New PC Inbound!

Shadepiece

Just picked up an i7-12700k on sale at Best Buy yesterday. Decided that it was now or never to pull the trigger on the big upgrade! This is in preparation for VR later this year.

Had to get a new motherboard to fit the new CPU, and needed to jump up to 32GB of RAM. After some heat issues in my current build I am going for an All-in-one liquid cooler from Corsair, and with how big DCS is getting I picked up a new M.2 drive solely for DCS.

I think this set up will get me DCS VR ready! It'll probably be a while before I grab the headset, but I am going to enjoy the improved performance until then!

New Parts!

-Corsair H100X AIO 240mm liquid cooler

-Intel i7-12700k LGA 1700

-WD 1TB M.2 drive

-Ripjaws DDR4 4000mhz 32GB

-Asus H670 Prime D4 mobo

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am officially up and running with the new build. Everything is awesome for the most part. I cannot seem to get my RAM to stay stable at anything over 3100mhz though... As they are rated for 4000mhz, and the mobo can handle DDR5 at 5000+mhz I feel like I should be able to get more out of the RAM. The CPU is running nicely with good temps at 5Ghz though, so definitely seeing better performance in DCS.

Drive cloning was a real pain, but I feel like I am a damn expert now. M.2 drive is wildly fast, so it was well worth it. Ought to be able to clear out some old files, and make a lot of room for games and recording files.

Any ideas on what the RAM issue might be?

On 5/1/2022 at 11:10 AM, Moxy said:

memtest86...is a ram stress tester program.

Shade are you XMP'ing, or manually  OC'ing to 4000?  XMP should be stable. Are you Blue Screen'ing?

(Just went through a mess with my rig, NO BSOD...equaled PSU)

XMP won't even post!! That why I am confused. I set XMP 1, but then manually slowed the RAM to 3000mhz. I will checkout meanest though! 

If your xmp'ing, you shouldn't, be able to manually adjust timings.. (bios would over ride to xmp profile?)

You could Run the built in windows memory test, for a faster test than mem test. Yes you could have a bad stix.

But the aspect that your under clocking to post is wacked.  Default Bios, with xmp should post!

I keep thinking the cpu to mem strap. If your manually adjusting the mem timings, that strap ratio could muck things up

Default Bios, 1 stix, a/b test xmp, then the other stix

Every thing is an a/b test, pain in the ars

Hope you win

Mox

On 5/3/2022 at 11:41 PM, Moxy said:

If your xmp'ing, you shouldn't, be able to manually adjust timings.. (bios would over ride to xmp profile?)

You could Run the built in windows memory test, for a faster test than mem test. Yes you could have a bad stix.

But the aspect that your under clocking to post is wacked.  Default Bios, with xmp should post!

I keep thinking the cpu to mem strap. If your manually adjusting the mem timings, that strap ratio could muck things up

Default Bios, 1 stix, a/b test xmp, then the other stix

Every thing is an a/b test, pain in the ars

Hope you win

Mox

Do what Mox says, plus when you pull each stick double check and make sure it's the same (they may have grab the wrong one in error).

S!