Recent Win10 Update

IRFC Hawkeye

All, recently I got a BIG update for Win10.  I could tell something was unusual because it took a really long time, almost like an initial Windows installation, and restart multiple times before it was done.  After it was completed, I could see differences in the way things looked in the Windows start menu, and other places.  It was like what they used to call a service pack, but it never really explained what the purpose was.

Now when I play RoF, everything runs completely normally, except when I quit the game.  Then I get a completely blank screen and can't do anything....no cursor, no ctrl-alt-del menu, no alt-tab, nothing.  There is no choice but to bomb and force it off, then reboot.  Everything comes up normally, and the game runs normally again, until I go to quit.  This has happened every time I've run the game since the update....which is only twice.  The first time I thought it was a fluke, but now I see it's going to do it every time.

I tried to look at my update history to see if I could roll it back to before the update.  Unfortunately there isn't a single update listed now, because it seems like it started from square one since the big update....again making it seem like a whole new Windows installation.

I checked to see what the latest updates available were on my other computer.  It seems there's a thing called the Windows 10 anniversary edition, or something to that effect.  It's something they'll force on everybody eventually, but they don't do these things all at once anymore.  You can make it do the update, if you for some reason wanted to.  I guess I'm just "lucky" to have been chosen to get it earlier than most on my main machine.

Beware of this update!

I don't have time to deal with it right now, and I'm not sure what I should do.  I'm afraid my latest image was AFTER the update, but I'm not sure.  I might try to recover RoF to see it that fixes anything, but I hate to lose all my settings.

Just wanted to make you aware and to be careful.  It did not ASK if I wanted the update, it just chose to do it, and when I started my computer one day it went through all the big changes before I could do anything about it.

Take care-     :unsure:

All,

Here is how you can control updates on your Windows 10 PC with the advent of this new major update coming out.

http://www.redmondpie.com/disable-turn-off-automatic-updates-in-windows-10-heres-how/

Sorry Luftritter

I chose method 3

This is provided purely for your entertainment no warranty is provided or implied use at you own risk.

S!

OK, I think I've found some answers.

First, there's apparently a lot more to this Windows 10 update than I had realized.  I did a video driver update, no help.  I did an RoF recovery, no help.

But after the recovery, I started the game and it came up not full screen and a smaller resolution, because I hadn't set up my game settings yet.  Then I saw this little green notification bar come up inside the game main screen.  Only thing was, it was a Windows thing; nothing to do with the game.  It said "to take a screen shot, push "Win + G".  First thing I noticed was that the game shut down OK, since it wasn't full screen.  So I went into the  RoF settings and set up everything as it had been before (including "Fullscreen mode").  Again the game wouldn't shut down properly, black screen.  So I went back into settings and left all of them the same, but left "Fullscreen mode" unchecked.  Restarted game, and with resolution set to it's original optimal settings, it came up looking just like regular full screen as before; I couldn't see any difference.  Only now when I quit, it quit normally.

If you get this update, leave the "Fullscreen mode" setting unchecked in the "Graphics" tab of the settings!

Now for this "Windows + G" key thing.....

Somehow Windows, with this update, has added functionality that works INSIDE the game (not just this game, I'm sure). You can take screen shots, videos, record sound, all as a part of Windows.  And it has some connection to X-box too, but I didn't look into that because I'm not set up there and didn't want to spend the time.  Anyway I think recording videos in the conventional manner (outside the game, with sound, etc.) might be easier or better, but at the very least is definitely an integral part of Windows now, after the upgrade.  Who knows, ye gaming video makers may actually see this as an advantage..... 

One thing I have to admit, in troubleshooting this, I had to bomb out of the operating system multiple times because as things were, there was nothing else you could do when the problem occurred.  Upon reboot nothing was corrupted and Win 10 hardly missed a beat.  It seems to recover very well or be immune to problems from improper shutdowns.

I haven't tried playing the game yet with the "Fullscreen mode" setting unchecked.  I doubt it will have any noticeable effect but I'll let you know when I get a chance to play again. For now, fiddling around setting up a new cell phone (Nexus 6P).

S!

Thanks for the heads up. I did the recent update.  I had the same black screen on game exit. Unclick full screen did it.

I also spent 2 hours removing the new apps.

took a while but I got rid of the Xbox crap.

They are creeping forward to total control. They want you to buy games, movies and music and place it on your cloud storage area. Eventually you will run out of storage but can increase it for a small fee. The final version is total integration of screens, tablets, phones, watches and automobiles into a completely connected network. These devices will be terminals for your programs and personal items in the cloud. There will be no personal computers. The actual computation will be done in the cloud.  no more upgrades, no more video cards. All your devices will merely be terminals.

There was an overlay program that converted the smart phone app look of win 10 into a stock win 7 look. Naturally it no longer works with the update.

The basic internal workings of the computer are now hidden.  There is no fully functional control panel access button. "Setting"  is really an app availability area.  I think this is to keep young people from screwing up their system.

Welcome to the future.  We are at the mercy of machines created by smart people in the past and have become dependent on the machines. The machine is so complex that we can not understand it?  I don't think so.  

This attempt to herd us like sheep will not go unchallenged !!!

Glad it helped Fred!

Guess if you guys find problems with your other flight sims or games, this might be a good place to post about it!

BTW, I haven't had any problem playing the game in SP mode (online).  Haven't been into MMP yet.

Fred, what apps did you get rid of, and how hard to do was it?

I go to settings, system, apps.

That brings up a list of apps Looks like the old list of programs and features BUT it is not a complete list.. Click on an app and it will expand to give you an uninstall option. 

Sounds easy. If the app has Microsoft in the name, you can not uninstall. It goes to another screen where all you can do is a reset.

To get rid of Microsoft apps, you have to go into a C-shell command window in administrator mode. Then you type in or paste in the command to get rid of the app.

Each app has a special command. best to look up on google about how to remove a specific Microsoft app.

All,

Here is how you can control updates on your Windows 10 PC with the advent of this new major update coming out.

Sorry Luftritter

I chose method 3

This is provided purely for your entertainment no warranty is provided or implied use at you own risk.

S!

Was there supposed to be a link in that, Snaggle?

As for controlling updates, I had from the beginning set my machine to never change drivers.  But I didn't think you could stop the actual updates for Win10.....

Was there supposed to be a link in that, Snaggle?

As for controlling updates, I had from the beginning set my machine to never change drivers.  But I didn't think you could stop the actual updates for Win10.....

Sorry updated the original post.

S!

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately when I unchecked "full screen" I ended up with other issues (alt tab no longer worked). After fooling around with the system over the weekend I came up with a fix that worked for me.

I went to the startup icon for ROF and right clicked/ properties/ compatibility/ run as windows 7. This resolved all of the issues I was having and was able to go back to "full screen" with no black screen or lockup.

Just my two cents worth on this subject.

Dutch

Unfortunately when I unchecked "full screen" I ended up with other issues (alt tab no longer worked). After fooling around with the system over the weekend I came up with a fix that worked for me.

I went to the startup icon for ROF and right clicked/ properties/ compatibility/ run as windows 7. This resolved all of the issues I was having and was able to go back to "full screen" with no black screen or lockup.

Just my two cents worth on this subject.

Dutch

It's true Alt-Tab doesn't work anymore (since not running in Full Screen mode). That seems like a lot better fix than the thing I stumbled upon!  Thanks Dutch, definately gonna try that instead!