the 3rd P.G. Skinpack....VERSION 2.0!

DeFreest Larner

Afternoon, all! 

I'm proud to finally be able to publicly release the Third Pursuit Group's NEW AND IMPROVED skin pack! Featuring a mix of 25 historical skins and  the new US93 / US103 SPADs have a whole host of aesthetic improvements and are looking better than ever! 

The first release here will be the CORE skin-pack, which has the personal skins as well as a good chunk of the historical 103rd and 93rd aero squadron aircraft. I hope in future to release a second pack with the rest of the 103rd / 93rd, as well as the historical 28th and 213th aero squadron skins! 

Note: These skins are intended to fully replace the old 3rd P.G skins (both historical and fictional). Please feel free to delete the old 3rd Pursuit Group skins (both fictional and historical). Our historical squadrons are the 28th, 93rd, 103rd and 213th - just so you know which ones to get rid of! 

More info on the historical research and work put into these skins can be found Here!

DOWNLOAD HERE (Readme is there for 3PG pilots)

Markings and insignia of the Third Pursuit Group explained in the spoiler below: 

Spoiler

Tying in with our historical RP approach, our skin policy is based on the historical order on the marking of USAS aircraft!

1. Basic Squadron Markings. 

a. 103rd 

The 103rd's insignia is a Sioux Indian head wearing a War Bonnett. Personal numbers are painted in Chrome Yellow, with Black shadowing. The Squadron wing recognition strip is a green band with TWO red stripes. 

b. 93rd 
The 93rd's insignia is an Indian head against a blue moon. Personal numbers are painted in White, with Red trim. The Squadron wing recognition strip is a green band with THREE red stripes. 

2. Flight Markings

machines of 1st Flight have Red nose cowlings. Machines of 2nd Flight have White nose cowlings. Machines of 3rd Flight have Blue nose cowlings. Some aircraft of the 93rd have their noses outlined in white trim. 

3. Squadron / Group C.O. Markings
Squadron C.O. aircraft are typically numbered with the squadron's first number in sequence, and will carry a tricolour band of red, white and blue running from the foot of the rudder post to the headrest. Robert Soubiran's C.O. machine carries a red 'S' in lieu of a personal number. Group and higher organisation pilots may mark their machines as they see fit. 

4. Personal Pilot Insignia & Markings.
Personal insignia, such as emblems, names or legends, are painted forwards of the cockpit and are only available to pilots with three victories in one v-life. Some pilots may bear small unique markings on their aircraft, such as coloured tail fins, wheel covers, or elevators. 

5. Victory Marks
Machines of the 103rd bear no 'victory marks'. Machines of the 93rd may display one victory mark on their squadron insignia's tooth necklace for every 10 victories scored in their highest-scoring v-life. Pilots may display bullet patches with the national mark of the aircraft they received damage from. 

L8xk0KCh.jpg
ASceSjCh.jpg
gE4YVO6h.jpg16yPTiTh.jpg

5 hours ago, GenMarkof007 said:

Did you do the new skins in 2K or only in 4K?
I try to have only 2K skins for FC!

The skins have to be in 4K in order to get all the details to come out right! (Factory tags / stencils, bullet patches, US93 victory marks, etc etc). The 'factory paint' and roundels also look nicer when you can see all the little paintbrush strokes ;) 

You should be able to resize them to 2K if the file name stays the same though! 

Just want to check about resizing ... I'm pretty ignorant about skins!  I see that I can open the .dds file in an image editor like paint.net, and then there's an Image > Resize option where I can choose 'By Percentage' -- will that work?  Presumably I enter 50%?

S!

Maus

Didn't know where to share this, so I thought I'd lump it in with this thread. Just a video of the process I use to 'recreate' the 103d's famous 'Sioux' insignia! This particular one comes from Charles J. Biddle's SPAD XIII - the first in USAS Service! 

I thought I'd share as I find it oddly relaxing to watch ;) No music, so put your favourite tune on! 

• 5 months later...

you did a great job! great painting! 

I've been illustrating and designing with a drawing tablet for more than a decade. When my Wacom broke a few years back, I switched to the MUCH cheaper XP-PEN graphic drawing tablet and haven't looked back. They're only like $50 versus $250+. So at that price point it's a lot easier to try out and see if it's for you. 

So much more natural to draw on a tablet and your infinitely faster and more accurate with even simple menu/navigation functions. (I'll still use it just during file management for speed and comfort.) Hope this helps.