A sad day for all of us!

IRFC Hawkeye

I just found out that Scott Owens (BH_Osten) has died of a massive heart attack.  He was a member or Black Haze from WAY back in the RB3D days, and if you'll check the historical stats for FiF, you'll see his name in there many, many times.  Scott, along with Dutch, established Black Haze in Rise of Flight.  Only because of both of their personal involvements, I joined Black Haze as my first squadron after flying as a free agent for a long time in Rise of Flight.  Back when my old squadron, Lafayette Escadrille (LE) was disappearing in RB3D, these guys took me in as an ally and we flew with and battled against JG1 to the best of our abilities.  It was always great to be a part of that team, and later in RoF as a member of their sqaudron, when so many new names appeared, the original guys were almost forgotten.  I swear to you, never an angry word directed at another every came out of Scott's mouth; and that's a record few of us can equal.  THAT is how I remember him!

Here is my reply to the message I got:

OMG so hard to believe!  A tear is in my eyes.  He always sounded like he was 20-something on comms;  he was honestly one of the nicest people I've ever flown with, and I've done that since way back in the RB3D days when the BH guys took me in as an ally when the rest of my squadron was disappearing.

This is really a loss to the WWI flight sim community. Scott was an awesome guy and one of the few I was on a first-name basis with.  God be with him!

This is very unexpected news, please join me in remembering Scott, if you had the honor of flying and talking with him.  S! Scott!!  from your old friends!  

This is really awful news, Luft...

I didn't know Osten very well, but I definitely remember talking with him on TeamSpeak.  Both about FIF and ROF in general.  He was a great guy, who I always enjoyed flying with.

Please let me know if the Black Haze plan on doing anything to eulogize him.  JG1 would be more than happy to help plan or coordinate any memorial event.  A missing man formation, for example, would be a great tribute.

And I hope that someone is in contact Osten's family.  They should know how much he meant to all of us.  My prayers and heartfelt condolences.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Rotermann has created a video of BH_Osten's online memorial, which was held on 15 October 2016.

Unfortunately, there is no recording of the eulogies spoken on TeamSpeak.  But I think the video clearly shows how much Osten meant to a lot of us here.

RIP Scott.  You are missed.