Thursday night Wargrounds with US103rd

J5_Hotlead

"Who Dares, Wins" (Sig line)

I will never forget the first online squadron I was ever in (US 94th, RB3D), and our commander, Colonel Clay.  Being a newbie, I asked him how he shot down so many planes, even in adverse situations.  He said "No guts, no glory".  That attitude has served me well ever since then.

S!

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

Was thinking we could do with a bit of coordination on Servers for Thursday Fly-ins to help align promotion and guide pilots where to go.

The move to Flying Circus seems to be working out well and there's definitely a higher degree of interest in FC now. For this week we were quite keen to try out the J5 map, and then possibly alternate weekly between the JG1 and J5 servers.

Of course we're not sure of the plans for JG1 server, especially while FiF is on, so this is just a suggestion. There may also be new servers coming soon, Syndicate for example, so trying these out with larger squads and staying flexible on server choice for a while might be an idea before settling on any fixed rotation.

Then there's the subject of RoF. Is there any interest in going back for some pre-1918 maps there or do we leave that for Cuban's Sunday nights and occasional events?

Salute!

Thanks for bringing this up @US103_Baer! Personally, my schedule has gotten to the point where Thursday nights are difficult for me to attend, so I’ve been out of it for a bit. 😕 I appreciate you guys keeping it going while I’ve been gone! 

As far as my thoughts go, alternating between JG1 and J5’s server gives some variation and involves the greater community. I think it’s a good move. But, this leaves out early war scenarios on Cuban’s server. 🤔 Right now, FiF is filling that early war niche, but once that’s done, I think doing early war every once & awhile on Cuban’s could be fun. Maybe not run one life to live stats that mission? I definitely think that we should focus on Flying Circus for the majority though. Multiplayer needs a shot in the arm and I wonder if we don’t prove interest, 1C/777 may forestall creating a volume 2. 

I would love to hear the rest of JG1’s thoughts! None of these decisions are set in stone. This event has stayed alive since 2017 precisely because of our ability to be flexible and adapt. 👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back to FC JG1 server this Thursday gents.

A small request from our guys - wondering if can drop that Bodenplatte map from rotation on Thursday? With no NML, no clouds and aerodromes very close to front, it doesn't lend itself that well to mission/squad flying. Probably good as a fast food layout though.

See you all tomorrow. S!

We are at a fork in the road. Stay the course with what we have or go to mods on for new maps. Flashy showed me how to place new aerodromes with solid ground.  This allows for new fields in the north part of Arras map. It also allows for FiF  missions like Spy, general capture and Prison Rescue.

On all maps I have placed machine guns in trenches. This is not a solid line but groups with spaces in between.  WW II ships replaced with WW I river barges. They do not shoot and are only good for bomber practice. Trains are WW I with an single AAA car at the end. Car does not shoot but looks good. Balloons do not flare so I have a vehicle on the ground that does. Actual WW I tanks have replaced WW II armored cars. All Flak is WW I.

10 hours ago, Butzzell said:

On all maps I have placed machine guns in trenches. This is not a solid line but groups with spaces in between.  WW II ships replaced with WW I river barges. They do not shoot and are only good for bomber practice. Trains are WW I with an single AAA car at the end. Car does not shoot but looks good. Balloons do not flare so I have a vehicle on the ground that does. Actual WW I tanks have replaced WW II armored cars. All Flak is WW I.

Those changes sound good. But is this mods off or on? 

Getting the more casual pilots to switch to mods on will take a bit of communication.

1 hour ago, Butzzell said:

Mods are controlled in two ways,  You need the mod placed in your mods folder and you use JSME to activate the mod. Then you turn on mods in the settings on the launcher.

That is the way Mods are activated in Rise of Flight, I know.

But in BoX / FC there is no launcher... Only an Icon on desktop that first starts up steam (I have bought Battle of Stalingrad via Steam) and then starts BoX. I do not have any idea where could turn on any special mode before starting the game? 

Thanks, but I did not find a similar setting menue anywhere in steam, nor something similar to a launcher.exe. Well, there are startup options to enter parameters via line-commands, probably its possible to switch modes on this way....

Will search IL2-Forums for this when I really need it 😉