• What sims are you currently flying?: A; ROF and IL2 BOS
  • How did you hear about JG1?: A: online search
  • Is there anything else that you'd like us to know?:
  • How often do you fly?
  • to you have scheduled times/ dates
  • how many usually participate?
  • Danke!

Hi Valkyrie,

I realized that I didn't answer your questions regarding times and numbers.

JG1 has around 30+ pilots, spread across Rise of Flight, IL-2 (CloD and BoX), and DCS World.

We meet for Rise of Flight on Mondays and Thursdays at 9PM EST.  IL-2 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 9PM EST.  And DCS on Fridays at 10:30PM EST.

We also have a large group of European members, who fly during CET hours.

Let me know if you have any questions.  We're happy to help.

Valkyrie, although there are some that don't use it, IMHO it's harder without it, and if you can afford it, my advice would be to buy a TIR, which probably costs at least $120.00 now.  Since the early 2000's, I've owned a TIR 3, 4 and now have a 5.  I've never had a failure of any of them at any time.

Once you have it properly set up, it will take you some time to get used to it; but once you do get used to it, you'll wonder how you ever flew without it.

There are plenty of people here who can help you optimize your TIR setup.  Few people ask any questions about TIR, yet it's probably the most important aspect of being a good fighter pilot.  You can't fight what you can't see.  Also, almost everybody I know uses a combination of TIR and some fixed views.  This gives you the best of both worlds, seamlessly.

S!

Thanks so much!.. looking forward to flying with you all. My preference is for ROF but when Flying circus is released, hopefull we'll be throwing ourselves into that!

Thank you for including me in the ranks!

Cheers!

Hi Valkyrie,

Did you get the email that I sent you?  I used the address you signed up to the boards with.

I sent you our code-of-conduct document.  When you get it and read it, just get back to me and we can start your in-processing.

Talk soon!

There are also less expensive head trackers such as Freetrack (it does require some handyman fiddling to make the IR device headset. I know at least one member that uses it. 

Google "headtracking"... here's a list of devices:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3lb2x1/head_tracking_options_roundup/

I can't attest to any of them but TrackIR and agree with Luftritter... I wouldn't fly without it.

• 3 weeks later...

In regards to settings, the best way to set them is to set them for yourself.  Set it up, turn on the game, then sit in the cockpit and make the changes that are comfortable for you.  Either save a default or write down the settings, so you have a base to return to then just mess around with them.  The first time I set mine up, I took a couple of hours, and played around with it until I had some setting that worked for me.  Then later, after I had grown accustomed to it, I revisited the settings and tweaked them a little more.

I always set my head tracking so that if I looked at the top 1/3 of my screen it would be full up.  Same for left/right/down.  This gives good visibility without being too erratic.  It will take some time to adjust and keep your head still when maneuvering and firing but it is well worth it. Works even better with big screens.  I mostly ran a 32" monitor.  Add a little x/y/z if you can to help look around struts and over the side. Should be enough that you can achieve the in game limit of movement without the tracker losing the reflectors but low enough that your head is not flopping around making it harder to look down the guns. 

You may also want to add a very small dead zone in the center of some of the axes if you find the camera is bouncing around too much. It made it easier for me to focus on instruments.

If you plan on using your controls to zoom you can reduce the Z axis to zero. Z is lean forward and back.  Unless you fly DCS then you may want it for finding a pesky switch that is hidden.

Instead of "reducing an axis to zero", you can just uncheck the box for any axis.  The six boxes can be clearly seen in the post above.  I only use the yaw, pitch and tilt axis; then I have the zoom mapped to a 4-way hat on my joystick, right by my thumb.

Whether you use any kind of dead zone in the middle or not, you should try to have your speed set fairly high.  Moving your view around slowly causes everything you see to be blurry while it's in motion, and you won't see small details or far away objects.  Instead, you should "glance" quickly to each section of sky you want to view, the way a bird's head moves.  Stopping at each section keeps everything in focus, then you glance to the next.  This is what your own eyes do, without you ever thinking about it.  To see a great example of TIR used in this way, watch any of Barton's videos.

RoF has a lot of great capabilities for using fixed or saved views in conjunction with TIR.  To see a great example of that, see any of Hotlead's videos.

S!

• 3 weeks later...