Back in the saddle

On 5/28/2021 at 10:06 PM, Labroisse said:

That was a good shot.

Thank you!  The second shot on the first plane was a bit of a toss up.

On 5/29/2021 at 9:19 AM, TedsOnMeds said:

Better gunnery than I could ever pull of, certainly. Good SA to pull the cut like that and force the overshoot, too. 

It was a risk because if he had pulled up and away like he should have it would have put me in a bad spot but I saw how hard he was turning and figured he was locked on to me.  Calculated risk that paid off.

20 hours ago, Klaiber said:

Very nice shot, Barton!

Thanks!

20 hours ago, Vonrd said:

Nice flying and very good explanation of the process... thanks!

Does "Back in the saddle" mean that you're going to be flying with us again? That's my hope. 👌 

Well, I've been a bit silent for a while because I've been helping planning my wedding which will be in two weeks.  After that is over and we get back from our honeymoon I should be able to set aside a bit of time regularly to get back in the air with everyone.  It is fun to fly solo but I miss flying with everyone.  Just hard to plan right now since my schedule is a bit nutty.

31 minutes ago, Barton said:

Well, I've been a bit silent for a while because I've been helping planning my wedding which will be in two weeks.  After that is over and we get back from our honeymoon I should be able to set aside a bit of time regularly to get back in the air with everyone.  It is fun to fly solo but I miss flying with everyone.  Just hard to plan right now since my schedule is a bit nutty.

Congratulations Barton!

Thanks for the well wishes! I got lucky with this one.  Everything is coming together for the planning so the stress level is coming down a bit.  It should be a fun night.  I should be back with some regularity in July after we get back from our honeymoon in TN.

I could do a bit more analysis with this fight pertaining to the visual cues I'm looking for and the level of understanding of most virtual pilots vs Aces.  

One of the reasons I win a lot of fights I probably shouldn't is because most pilots make the basic assumption that aerial fighting is all about getting your nose onto your target so they just turn into their opponent as hard as they can all the time.  That is what this P-51 did here.  The catch is that IF your opponent is INSIDE your turn radius no matter how hard you pull you will never get a solution.  In this case it is important to get more distance between you and your opponent so that they are again OUTSIDE of your turn radius so you can get your nose in front of them.  When the P-51 did not take the first opportunity to do this the first time he passed me in the vertical I was convinced he didn't understand this concept.  That was confirmed to me the second time he missed his opportunity to extend in the vertical.  This difference in understanding is why he wasted all of his energy chasing a shot he was never going to get and I forced an overshoot with near zero effort.

7 hours ago, Barton said:

Thanks for the well wishes! I got lucky with this one.  Everything is coming together for the planning so the stress level is coming down a bit.  It should be a fun night.  I should be back with some regularity in July after we get back from our honeymoon in TN.

Where you going in TN?