DCS 2.7 is LIVE! C L O U D S!

Vogel

Title says it all, it's a hefty patch chaps so better download somewhat ahead of time if you plan on flying.

Patch notes:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/openbeta/2.7.0.4625/

On a side note, the DCS 2.7 launch/Spring sale is now live for the standalone version of the sim, up to 50% off most modules! Tempted by the Viper tbh.

8 minutes ago, Vogel said:

DCS 2.7 launch/Spring sale is now live for the standalone version of the sim

Would it be worth picking up some modules now and install the standalone or wait for a Steam sale so I can have all my modules on steam?

Is there a notable distinction between the Steam and Standalone versions?

50 minutes ago, ScorchedBeans said:

Is there a notable distinction between the Steam and Standalone versions?

If you don't have DCS yet, don't get it through Steam.  As people have mentioned above, Steam will make you wait longer.

Also, go for DCS World Open Beta:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/beta/

This is what we fly 99.999% of the time.

I have everything on Steam.

All modules are available. 

As far as waiting it depends on the developer. One module was a few weeks I think it was the Mirage don't quote me on that. Other modules like the F-16 and F-18 I could pre purchase and download on the day of release.  I think lately if there is a wait its been no more than a week. 

5 hours ago, Vonrd said:

I'm pretty sure that some of the modules are Steam incompatible. That's why I don't have anything DCS on Steam.

To better clarify Steam has all the module. The issue is you can only do one or the other or have two installs of DCS. Steam copies will not work with the Store copies and vice versa. So if you choose one you are stuck with it. 

I'm too far in to switch to store version.

Now IL-2 on the other hand is compatible both ways. I have the Steam version of some releases and Store version of other releases. I do store version now only so I can fly the pre purchases aircraft while they are released. By the way I paid for FC2 with my credit card points so that was cool.

I bought the F-16C. It's super weird to fly. I'm used to traditional control systems in my aircraft, this fly by wire shenanigens doesn't feel right. It doesn't feel like my inputs are quite correct, I keep releasing my rolls to account for the natural inertia of the aircraft but there's just none of that. You stop moving the stick and the aircraft snaps to that position... I don't know if I'll get used to this!

One thing I will say though, holy cow the visibility with that bubble canopy! No frames or anything feels like there's nothing there almost, I wonder why this design wasn't repeated for the F-15 and later aircraft? Even the Typhoon has canopy frames and that's a relatively modern jet.

2 hours ago, Vogel said:

One thing I will say though, holy cow the visibility with that bubble canopy! No frames or anything feels like there's nothing there almost, I wonder why this design wasn't repeated for the F-15 and later aircraft? Even the Typhoon has canopy frames and that's a relatively modern jet.

I have wondered that myself.

9 minutes ago, Razwald said:

I have wondered that myself.

It was featured on the F-22, however the F-35 does indeed have a canopy frame by the front of the glass like most aircraft (even though it's hinge is mounted frontally it always looks weird being backwards). I'm wondering if it's an issue with structural strength or something. Given the awareness benefits it gives, there must be something we're missing for them not to continue it on other models.

11 hours ago, Vogel said:

The F15 is an earlier Aircraft. I read somewhere (I think it was a forum with lots of F16 maintainers in it) that the F16 has a limit of 600knots at ground level due to the canopy heating up and then deforming due to air friction.
During the development of the F16 getting the canopy right was quite a problem and pilots of the first F16As complained about distortion. Plus compared to the F15 the F16 canopy is quite a bit smaller.
I guess most of the time the cost and complications of a single piece canopy is just not woth it for the benefit it provides.
The difference between the F16 canopy and the F15 canopy (as an example) also should not be as great in real life as we dont have the ability to focus beyond the canopy frame in the sim.

Just to be clear: I'm not an expert in the field and most of the stuff I wrote are things I read about and my own thoughts. Pleas take everything with a grain of salt.