Cockpit picture BOx / FC

Vonrd

Old RoF info.  Please excuse the coffee stains....😏

scan0001.jpg

scan.jpg

There's technical limits, and then there's practical limits.  I'd keep it 100 RPM below the stated limits at all times.  Like with the German water-cooled tachs, you can't see above 1600 as everybody knows, even though technically you can exceed that a little bit.  They were smart to make the tach end at 100 RPM below that, really.  And like Larner said, the practical limit for a Dr.1 is basically 1400 RPM, although you can also go above that a bit.  Do it for too long and it's going to get damaged.

Going over doesn't increase the speed significantly, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my completed cockpit info photos for WWII in a zip file. Either extract to your main game folder - C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad or into a temp folder then paste it over.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fespqr0650h45pf/AADzzvXIdrI7UgaKGnGOnLU4a?dl=0

Cockpit info photo.jpg

On 10/28/2019 at 1:49 AM, Vonrd said:

Here are my completed cockpit info photos for WWII in a zip file. Either extract to your main game folder - C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad or into a temp folder then paste it over.

@Vonrd ,what are those "[plane]_B" files in the "textures" folders?  Have they always been there?

I haven't tried them yet.... maybe later today.  However, when I extracted it (to a folder on my desktop), the file path structure was whacky. First extract all had more zip files inside of that, which needed further extraction; and I think a data folder inside another data folder. Anyway, I just got to the individual "plane" folders, selected them all, and then pasted them in the correct place, overwriting.  I don't know why the self extraction ends up looking that way for me; it has happened before. Maybe Dropbox is zipping up something that's already been zipped?  In my case, I just use Windows to extract, and use the direct download option at Dropbox.

Maybe this has nothing to do with Etzel's problem; if not, apologies.

Sorry guys, I have no idea what's going on. I just extracted the zip file and everything looks fine to me. I have gotten rid of the zip file in Dropbox and just made it a direct, uncompressed file structure. It should be... for the A20 as an example:

C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics\Planes\A20B\Textures\custom_photo.dds  (or starting from wherever your game is installed... I'm not sure how the Steam version works).

Etzel, it looks like you somehow have the game's default normalmap renamed to "custom_photo.dds" (it should be "A20B_B.dds") and I don't know how that could have happened since the zip file didn't have the normalmap in it.

No, that part has nothing to do with your zip file, as the files out of your zip were simply added to the already existing default ones, so after extraction there were 2 dds files in every folder. 

What I did (for all folders up to the FW-190ies so far) was to rename the default photo to "custom_photo_orig.dds" (for "original") and renamed your names (e.g. A20B_B.dds) to "custom_photo.dds" as the game won't recognice any other file... maybe the issue is, that the other file still has the part "custom_photo" in the file-name..?? 

Or maybe is only 1 dds file per plane-texture-folder allowed (no matter which name it has)...??? 

Questions over Questions... 🤔

But never mind, I will try later to fix it with trial and error on my own ... 😉

The files with the "_B" as in "A20B_B" should NOT be renamed ... the _B files are the "normalmap" which are used to give the planes the illusion of detailed texture... There should be no files with the "_B" in my download. If there are, I don't know how they got there and I don't see them when I checked the download.

Here's an explanation of what they do:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mapping

The "checklist photos in my download are already named "custom_photo.dds"  and will overwrite the BOS stock pinup photos unless the stock photos are renamed or backed up somewhere else.

Well, finally everything works fine.... I just used the repair feature for Il2 in Steam and all texture folders were reset, then I took over the files from your zip-archive and now I have all normalmaps back AND I have your custom notes... tested them in 3 different planes now and they are great!!!!

Many thanks Von!  🤩

Regarding the effect of the normalmaps: Of course now I can confirm there is some difference; hard to describe ... it's just the tick of immersion somehow. But good to know that playing without them doesn't have any severe impact 😉 

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, loopy said:

@Vonrd, found out why i was not seeing the picture in cockpit, on plane setup where you pick personal weapon i had no  photo selected, had to be a setting somewhere.

Wow... I didn't realize there was that selection in personal weapons (and why it should be in that category... baffling). Glad you got it sussed.