mode and used all CH products which were almost indestructible. It was fine for guys that had never seen a flight sim before, they didn't even know how to retract the gear and there was always some guy that had the game at home on his PC and would get in there and slaughter the sheep. 

I always wondered if they were legally using that game....  hmmm.......  doubt it. Do it till you get caught, sell off the computers and maybe come out ahead. 

On 12/24/2022 at 10:59 PM, Flyboy said:

Is that the accident where the wing came off during maneuvers? Two pilots from our company were sent to do upset training they were to take back for our sim training and sadly one of them was in the airplane maneuvering when the wing came off.

I think so.    https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/1999/march/06/faa-restricts-t-34-ops-after-wing-failure