Oh, the nostalgia!

I hate Hollywood...   I think every time you buy a movie ticket it should be deductible on your income tax as a donation to the DNC.  I went through training last year with a real F-14 instructor that was at Miramar when they were filming the first one and he didn't have an ax to grind...   said that a few guys got to have some fun that they would not have had otherwise because the movie called for some extra duty flying, and they were all up for that.... also some general stick time without having the same pre-scripted missions, so it was a change of pace.  Said that Cruise and Edwards were OK guys and that Edwards was the only one that didn't hurl out of the whole cast. Did have some really surprising things to say about Kelly McGillis… and if you have seen her lately... you can pretty well project that she won't be appearing in the film... (  OUCH )

On a lighter note....  what a guy... one of my students last week was a Hornet driver for about 8 years... and that crazy goof-ass just got into the USAF Reserves and is going to the A-10....  he has been sending me some pics and I have put him on to the DCS stuff and he was really knocked back by all that. Got a real kick out of the Hornet and showing me all the stuff that has changed...  laughing about  "yeah, I saw that and I knew guys that had that in their jet but they were gone by the time I got in"  

I asked him if the only reason he was going back in and to the hawg was just to get to fire the gun and he said yeah.... pretty much that's it.....

I don't blame him.  I didn't realize that it stabilized the flight controls prior to firing.... wow....  he said the gun in the hornet was really hard to hit, the gun in the A-10 is really hard to miss.

I rarely watch movies even with the convenience of Netflix and a 50" TV in my living room let alone the expense and hassle of going to a theater but as soon as I saw this trailer I turned to my girlfriend and notified her that I *will* be going to see this movie on the day of release.  No questions. 

I'm sure it will have a lot of nostalgia content, because why wouldn't it?  Star Wars Episode VII did and some of that was cool, but I hope the story line and characters are a bit more developed in Top Gun than they were in Star Wars.  I have zero interest in seeing another Star Wars film, ever. 

There is a female pilot in the trailer (for a second) so I'm assuming she's going to have a fairly central role in the film.  I'll assume she's worth her salt but I hope they give her some realistic flaws.  When I was supporting Top Gun in Fallon, NV we had one female Marine student pilot come through and she almost always had trouble trying to get the jet's systems to work on the ground.  Almost every launch she'd have a troubleshooter hook up to walk her through something.  Other pilots some of my friends talked to confirmed that she was a bit clueless on the ground but could fly like hell.  In one simulated battle she bagged an F-16 AND an F-22.    *EDIT: I'm sure that USAF Raptor pilot is still taking flak for being shot down by a female Marine pilot in a Legacy Hornet that is probably older then either of them.*

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...