FiF Winter 2020

Butzzell

S! All

FIF  2020 vision for the future.

We are transitioning to Flying Circus with the expectation that Volume 2 will be announced shortly. At this point we are in the final steps of setting the planes in such a way as to create a variety that will last through the year. Obviously two seater variety will present some difficulties. The Rules, map and objectives areas on the FiF forums is being updated over this next week. We are examining the repair rearm feature and seeing how it can be utilized within the objective of limited planes.

Flying Circus has many features besides an improved FM/DM and AI. Likewise some objects behave a bit differently. There are a few changes some are visual and some are game mechanics. During this period we will be looking for feedback on target difficulty and defense.

The map is very different. In the past we have had multiple Icons for targets and you had to know which one was active. All icons on the map are active targets. The HQ and trains are the only objectives without Icons. When targets are killed there are few to no subtitles and the target icon is removed from the map. Secondary targets are usually announced once and then have an icon placed on the map.

There is no A B map. It is all one map.   There are certain targets That are common to A  and others assigned to B.   There are several targets that are A B or C. Actually they are 1 out of 3 random:  Arty spot, General, Spy, HQ recon,  Trench recon,  Trench attack and Off road convoy.  Reserve unit and all other secondaries are 1 out of 4.

The hope is for enough random that we do not need to force an actual A or B map. Every Icon on the map is a live target. The only target not on the map is the Train. In the future with better maps, the ship will not have an Icon and be moving on a river. There are no hospitals on the map. Their icons appear only when the enemy ace is dead. Same thing with secondaries. Because the A ans b maps are combined you will recognize many objects as targets. Be sure you are destroying an active target. Compare your position on the map with what you think is a target. Most targets are spread out in a specific pattern so that you should not get confused but things do happen and people get lost.

There is no FLAK fence. Machine guns run along the trenches and have large spaces between the groups. They almost reach as high as 5000 ft. So you have friendly machine guns along your own trenches. There are still some FLAK guns along the front, They act more as spotters. They are no where near as dangerous as the ROF FLAK guns.

map.thumb.jpg.d64facfd7d087ca6516b05e54736947e.jpg

We now have 29 possible objectives. The bombing targets are easy to kill but because of the MGs protecting then, they are difficult to get away from without taking damage. With so many objectives it is hoped that bombers will have to make several trips to rearm. This should increase the opportunity for combat,  :)

The new objective  Information, mission descriptions and other info will be updated over this next week on the FiF siteWe are planning for "Dry run" on 25 of January with the first official session on the first of February.

For now, the JG1 Server is running a special practice version. The mission starts at 11:45 and runs for 2 hours 15 minutes. To restart the mission you can kill a balloon at the two seater base. There is one special feature. To help people do the two seater missions there is an enemy base on the wrong side of the map. This provides air start locations so people do not spend 15 minutes just to get to the rear of the enemy area.

ty

will check. I thought it might be a missing media file but that looks correct. 

Please make sure your data folder and SWF folder are not write protected. There have been some problems with Win 10.  A black square inside a check box means a partial execution of that parameter.

Checked again. I removed all fif files from my dogfight folder so that it would need to download the files from the server and it worked OK.

Not sure what is up.

On 1/16/2020 at 9:58 PM, J30<>Reinamann said:

Received error message #10016 : can not save file to disk

Having the same problem, tried just 5 minutes ago...

J5 server had this issue too in last Oct and it had something to do with the sound files, according to an answer by Matthias it was connected to some custom sound files:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/42199-jasta-5-server-flugpark-new-year-new-work/?do=findComment&comment=834618

s! ALL

This is a file structure problem.  When using sound files may be pulled from a folder labeled "externalmedia". This was built into the RoF file structure but is missing in Il2 Great Battles. When the game tries to download files it looks for the externalmedia folder. If you do not have one you get an error.

You need to go into data/swf/externalmedia. If you do not have an externalmedia folder just create a folder inside the swf folder and name it externalmedia.

10 hours ago, J30<>Reinamann said:

Is this file structure just a Win 7 problem ?

Or does it happen with Win 10 also ?

I have Windows 10 with all the most recent updates.

I had not tried to get on the FiF server recently.  Before I did, I checked my game folders for the required structure.  My swf folder did NOT have the required "externalmedia" folder in it.  I left it as it was, without the folder, and tried to enter the FiF server, to see if the game would create one for me.  I got the 10016 error.  I exited the game, and went back into the game files and created the required "externalmedia" folder manually.  Obviously, it was empty.

Then I restarted the game and joined the FiF server without any problem.  I then exited the server and re-checked my the game file structure.  Inside the "externalmedia" folder was a single file called "church bells.mp3".

The real question is how did Snaggle and possibly others end up with the folder already there?  My guess is that server may cause the game to correctly create that folder, if it did not previously exist; but for some people the game folders may have some level of write protection enabled due to their Windows attributes or properties.  I don't have any virus protection programs, other than what is included with Windows.

It appears this is going to be a widespread problem.  We REALLY need to make sure we get the word out to EVERYBODY that is going to participate in FiF, or there are going to be a lot of P.O'd people.  I'm also afraid there are going to be at least some people who do not have the skills to correct the problem easily.

EDIT:

I checked the link that Etzel provided concerning J5's solution to that problem.  Confusingly he referred to a different folder:   ....\data\swf\il2\storage  .  In any case, he also advised to make sure that data path attributes were not "read only".  Well, I'm pretty sure that if that was the ultimate problem, if you changed the attributes of the "swf" folder so it was not read-only, and then when asked, told it to apply that also to all subsidiary folders and files, that it would work.  However:

His ultimate solution was to just get rid of those sound files from the mission file.  If the "church bells.mp3" file is not absolutely needed, that might be the best solution to prevent a lot of trouble later.

41 minutes ago, Butzzell said:

Up until now this has been a transparent feature of the game. If you go to your RoF externalmedia folder it is probably full of all kinds of sounds and images.

Not really....

Untitled.jpg

I don't have that folder in RoF either.  Although the difference may very well be that it would create itself without a problem, if it needed to.  Maybe.

17 hours ago, Butzzell said:

s! ALL

This is a file structure problem.  When using sound files may be pulled from a folder labeled "externalmedia". This was built into the RoF file structure but is missing in Il2 Great Battles. When the game tries to download files it looks for the externalmedia folder. If you do not have one you get an error.

You need to go into data/swf/externalmedia. If you do not have an externalmedia folder just create a folder inside the swf folder and name it externalmedia.

Just read your post, has this been reported to the game developers

I created an  externalmedia folder within the swf folder.

Restarted my computer.

Tried to enter the fif winter 2020 practice 2 server.

the "loading please wait " screen appears.

after a few seconds pass, I am kicked back to the Coop / Dogfight page.

I check my computer for the externalmedia folder. This folder has one line item "church bells".

I restarted my computer again and then the FC game and then tried to reenter the FIF server. The same result, kicked to coop/dogfight page.

Another J30 member tried this method as well with the same exact results.

Both of us use Win7 x64.

Same here... 

I created the folder \IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\swf\externalmedia\ and the result is the same like for Reinamann: I get no error code any more and the loading screen shows up, but then I am kicked back to the Coop / Dogfight page (without any message). 

I'm on Windows 10...

S! All

Having a few problems this week with the JG1  server this week.    I may have overloaded the Flanders in Flames program. I am looking through it for mistakes. Not sure what is up because it runs fine on my machine at home.  last resort will be to reinstall IL2 on the server.

Either way we should be good for Thursday night fly in.

Salute Butzzell,

I took a look in the FIF 2020 registered pilots spreadsheet

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltdnqeaajz5gs18/FIF2020_registered.xlsx?dl=0

and I see that some J2 pilots are mentioned that are not flying any longer.

So please remove from the Blue team list the following names:

J2_Mr. Tree, J2_Marx, J2_Andrew, J2_PikeStance, J2_Rossco, J2_Nader

S! All

The Thursday fly in went well. We had over 30 people on line. I did see one plane rubber banding.

Saturday we will have the "Dry Run".      

No death penalty.     Re arm re fuel  is available.    Need to hear feedback  if that feature is worth it. If it takes too long?

Practice map will be up.

I'm hoping to make it for at least part of the dry run, but can't be sure ... our state of emergency is scheduled to be lifted tomorrow, which means that a show I'm working on will be going ahead, and I'm not sure how much work I'll have to do tomorrow afternoon; a last-minute change in availability on the production team means that I suddenly got landed with a load of extra stuff.  I won't know exactly what I'm going to have to do until after I meet with the director tomorrow morning.  But I'll be there if I can!

S!

Maus