DCS Screenshot Thread

Britchot

12 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

Has anyone an opinion on refueling using a monitor versus VR?? (in other words, tried it both ways.....

I do it both ways regularly. I hate having the VR hood on my head for a protracted time, it gives me a headache so I rarely use it on "Mission" nights. 

For me its easier in VR in aircraft with offset probes (Harrier & F-14) I guess because of the spatial awareness. Aircraft with the probe mostly aligned with the fuselage (F18, Mirage) I see no benefit being in VR. 

3 hours ago, loopy said:

With the F14 i was having a hard time AAR because the normal view you had next to no reference with the refueler, then i lowered the seat until it would not lower anymore, found that made it easier, no need to go to bomb mode just leave it in auto

I'm in VR, but I'll give this a shot.  Thanks!

On 9/5/2021 at 11:37 AM, Ludwig said:

For me hitting the basket is easy, but maintaining speed is very very difficult, and it should not be. 

That was the problem I was having I finally got good at it by moving the throttle with my fingers. A little tappy tap here and a little tappy tap there. I have a new throttle now and haven't tried refueling with it yet. 

Before my hiatus once when I would AAR, I  attached to the basket briefly get around 1000 to 1500 pounds of fuel. Then I would end up detaching. My second time I would usually stay connected until it was topped off.  I could not fill up in one go.

The Jf-17 is the one I have an issue maintaining speed in AAR.  

Ive pretty well got AAR in the Tomcat licked. 

On 9/5/2021 at 2:09 PM, loopy said:

With the F14 i was having a hard time AAR because the normal view you had next to no reference with the refueler,

That was my issue as well. I felt like I had to have something to line up on. I never tried lowering the seat, but my solution was more of a feeling my way in. I'd line up on the basket & slowly drive in until I connected. 
IMO being properly trimmed out is more important in the Tomcat than any other jet. If you are properly trimmed out as you approach the basket you will see a gentle porpoising to the basket. That is the impact of your wings moving. I found by "splitting the difference" as it were between the high & low spots of that porpoising you will connect every time. Once connected look right at the tanker (you cant see it because of the canopy frame) to use as a reference to stay in position. 

16 hours ago, Razwald said:

The Jf-17 is the one I have an issue maintaining speed in AAR.  

Ditto, IMO its the hardest jet to AAR with. Its twitchy even when trimmed & the lag time on the throttle is significant making it hard to stay connected. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...