-
Posts
22,684 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
1,290
Everything posted by Klaiber
-
I had a much longer response to this, but the website ate it. It's probably for the better, as it was long. Either way, the 5 second version: I think you're 100% right. It's a deliberate obfuscation of strength designed to trick the French and the British during the interwar period into thinking the Luftwaffe is bigger than it actually was. The Luftwaffe circa 1935 had 20 front line squadrons. However, they weren't anywhere near fighting strength. When the Germans retook the Rhineland in 1936, for example, He 51's were flying over German troops in order to protect them. However, they had no ammunition! The whole thing was an elaborate gamble, with the Germans betting that the French would avoid a war at all cost. Regarding naming convensions of squadrons: The first squadrons in the Luftwaffe (circa 1934 through 1935) were called Fliegerstaffeln within the German military, with a "J" used to denote a fighter squadron. For example: Fliegerstaffel (J) 1. Often, however, these Fleigerstaffeln would have public names to make them sound innocuous. Remember, prior to 1935, the Luftwaffe was a clandestine organization. So, for example, the squadron which would eventually become JG2 was officially called DVL Reklame-Staffel Mitteldeutschland in 1934/5. It means: Central Germany Publicity Squadron. Either way: These Fligerstaffel, in 1935, started to adopted the naming syntax that we recognize from the Second World War. For example: Fliegerstaffel (J) 1 (my example from before) became 1./JG136. However, all of the Jagdgeschwaders had triple numbers at this point. JG134, JG135, JG232, etc. This is probably to make the uninformed think that there were lower numbered Jagdgeschwaders out there too, even though at this point they didn't exist. This triple number style of designation lasted right up until the Spring of 1939. Specifically, they lasted until May of 1939. In May 1939, all squadrons shifted in unison to the more simpler number system we recognize from the Second World War. Why? Probably because Fall Weiss (the Invasion of Poland) was about 3 months away. And at this point, obfuscation became less important than command and control. For example: I./JG130 becomes I./JG1, I./JG131 becomes I./JG2, II./JG231 becomes I./JG3, etc. Overall, it's an extremely interesting subject.
-
Almost all of the Jagdgeschwaders of the Second World War have a very convoluted and confusing history. As the Luftwaffe was establishing itself organizationally during the inter-war years (from 1933 to 1939), many fighter wings and squadrons were created, disbanded, merged and renamed to conform with the new directives from the OKL (Oberkommando der Luftwaffe). As a result, there is no easy explanation for why certain units received certain numbers. The WW2 version of JG1 thus has no ties to the WW1 version of JG1, just as the East German version of JG-1 has no ties to either Oesau or Richthofen. For example, II./JG1's history goes something like this: 1 July 1938 : II./JG 137 created as a new unit at Zerbst, Germany. 1 November 1938 : II./JG 137 re-designated II./JG 231 at Zerbst, Germany. 1 May 1939 : II./JG 231 re-designated I./JG 3 at Zerbst, Germany. 15 January 1942 : I./JG 3 re-designated II./JG 1 at Katwijk, Netherlands. 30 April 1945 : I./JG 1 and II./JG 1 merged to form I. (Einsatz)/JG 1 and II. (Sammel)/JG 1 at Leck, Germany. 4 May 1945 : I. (Einsatz)/JG 1 and II. (Sammel)/JG 1 merged again to form special consolidated Intervention groups (Einsatzgruppen) 5 May 1945 : ETO ends, all Einsatzgruppen disbanded. Not sure if that helps.
-
I can't wait for this patch. Should be awesome. Btw: does anyone know what happened to the Bf 110 radar system they were talking about a long time ago? It was supposed to be included in 4.10 and then 4.101, but don't think it ever was.
-
Cool, thanks for the heads up.
-
Yes, that's 4 gigabytes.
-
LOL! That's great.
-
I'll ask Raven.
-
I think you'd win that one... That's what I think too. :?
-
What is the error message you're getting? Next time it happens, could you write it down?
-
The official update: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=28376
-
It's a good idea. A Thach weave might be hard, though, with the excessive speed and poor rearward visibility.
-
That's what I thought at first too. But there are two conversations going at the same time. The discussion regarding the possibility of a dynamic campaign starts before page 20 and is wrapping up when page 21 starts. Then there is adonys' question on page 21 which is a separate thought, and focuses on Radio Comms, AI and then news on the patch. The clincher for me was on page 22, when you also have this: Yes. As soon as we resume work on the patch - I'll let you know about this. The one positive thing that he does say is this: So I guess we'll find out more today. Btw: in another thread' date=' someone is paraphrasing what they've found over on the Sukhoi.ru forums: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=28174
-
Not good, I'm afraid. Though the current information is very vague. It looks like work on the patch has been halted for some reason: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=28174&page=21 No' date=' the problem is not financial or programming. I can not tell more.[/quote']
-
Same, I would hope early, no gun.
-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_detail Level of Detail?
-
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=28085 Saw this on the 1C boards and thought it was interesting. Definitely worth a shot.
-
Download is taking forever for me.
-
Cool, thanks for the heads up!
-
If they had a flight sim with a Thud in it, I'd be sold. The Thunderchief has to be my favorite a/c of the era, with the F-4 coming out as close second.
-
That would be awesome! Seriously.
